Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #48451
Spike Paddy
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 99
Just took my stock bike and threw the 4.7 clarke tank and a seat concepts seat on there. Lovin' the look and feel of her right now!

Spike Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #48452
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
There's lots of thing I SHOULD have done before I left, but I didn't. Haha! LIke welding gussets to reinforce the rear subframe. Or finding something other than 44lbs of ammo can for panniers. Or having the bike totally tore down and rebuilt. Or learning more spanish. Or figuring out how I'm going to get a job after all of this. But sometimes you just have to stop talking about it, and preparing for it, and disecting each and every detail, and go and do it. Plus, there's this awesome forum where you can go ask people for advice on stuff you are unsure of! And generally you get some pretty good info and a few laughs. Haha!

Take for instance my luggage rack. It broke in San Diego after 1,000 miles. I had it rewelded in about 20 minutes, then re-thought my load out, moved some stuff around, sent some stuff home, and threw some stuff away. Problem solved....for now. It may break again. But who cares! If it does, I'll find a "soldaduro" or whatever it's called and keep pushing. Half the fun of this kind of a trip is figuring stuff out along the way. That's why it's called an adventure.

Plus, I'm far from being the least mechanically savy person to ever take this trip. I can change a tire in about 2 or 3 hours. That's pretty damn good, right? Just kidding. I can do it in about 20-30 minutes. Maybe faster. Who knows. I wasn't sitting in my garage, timing myself on tire changes for the last few weeks before this trip. I was drinking beer, saying goodbye to my girlfriend, and trying to convince my parents that I wasn't going to die.

I'm not trying to be snarky about this, and thank you for your advice, but I'm just tired of people telling me how everything is going to fail or my bike is going to blow up, or how I won't make it, or how I'm underprepared. Who cares! At least I'm doing it. And I'm having fun doing it. Sure, I don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time, and I generally make an ass of myself asking stupid questions about a bike that I've barely ridden, but yesterday I had a priest bless my bike with holy water (seriously), rode like a bat out of hell through the most dangerous state in Mexico, added 100ml of oil to my bike, and made friends with a Mexican Cop on a Sportster, and I'm still alive and riding, so I think everything is going to work out. Haha!

And seriously, no hard feelings. I just wanted to know what the best way to clean my air filter was.

So, I'll get off my soapbox now. Is the general opinion that dish detergent is the best way to go?
Anybody who takes on an adventure like you is a hero in my book
Don't sweat the armchair quarterbackers and jealous naysayers, you're on the adventure of a life time most folks will never take......and you'll come back a changed person...for the better I bet

And dish soap or laundry soap will clean most oils out of your filter.....thats all I've ever used, won't destroy the filter but will get it clean and looking like new with a couple washings/rinsings.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #48453
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmy21b View Post
Just took my stock bike and threw the 4.7 clarke tank and a seat concepts seat on there. Lovin' the look and feel of her right now!

Enjoy that white tank while its still white, pretty soon its going to start turning birdshit yellow from the inside out as the gas stains it......next time get any color but white. I hate the white tank that came on mine, just too cheap at the moment to pay a couple hundred+ bucks to replace a fully functional part, just because its yellowing.
That may change soon tho.......
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #48454
Spike Paddy
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Enjoy that white tank while its still white, pretty soon its going to start turning birdshit yellow from the inside out as the gas stains it......next time get any color but white. I hate the white tank that came on mine, just too cheap at the moment to pay a couple hundred+ bucks to replace a fully functional part, just because its yellowing.
That may change soon tho.......
Damn, wish I knew that before...can't you just repaint it?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #48455
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,490
Man, I wish I could get some of my truck parts sold so that I could buy a new clutch kit for the Pig...

It's still getting me back and forth to school, but it's definitely slipping when I try to accelerate hard.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #48456
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:

Nope, paint will just bubble up from the gas. You can get some tank sealer and that will help.

