Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #121
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I'm considering getting one of these, but I'd love to test drive one. Are there any in Maine or New England that somebody has mounted up on a 690?
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #122
Olleg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Ordered it, impatiently waiting to come. Will post some pictures when it arrive.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #123
Hrspwr Hero
wipe off 50 or.....

Oddometer: 74
Hi Ian,

Have you ever looked at making a tinted version of the windscreen?

Cheers
Paul
Hrspwr Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #124
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrspwr Hero View Post
Hi Ian,

Have you ever looked at making a tinted version of the windscreen?

Cheers
Paul
Yep, we used to have a tinted option, but the problem is that they get so scratched up in typical off road use that they look awful after a couple of weeks.

The other thing is that visually, the tinted screen draws your eyes away from the fairing shape and so in the fully up position, it doesn't really look very good. Practical, yes- but like most practical screens, not so 'easy' on the eyes.

Cheers Ian
Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #125
Hrspwr Hero
wipe off 50 or.....

Oddometer: 74
Anyone care to comment on the level of wind protection on the Lynx compared to the likes of the Rally Raid fairing kit?
Hrspwr Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #126
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,396
Frankly, if I felt I could afford a Rally Raid kit, I wouldn't have bought a Lynx.

IMHO the rally fairing is more about protecting the instrument tower and headlights than it is about offering rider wind protection. The lynx does pretty well despite it's size.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #127
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Note from Ian

Thought I'd post this reply email from Ian which was very helpful in understanding my options. I'm 6-2 and I am SOOO over the noise and chest push of the OEM "touring windsheild" for the 690e. Here's what Ian says:

"
I hear you on the ‘big’ Adv bikes and I guess that’s really how the Lynx came about. At the time it was designed, I had a big GS 1150 and a Husky 610 and I always faced the problem of which bike to take on a trip. I concluded that the only benefit of the GS was ‘getting me there’ and was no fun at all once off road. So, I went about trying to ‘soften’ the 610 for journeys and along with a decent seat and Luggage, the Lynx was created.

Anyway, there are ways of increasing the wind coverage and this starts by fitting one of our screens from the Mirage 2 ( for the GS800). This is 1- 1/2” taller and an inch wider and runs with the same slots and clamps. I won’t say the difference is huge, but it is better. The only reason we don’t make the Lynx screen bigger in the first place, is that the screen becomes more vulnerable in a tumble off road. We are actually thinking of offering this screen as a second ‘touring screen’ option on the Lynx.

Beyond that, some guys have fitted the small 10”Laminar lip extension shown here : http://www.laminarlip.com/cruisers.php which works well.

As for lights, if you don’t ride a whole lot at night, the best combo is HID low beam/Halogen High. As you are probably aware, most people don’t use hi beam that much, so there isn’t much gain by investing $95 in that light. However, the low beam is on at all times so you are saving the system 30w all of the time ( 35w vs 65w). 50% more light doesn’t go amiss either on these darker days ! This is the most popular light combo we do and nearly 90% of guys have HID on one or both lights ( normally just the low)."
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #128
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Does anyone in the Los Angeles area have the Lynx on their 690 that I could see in person? much appreciated
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #129
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Ordering mine today with the mirage 2 screen. Money back guarantee so I can't afford not to see if this solves the problem. Will report back after a couple freeway blasts.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #130
BackCountryCruizer
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Kudos to Britannia Composites!!

I've had my Lynx on for over 12000 miles now and could not be happier with a product and especially the service that Ian provides. In September I was on a 11 day ride. I crashed in the MUD in the desert outside of Green River Utah,

Besides breaking my wind screen, the fairing broke at the top of the adjustment slot. I still rode 2000 miles on home with no problems. When I got home I contacted Ian to find out how to go about repairing the damage. Ian emailed back that he would repair the damage for free if I paid shipping. I did and had my fairing back in 6 working days with all damage repaired and looking almost new.
Here's a few photos and short video showing the HID low beam and Halogen high beam in southern Oregon.

Great product and even better service!! No disappointments here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/650tom
BackCountryCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #131
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackCountryCruizer View Post
I've had my Lynx on for over 12000 miles now and could not be happier with a product and especially the service that Ian provides. In September I was on a 11 day ride. I crashed in the MUD in the desert outside of Green River Utah,

Besides breaking my wind screen, the fairing broke at the top of the adjustment slot. I still rode 2000 miles on home with no problems. When I got home I contacted Ian to find out how to go about repairing the damage. Ian emailed back that he would repair the damage for free if I paid shipping. I did and had my fairing back in 6 working days with all damage repaired and looking almost new.
Here's a few photos and short video showing the HID low beam and Halogen high beam in southern Oregon.

Great product and even better service!! No disappointments here.
Many thanks for posting the photos and video ( and for the kind comments)

Cheers Ian
Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #132
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 577
Just wondering how this fairing is attached... I'm putting forks from a ktm 450 on another bike and would be interested in this fairing.... hence wondering how it attaches...I'm guessing it fits on a stock ktm frame by some way or another to existing screw points?!?
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #133
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
Just wondering how this fairing is attached... I'm putting forks from a ktm 450 on another bike and would be interested in this fairing.... hence wondering how it attaches...I'm guessing it fits on a stock ktm frame by some way or another to existing screw points?!?
No problem fitting a Lynx to the KTM forks and the top and bottom triples are the only place the Lynx anchors to. Just send me an email ( www.britanniacomposites.com ) and we can talk about the options, depending on the bike you are fitting to. We send lots of Lynx's to Blighty and the Lights are orientated for your side of the road ( is there a correct side of the road on Dartmoor ?)

Cheers Ian
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #134
marshy19
Georgia Clay

Oddometer: 18
Ian,
After riding my 690 almost 3000 miles from San Francisco to Atlanta, I've seen the limitations of the stock light. Any pictures of stock light low/high vs the new lights hid/ halogen and hid/hid? I also love the idea of being able to raise and lower the wind screen.

Looking for the next perfect trail...
marshy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #135
tertsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I have older model Lynx screen on my -11 690R and the lights and wind protection are great. ...but I have experineced problem with tacho (speed meter) placement. Brake lines hit into tacho every time when wheeling or front suspension is streching out. Tacho mounts are already break due that. I managed to fix it but I afraid that it will break again. Anyone have similar experience and is there any way to avoid that? Longer brake lines could be a solution but I don't want to do that.

tertsu screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 10:20 AM
tertsu is offline   Reply With Quote