Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
atomizer OP
Be here now

Oddometer: 262
Talking In the market for a 950. plus-minus vs a 990?

Hey everyone,
I'm in the market for a 950. I hear 05 is the year to get. Willing to consider a 990 also but kinda like the idea of a carb vs fuel injection.
Any and all beta would be awesome.
I'm 6'4, 195 lbs and an experienced rider. I ride a 530 exc for my dirt thrills and want the bigger KTM to ride tarmac to get to some awesome FS roads and long multi day dirt trails.
I've read a bunch of the threads here and they have been very helpful. Open to more info and ideas.
Beers, Atom...

atomizer screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 01:28 PM Reason: spelling
atomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 166
I would get the 950. Carbs are easy to work on and less expensive then the fuel injection system.

I have a 2007 ktm 990 that I put Carbs on and I raced a 2010 990 R and my carbed bike is faster. Both bikes had the same gears ratio.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
jeventures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
'06 all the way

and not just because I have one for sale I love the throttle response of the carb 950. I haven't had to touch mine in the 2 years i've had the bike and they work very well with fmf pipes with basic jetting changes. That and 990 efi wasn't sorted well until quite recently ( I think, maybe not all would agree)....a late model 950 was easier on the wallet than a near new 990.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
atomizer OP
Be here now

nice

Thanks. You have an ad up for yours? Beers, Atom..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeventures View Post
and not just because I have one for sale I love the throttle response of the carb 950. I haven't had to touch mine in the 2 years i've had the bike and they work very well with fmf pipes with basic jetting changes. That and 990 efi wasn't sorted well until quite recently ( I think, maybe not all would agree)....a late model 950 was easier on the wallet than a near new 990.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 624
When I started looking at Adventures I thought that an ‘06 950 would be the way to go, but at the prices people were asking it just didn’t make sense. I ended up buying a new ’11 for only a few thousand more than a 6 year old 25,000 mile 950. At first I didn’t like the throttle response, but I suppose I got used to it because 5000 miles later it doesn’t bug me any more. And we were doing a trip through the Sierra’s last month and came across a group of luddites talking about carb adjustments required for the high elevations. Suckas…

el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
My bike rode great up to 12k feet, only requiring less choke than normal to get it started cold.. and this is with factory sea-level jetting.

Even if it turns out to be an issue, $99 for remote fuel screw adjusters eliminates that problem. And the carbed bike won't have a "snatchy" throttle.. I'd hate to guess what that would cost to REALLY fix. certainly more than $99.

EFI and carbs both have advantages and disadvantages.. Personally carbs, and getting the taller suspension plus almost all the mods I wanted to do (jesse cases, throttle lock, powerlets, SP suspension, decent hand guards, real skid plate, etc) for half the price of a new bike alone was a no-brainer.
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Slvrtundevl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Ive had 2- 04's... as long as you do the upgrades I'd go with the cheapest you can find.. My current 04 has had all the upgrades and is for sale in the FM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
atomizer OP
Be here now

nice bike

Very nice bike you have for sale. Wish you were closer to NM. My budget is also only about $5500.00 or so at the moment. Good luck with the sale. Thanks again to everyone that have given me some input. Beers, Atom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvrtundevl View Post
Ive had 2- 04's... as long as you do the upgrades I'd go with the cheapest you can find.. My current 04 has had all the upgrades and is for sale in the FM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a equipped used 950, but the ones I've found all seem to be in the northwest or the western mountains.I may end up having one shipped, but I'm hoping to avoid it. The 990 may be the answer, but I'm just not convinced yet. There still seems to be some new 990's around at dealers still.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 856
'05.5 and '06 motors had a lot of small though important improvements built in. I have an '06 and I'll keep it until they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Be aware though, either needs a bit of tweaking to get them right and its no bike for anyone afraid to spin a wrench.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvrtundevl View Post

I am new to the 950 and looking for a big bike. Considering a 950/ 990/ 1200GS. Are the upgrades you are mentioning handguards and skid plates, or engine issues that need to be sorted out?

Thanks!
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 991
I'd go with the non abs 990.
You can find a low mile '07 or '08 for a good price if you search around.
The S model will work great for a tall guy kike you.

My '07 990 A with Remus 2 into 1 exhaust, CPR filter and the Akro map
( thanks TuneECU ) and at 25,000 miles, has the best throttle response
of any bike I've owned.

I've had three of the carbed LC8's and spent the time to get them
jetted correctly ( thanks to the tuning maestros in the OC )
and they are great bikes but if you spend the time to get the
990's FI finely calibrated, I think you will have a better performing
bike.

I've had two 990's and just sold a '08 to a friend ( 60,000 mi. ) with just a Leo Vince Exhaust and stock map, airbox and TuneECU tuning
I had it close to as good as the one above.

Max
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,479
06 950 40,000 miles no troubles
I did the fuel pump upgrade to the faucet just cause took about hour and less than 100 bucks
I also did the clutch slave with the evo about 180 bucks and a hour of my time.
New water pump seal was done under warranty but I really think it was just a bad radiator cap!
Got the right springs for my fat ass and this bike is awesome!!! Best all arounder out there!!
Got the fmf pipes just to get rid of the cats and the heat from the stockers rejetted with the head to winds kit and pre filter!
renanzco seat and life is good!!!
Ride it!!!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote