Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
mdw403 OP
Mike

Oddometer: 77
Day 16 Alexandrouopolis to Belgrade, Serbia

Felt a bit down today. The realisation that the trip was coming to an end, it was hammering down with rain and the roads were slippy as hell.

The roads in Greece were completely empty. We headed along a main motorway heading West and the only cars we saw were Mercedes and BMW. It was as if everyone with a normal car could not afford the petrol to drive it and only the super rich were able to get around by this mode of transport.

We stopped at a garage around Komotini for fuel only to be told they can't take cards as they can't afford the charges from the bank for the line to use the card. Luckily we just had enough in Euros to pay. It seems to me Greece is not in a happy place at the minute, just like me.

However something must change soon and it did. As soon as we crossed the border into Bulgaria the roads changed to the tarmac we enjoy and take so much for granted in the UK.

It was still raining but that did not matter as we now had grip. We made quick progress and soon made the Serbian border.

Another easy crossing and another toilet stop for Al.

He was not feeling any better so I suggested we head for Belgrade and find a hotel. A single room each and a little bit of comfort. He was more than happy with that so off we went to the Best Western in the suburbs of a city that has been in the news so much in the last 10 - 15 years.

There is no way I was coming to Belgrade, paying 90 Euros for a room and not getting out and seeing some of the city, so I ordered a taxi, bundled Al in and headed into town.

We had a wander around the centre admiring all the pretty women… I mean sights, and came across a pub with English football on. We found a seat outside the pub right next to the busy walk way, I had a beer whilst Al stuck to the coke and we chilled, just watching the world go by. As my riding partner was feeling a bit better we decided to find some food but as he was still recovering we opted for a good restaurant rather than a street vendor.

We did get chatting to a guy who told us Red Star were playing that night and that the prodigy were playing in town early hours of the morning, I desperately wanted to go, but Al just was not playing.

Fully satisfied we retired to the hotel for a well earned nights rest.