User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Shock

Isn't the shock on the black one upside down?
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereahorn View Post
Isn't the shock on the black one upside down?
Yep. Orientation doesn't really affect function on reservoir shocks as it does on emulsion shocks, but yes, you should put the reservoir (heavier) end of the shock up to reduce your unsprung weight. That shock is definitely a bodge job.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,909
I kinda like the red one a bit more as well, just because it seems like a better bet. Too many unknowns in hte black one, although its a pretty good deal.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #19
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 553
My Vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I just need something to ride around on all the incredible dirt roads we have here
....I have got to believe that dirtroad week-end bike trips in Mexico are off the charts!!

My vote would be for the red one, as quality differential seems greater than price differential.

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 01:34 PM
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #20
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Although the black looks BADASS, I'm with the others, the red one seems to have had a better life. The hose clamps on the fuel lines point to an anal owner.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Comes complete with 'Barbie and Ken' solo seat and rack
I've got that same seat... I had a Black solo too. Asked around how people felt 'bout the blue and since everyone hated it I sold the Black one.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #22
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,832
The black bike looks bent and well used.
You could get some money for the single seat and rack.

The red bike looks a little better but I wonder why either bike was painted.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #23
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

We have a winner. The red bike ended up being in good enough condition that I bought it without even looking at the black one. The seller accepted my offer of $4000 and I rode it home 3 hours from Guadalajara in the rain without a hitch. It needs a few little things, but all in all it's in great shape. The paint is not original, as mentioned previously, but the PO went to the trouble of buying and applying all the original factory warning decals over the repaint. Super anal. Let's just say there's an MOA sticker on the back fender and leave it at that. The color is even REDDER than the photos show. ELECTRIC RED. It was dark and rainy all the way home yesterday and I could still feel the thing glowing underneath me. The bike was imported into Mexico in 2000 from California by an older guy, now in his 70s who sold it to the seller in January of 2011. He's barely ridden it since then and now had to sell it to cover some costs. The engine is very leak-free and makes good power. It blows a little puff of smoke when you crack the thottle wide open, but didn't consume any oil in the 200 miles I rode it. It got over an indicated 100mph without any trouble and fuel consumption appears to be about 40mpg at a constant 75-80mph. Steering head bearings are knocking a little and the shock could use a new rubber bushing on the swingarm end. Also, the brake light doesn't currently work, so that needs addressing too. I'll start with that, a valve adjustment, and all new fluids tonight. Only minus is that it's missing the original tool kit and box. Anybody got a spare they'd sell? More later.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 07:14 AM
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #24
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
We have a winner. The red bike ended up being in good enough condition that I bought it without even looking at the black one. The seller accepted my offer of $4000 and I rode it home 3 hours from Guadalajara in the rain without a hitch. It needs a few little things, but all in all it's in great original shape. The paint is not original, as mentioned previously, but the PO went to the trouble of buying and applying all the original factory warning decals over the repaint. Super anal. Let's just say there's an MOA sticker on the back fender and leave it at that. More later.
Man, I love buying from owners like that.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Man, I love buying from owners like that.
Damn, you quoted me mid-edit. By the way, your name idea is the current favorite. The thing is SO red. Photos can't convey the redness.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 415
buy them

Both ,,,as you cant get pd tanks anymore the value will keep going up .. Finally with a new wilbers and a new driveline two years of penny rolling ... worth more in parts
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #27
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,909
awesome. I just re-read the thing and somehow i missed that it had the sport shock. THat thing is pretty trick.

Now your heart will always be unsure if you like mono or para better
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Congrats Wrangler. Looks like a fun ride for your area.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #29
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Dug a little deeper last night. I dropped the motor oil which was pretty dirty and changed it. Final drive oil looked brand new, but got changed anyway. Only typical fuzz on the magnet. I opened the fill port on the trans to see how the oil looked and very clean oil came gushing out. The PO must've leaned it over on its right side to fill it and then REALLY filled it. I didn't end up changing it because what came out was so clean. The left side valves were right where I like 'em, .10/.17 intake/exhaust, the crash bar needed a good kick of a boot heel in order to get the rocker cover off though. The right side exhaust was also .17, but the intake was almost closed up so it got a little more wiggle room. The bike still has all the clean air crap on it, so I need to order up the parts to rip that out and block it off. Also, I think the shock might be due for a rebuild. It's got a bit of knocking going on internally. It compresses well, but then rebounds undamped a bit before the rebound damping suddenly kicks in with a knock. Anybody know where I can order new seals and bladder for this thing? What weight of oil to use and nitrogen pressure? This'll be my first shock rebuild on a bladder shock, so a little bit of learning involved here.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

After a little more research it looks like the shock shares a lot of spare parts with the WP 4681 BAVP shock used on early LC4s and I think the early dukes. Turns out it's not a bladder design, but instead a floating piston keeping the nitrogen and oil separate.

Owners manual here:
http://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2011/02/04...ers-manual.pdf

...and a later version here:
http://ktm.kicks-ass.org/ktm/KTM_man...681%20BAVP.pdf

Rebuild thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653302

Kind of an obscenely huge shock:

As far as rebound damping is concerned, "mine goes up to 11."

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 06:07 PM