Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
email sent woody
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #62
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Are the shaft seals perishable? Do they need replacing when changing bearings or can you reuse the old ones?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #63
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,386
bearing seals perishable???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
Are the shaft seals perishable? Do they need replacing when changing bearings or can you reuse the old ones?

bearing seals are considered a consumable item,,,their life dependendent on how much dirt,grunge ,water,get mixed together t to decrease their lifespan,,or how clean ya keep em to extend their süan,,,we routinely change em when they no longer have tension on thr axle and or spacers they ride on,,,
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #64
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
bearing seals are considered a consumable item,,,their life dependendent on how much dirt,grunge ,water,get mixed together t to decrease their lifespan,,or how clean ya keep em to extend their süan,,,we routinely change em when they no longer have tension on thr axle and or spacers they ride on,,,
woody
Thanks. I'll order some seals as well then.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #65
vudu_52
Black Magic

Oddometer: 126
Spacer size Disk side

I've misplaced by disk side spacer. It may take some time to get a replacement so I was hoping someone on this forum/thread may know the physical size of that spacer so I can get a machine shop to make a replacement. Desperate for riding this weekend......

"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." Jubal Harshaw

vudu_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #66
vudu_52
Black Magic

Oddometer: 126
Found it, thanks.....

I found it. It had dropped out when I leant the wheel against a step ladder.
It was sitting on the bottom rung.

"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." Jubal Harshaw

vudu_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #67
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Holler if ya need one,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu_52 View Post
I've misplaced by disk side spacer. It may take some time to get a replacement so I was hoping someone on this forum/thread may know the physical size of that spacer so I can get a machine shop to make a replacement. Desperate for riding this weekend......
Tried to answer earlier,,but my I-Pad ran out of juice,,,,we would have sent ya one,,,but as ijust read,,lucky you,,ya found it,,,,

The spacer should be held in by the tension of the seal lips
,,,,once they wear down due to dirt/ .moisture making a rubbing compound,,,the lips get loose and the spacer can drop out readily,,,hence time to replace em...

On another note,,, returning to the main topic of this thread,,when seals fall out easily tis a warning that your bearing is wearing out,,,so keep on checking those disc side bearings especially,,they usually are the first to go...

Of course banging into stuff doesn't help much to keep your spacer from getting knocked out

So go ride and enjoy your self,,
Woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 09:44 AM
Old 12-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #68
Javier800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Crappy cheap bearings on the BMW F800GS

Last Friday I was doing an offroad trail (100kms to go plus 100kms to come back) and when I was right at the end of the track I started hearing a strange noise down there. I thought it was may be the tension of the chain, but I checked it and it looked alright. Even if it had been a little loose it woulnd't have done such a noise. So I had to do another 100kms offroad trail back home, and when I was at only 10kms from my house, with the sun set, almost dark, riding at 70-80 kph in fourth gear I lost power suddenly, stopped and realized that the chain was out due to a bearings failure. The right bearing of the back wheel was completely desintegrated, the hub had moved out and the chain had come out generating a complete mess and a lot of damage down there, including the swingarm which was completely damaged.

My bike is 20 months old, still under guarantee, and 35.000 kms on the odometer. When they toed it to the BMW dealer on Monday I claimed guarantee repair and they were complaining about stupid things such as that I had changed the exhaust or the front wheel rim (stock is the most crappy thing you see on a dual sport bike)...

I think it is a shame for a company like BMW to mount such a crappy bearing which now I am reading that it fails in most cases a lot earlier that they would be supposed to do. How can they mount such cheap bad quality things on an expensive "state of the art" dual sport bike? And knowing that, trying to blame me for the failure to get away of the guarentee is just sick.

I love the bike, but it is a shame they mount crappy components. BMW repautation for me is no longer credible. Shame on them
Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #69
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Are the bearing problems sorted now?

Hi all,
I have bought myself a new F800GS and wonder what is the latest on the bearing issue? Has BMW sorted this out now?
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #70
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
Hi all,
I have bought myself a new F800GS and wonder what is the latest on the bearing issue? Has BMW sorted this out now?
Hello everyone,

On this issue, the majority of bearing failures happened on the 2008 and some 2009 models and an occasional one thereafter.

once again,,i want to set the record straight,,,,riders with these incidents refer to the part that failed ie the bearing failed...yes the bearing failed however what truly failed was the QC on the part of the hub manufacturer,,,they didn't catch a big batch of hubs that undersized bearing bores...

they built wheels with those hubs,,mounted em on all the bikes they were building ...eventually they caught on but it took em awhile and of course you are left holding the bag in most cases...

we have the RX though.

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-14-2015 at 07:00 PM
Old 02-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #71
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Picked up a new to me 2009 F800gs with 8236 miles two days ago. Today, exactly at 8300 miles, the rear bearing on the disk side let go. Good thing I was going slow and pulled right over. It's GONE and took the seal and spacer with it. Very disappointed.
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #72
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Rx we have it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by (I^2)R/746 View Post
Picked up a new to me 2009 F800gs with 8236 miles two days ago. Today, exactly at 8300 miles, the rear bearing on the disk side let go. Good thing I was going slow and pulled right over. It's GONE and took the seal and spacer with it. Very disappointed.
a few days ago we posted this to an inquiry regarding the ''bearing failure'' situation,,,sorry you got snookered,,,replacing your bearing will only get ya another 5-8000 miles down the road...