Pretty sure when I can afford it I'm getting a black Clark 4.7 for mine, or a white Acerbis 5.8 (I don't really care what mine looks like anyways).
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #48457
Spike Paddy
Space Cowboy

Ahh well. I was going to eventually try and turn the rest of the bike white. I guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Either way I'll be happy to get more mileage out of the tank.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #48458
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Unfortunately no....but softscrub and a scotchbrite pad can keep the yellowing down if you stay on it before it gets too bad. I have a few tricks I'm going to try on mine, if they work I'll let the forum know......I know its an issue that everybody with a white tank faces eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Man, I wish I could get some of my truck parts sold so that I could buy a new clutch kit for the Pig...

It's still getting me back and forth to school, but it's definitely slipping when I try to accelerate hard.
Remember, the more slipping, the more clutch material is going to be spreading into your oil. I'd def check the oil screens in the line and case when you change the oil and replace the clutch. You don't want excess clutch material blocking an oil line or passage.

Personally I park a machine when the clutch starts to go till I can replace it.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #48459
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

This is the kit i replaced my oem clutch with. the oem clutch only lasted me 40,000 miles. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...50l+clutch+kit
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #48460
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,268
Quote:
There's a thread on thumper talk describing how to use dye to recolor a tank. I don't have the link on my phone....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #48461
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
This is the kit i replaced my oem clutch with. the oem clutch only lasted me 40,000 miles. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...50l+clutch+kit
I didn't have good results with this kit. I replaced the stock clutch with this one and it was worse than the worn out original. It stuck really bad when first starting out. I had to jerk the clutch handle a bunch of times, every time to break the clutch pack loose. I tried different oils with only slightly different results. Personally, I would not recommend this one, but would stick to a name brand or OEM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #48462
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,498
WD-40 on a rag does wonders for cleaning plastic. Tank, sidecovers etc.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #48463
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
There's lots of thing I SHOULD have done before I left, but I didn't. Haha! LIke welding gussets to reinforce the rear subframe. Or finding something other than 44lbs of ammo can for panniers. Or having the bike totally tore down and rebuilt. Or learning more spanish. Or figuring out how I'm going to get a job after all of this. But sometimes you just have to stop talking about it, and preparing for it, and disecting each and every detail, and go and do it. Plus, there's this awesome forum where you can go ask people for advice on stuff you are unsure of! And generally you get some pretty good info and a few laughs. Haha!

Take for instance my luggage rack. It broke in San Diego after 1,000 miles. I had it rewelded in about 20 minutes, then re-thought my load out, moved some stuff around, sent some stuff home, and threw some stuff away. Problem solved....for now. It may break again. But who cares! If it does, I'll find a "soldaduro" or whatever it's called and keep pushing. Half the fun of this kind of a trip is figuring stuff out along the way. That's why it's called an adventure.

Plus, I'm far from being the least mechanically savy person to ever take this trip. I can change a tire in about 2 or 3 hours. That's pretty damn good, right? Just kidding. I can do it in about 20-30 minutes. Maybe faster. Who knows. I wasn't sitting in my garage, timing myself on tire changes for the last few weeks before this trip. I was drinking beer, saying goodbye to my girlfriend, and trying to convince my parents that I wasn't going to die.

I'm not trying to be snarky about this, and thank you for your advice, but I'm just tired of people telling me how everything is going to fail or my bike is going to blow up, or how I won't make it, or how I'm underprepared. Who cares! At least I'm doing it. And I'm having fun doing it. Sure, I don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time, and I generally make an ass of myself asking stupid questions about a bike that I've barely ridden, but yesterday I had a priest bless my bike with holy water (seriously), rode like a bat out of hell through the most dangerous state in Mexico, added 100ml of oil to my bike, and made friends with a Mexican Cop on a Sportster, and I'm still alive and riding, so I think everything is going to work out. Haha!

And seriously, no hard feelings. I just wanted to know what the best way to clean my air filter was.

So, I'll get off my soapbox now. Is the general opinion that dish detergent is the best way to go?

Dishsoap no gas mineral sprits yes......... dish soap may remove some oil.but you need ALL the oil off to release the dirt trapped into it....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #48464
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:

Paint will peel right off.....

Caswell tank sealer.......line the tank with it and it`ll likely stay white forever..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #48465
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
That's the one I was looking at. Heard mostly good reviews on it and it is affordable.
Quote: