Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #31
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Oddometer: 539
That is part of the Alpine Loop in Colorado . You can easily spend one month there exploring all the trails . Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve canyon View Post
Looks like a whole lot of fun..

Those trails look fantastic...

f650gsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Day 5 Salina UT to Baker NV

Day 5 Salina UT to Baker NV

We spent the night before at a campground in Salina along with two other riders from Mississippi . Both were on TAT and both are part of advrider.com - Adam ( Trialsbikeadam ) and his buddy Justin . In the morning we had breakfast at Mom's Cafe where we meet another rider doing TAT . I can't remember his name anymore but I do remember that his riding partner badly crashed on Eagle Canyon few days prior and had to leave home .

As the day went we did well for the most part , less the ATV trail from Richfield to Kanosh . I disliked it 5 years ago and we disliked it this year . Going up hill was OK but going down hill was horrible . We just couldn't ride the bikes slow enough without sliding . It is very steep , has round loose rocks and the ATV tracks just sends you all over . To make sure that we don't crash badly we slowly lowered the bikes with the engines off . We got lost few times and had to back-track the trail as our GPS units had some messed up maps uploaded . Made it safe to Baker NV after another long day on the saddle .

f650gsa screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 03:58 PM
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #33
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,562
Laugh Moms Cafe...

Had lunch there with my buddy Lionsroaar when we did the TAT Sept. 2010. Good food but we listened to arguing in the kicthen the whole time we were there. Had a scone with honey butter for dessert. HMMM HMMM!
You're the first ones I've ever seen post pics of that long atv downhill outside of Richfield UT. My brakes were fading bad by the time I got to the bottom of that hill. Great ride though.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #34
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

The food is great and everyone was awesome at Mom's Cafe . We had many other pics from this trip but were lost due to a computer malfunction , so I am using only what was taken by me . All Kion's pics are lost forever ! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Had lunch there with my buddy Lionsroaar when we did the TAT Sept. 2010. Good food but we listened to arguing in the kicthen the whole time we were there. Had a scone with honey butter for dessert. HMMM HMMM!
You're the first ones I've ever seen post pics of that long atv downhill outside of Richfield UT. My brakes were fading bad by the time I got to the bottom of that hill. Great ride though.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #35
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Day 6 Baker NV to Eureka NV

I forgot to mention that the night before we had the pleasure to meet and had dinner with the two-up group from New Zealand that were also riding TAT . Phil and his wife Dawn then Andrew and Gale . Their full ride report can be found here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815869 . Very friendly ,good company and I wish we had more time to share our stories .

There were no major delays this day and almost everything went good . But there are couple of advice's to be given and I will strongly suggest to take them in consideration .

1. Watch for deep sand pockets on the gravel roads . Can be easily spotted as they have a lighter color . Phil and Dawn had their share this year as I had mine five years ago .

2. Flash storms/flooding - went trough one and in matter of minutes the road was all washed out .

3. And a easy one - take lots and lots of pics . This part of Nevada is just gorgeous .

Phil's unlucky encounter !

How about this ! A headless Elk !

Very slippery and I went down . Got my boots all wet as the water was over one feet deep .

f650gsa screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 06:57 AM
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #36
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Day 7 Eureka NV to McDermit NV

Day 7 Eureka NV to McDermit NV

For the most part Day 7 went smooth with few incidents to mention , two of them were Kion's unlucky crashes . One time broke his mirror due to a pot-hole on a dirt covered bridge then second time crashed at night on the desert and lost his $300 intercom . Crashed too as the terrain got very dusty and pockets of deep sand . Had been a long day , once again , as we underestimated the last 50 miles before McDermit and rode it at night . Not the safest way as wildlife is very active - have seen at least 50 rabbits , two of them killed by Kion's .

f650gsa screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 06:00 AM
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #37
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Day 8 McDermit NV to Lakeview OR

Day 8 McDermit NV to Lakeview OR

By now we are getting close to the end of our vacation and we had to take few shortcuts . The last 100 miles of Nevada were skipped and took the highway instead . This day was OK but very dusty and the scenery like a moon landscape . Part of the trail goes trough Disaster Peak and indeed was a disaster . A week prior to our arrival a major wild fire burnt down the entire valley .

f650gsa screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 05:37 AM
Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #38
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
[QUOTE=f650gsa;19960317]Day 6 Baker NV to Eureka NV

I forgot to mention that the night before we had the pleasure to meet and had dinner with the two-up group from New Zealand that were also riding TAT . Phil and his wife Dawn then Andrew and Gale . Their full ride report can be found here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815869 . Very friendly ,good company and I wish we had more time to share our stories .

There were no major delays this day and almost everything went good . But there are couple of advice's to be given and I will strongly suggest to take them in consideration .

1. Watch for deep sand pockets on the gravel roads . Can be easily spotted as they have a lighter color . Phil and Dawn had their share this year as I had mine five years ago .

2. Flash storms/flooding - went trough one and in matter of minutes the road was all washed out .

3. And a easy one - take lots and lots of pics . This part of Nevada is just gorgeous .

Phil's unlucky encounter !

I remember that spot well ! ! Left us a little beaten up. I landed face first so was a bit dazed afterwards and had a sore shoulder. Dawns shoulder was a little sore but not too bad. Could have been a lot worse. We rode on slowly for a while then had a stop to straighten out the twist in the bars/forks. A couple of Panadol's helped with the headache ! After Patterson Pass you came to a gas stop. There was a huge thunderstorm passing nearby and as it was mid afternoon, and I didnt think we had enough time to do the next section we decided to go to Ely that night. We followed your wheel tracks the next day, and probably several days.
Heres a couple of pics Dawn took juust after we crashed.

Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #39
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

I am glad you guys made it to the end and I hope you had a great time in The States . Ride Safely !

[QUOTE=Phreaky Phil;20024364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f650gsa View Post

I remember that spot well ! ! Left us a little beaten up. I landed face first so was a bit dazed afterwards and had a sore shoulder. Dawns shoulder was a little sore but not too bad. Could have been a lot worse. We rode on slowly for a while then had a stop to straighten out the twist in the bars/forks. A couple of Panadol's helped with the headache ! After Patterson Pass you came to a gas stop. There was a huge thunderstorm passing nearby and as it was mid afternoon, and I didnt think we had enough time to do the next section we decided to go to Ely that night. We followed your wheel tracks the next day, and probably several days.
Heres a couple of pics Dawn took juust after we crashed.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #40
Freeman42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Awesome.

Great pics.
Freeman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #41
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 428
Your perseverance paid off. Good job on completing the TAT

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #42
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Thank You

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman42 View Post
Great pics.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #43
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Thanks

Thank You and few more days to report .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
Your perseverance paid off. Good job on completing the TAT
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #44
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Day 9 Lakeview OR to Shady Cove OR

Day 9 Lakeview OR to Shady Cove OR

The day started in a slow pace and kind of disappointing . I was expecting TAT scenery to be awesome on this parts but it turned out to be kind of boring . After a good 40 miles of the same fire roads we had enough and bailed on it . To raise the level of excitement at full capacity and not just take the highway we took a detour to Crater Lake National Park , that by the way is AWESOME !

Discovering USA on a 3 HP ! http://wagonteamster.com/

Unfortunately it flu into my helmet and died instantly . I am a bird killer !

f650gsa screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 05:21 PM
Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #45
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Day 10 Shady Cove OR to Port Ordford OR

Day 10 Shady Cove OR to Port Ordford OR

With sadness this day was the last one on TAT . For the most part we had a good day until we got lost and the road turned out to go nowhere . Got slapped in the head by a branch and lost control of the bike that almost went down the cliff . Luckily the weight of the bike , the luggage and my quick judgement stooped a disaster . No harm done and we were back on the road in no time . The nature is great around here and the closer you get to the ocean the better it looks . Made it to Port Ordford by 6 pm with big smiles on our faces and had dinner on the dock in a very small restaurant , about 7 tables .
What a trip this was and after a 5 long years I am finally at the end . I am very proud of myself and now looking for the next big trip , maybe Alaska or Mexico !

Now it's time to return home and this was another adventure as we avoided all major highways and took secondary roads to few National Parks . Stay tuned for next replays !

It was only 150 feet deep !

And a Dead End !

Getting closer to The Pacific !

Apparently there is fiber optics in the middle of nowhere and need it to be fixed as the whole road collapsed .

And we have made it !!!!!!

f650gsa screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 05:49 AM