Rx = measuring the bearing bore and honing out for proper crush diameter.
FYI both sides are uundersized the disc side more than sprocket side hence always goes bad first..$100 parts n labor,,just a day or two turn around time..have done at least a hundred...zero comebacks ,,we re-pack with waterproof trailer grease...hear stories happy chappies hav egon e50-80,000 miles no problems.

woody
Old 02-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #73
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

it's NOT ''bad bearings'' causing them to fail..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier800 View Post
Last Friday I was doing an offroad trail (100kms to go plus 100kms to come back) and when I was right at the end of the track I started hearing a strange noise down there. I thought it was may be the tension of the chain, but I checked it and it looked alright. Even if it had been a little loose it woulnd't have done such a noise. So I had to do another 100kms offroad trail back home, and when I was at only 10kms from my house, with the sun set, almost dark, riding at 70-80 kph in fourth gear I lost power suddenly, stopped and realized that the chain was out due to a bearings failure. The right bearing of the back wheel was completely desintegrated, the hub had moved out and the chain had come out generating a complete mess and a lot of damage down there, including the swingarm which was completely damaged.

My bike is 20 months old, still under guarantee, and 35.000 kms on the odometer. When they toed it to the BMW dealer on Monday I claimed guarantee repair and they were complaining about stupid things such as that I had changed the exhaust or the front wheel rim (stock is the most crappy thing you see on a dual sport bike)...

I think it is a shame for a company like BMW to mount such a crappy bearing which now I am reading that it fails in most cases a lot earlier that they would be supposed to do. How can they mount such cheap bad quality things on an expensive "state of the art" dual sport bike? And knowing that, trying to blame me for the failure to get away of the guarentee is just sick.

I love the bike, but it is a shame they mount crappy components. BMW repautation for me is no longer credible. Shame on them
i feel your pain and the hundreds of other F800gS riders that got snookered with this problem..Consider yourself lucky that you caught it early ,unlike the folks who suffered major environmental damage to their wheels and brake components..
FYI
On this issue, the majority of bearing failures happened on the 2008 and some 2009 models and an occasional one thereafter.

once again,,i want to set the record straight,,,,riders with these incidents refer to the part that failed ie the bearing failed...yes the bearing failed however what truly failed was the QC on the part of the hub manufacturer,,,they didn't catch a big batch of hubs that undersized bearing bores...

they built wheels with those hubs,,mounted em on all the bikes they were building ...eventually they caught on but it took em awhile and of course you are left holding the bag in most cases...many dealers have given the BMW BS reply,,,ya did something out of the ordinary,,ya washed your bike too hard/power washed etc,,others got savy when their ADVrider clientelle pointed ou tmy findings and Rx,,,and quite a few either sent their customers to me or the wheels themselve sfor myRx..some got complete new wheels or relaced a new hub to the wheel,,most simply swapped out the bearings and sent their customers on the way..
FYI..most all BMW components carry a 2 year warranty..so it was no skin off their back to just replace the bearings as needed..

we have the RX though.

woody
Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #74
(I^2)R/746
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
a few days ago we posted this to an inquiry regarding the ''bearing failure'' situation,,,sorry you got snookered,,,replacing your bearing will only get ya another 5-8000 miles down the road...

Rx = measuring the bearing bore and honing out for proper crush diameter.
FYI both sides are uundersized the disc side more than sprocket side hence always goes bad first..$100 parts n labor,,just a day or two turn around time..have done at least a hundred...zero comebacks ,,we re-pack with waterproof trailer grease...hear stories happy chappies hav egon e50-80,000 miles no problems.

woody
Thanks Woody,
I stuck new bearings in there as I just got the bike and am having clavicle surgery soon so just wanted to ride a bit. When I replaced them I used heat/freeze and still had to tap them in quite a bit. So my crush is too much. Especially the disk side (the sprocket side and carrier were significantly easier). ALMOST a drop in... hard to get it perfect needed some little taps with a small drift. The disk side needed to be walked in all the way. When I get a few miles on them I'll send it on over to you for repair. Totally unacceptable this is supposed to be an ADVENTURE bike! Thanks for the hard work and research on this nice to have you as a resource.
-Jim
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #75
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

told ya so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by (I^2)R/746 View Post
Thanks Woody,
I stuck new bearings in there as I just got the bike and am having clavicle surgery soon so just wanted to ride a bit. When I replaced them I used heat/freeze and still had to tap them in quite a bit. So my crush is too much. Especially the disk side (the sprocket side and carrier were significantly easier). ALMOST a drop in... hard to get it perfect needed some little taps with a small drift. The disk side needed to be walked in all the way. When I get a few miles on them I'll send it on over to you for repair. Totally unacceptable this is supposed to be an ADVENTURE bike! Thanks for the hard work and research on this nice to have you as a resource.
-Jim
Jim,,the best way we can beat the system is to COMMUNICATE
if all you F800GS folks in the know about these ''bad bearing ''problems talk to all the other riders out here..like : Pssst have ya checked your bearings??? keep your eye on em!!..Put your finger inside the bearing race and give it a quick spin EVERY time ya pull the wheels off,,,they need to turn smooth as silk whilst applying a lil pressure to em...DONE deal...CRUNCHY??? well ya got a problem that needs checking out.!!!!

FYI..you just experienced the classic feedback from your hub..ie being ''too tight'',,,needing extra energy to install'',,,disc side harder to install than spkt side'',,,no need to measure anything ..you have a bad hub!!!,,,

FYI #2,,,some folks were given new hubs from BMW and unfortunately came from the same batch,,ie they laced up a bad hub ,,back to square one...

gotta run

holler when you are ready for the Rx

woody