User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #31
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Deer in the headlights
Buy her some of the blue nitrile gloves so the solvent and fuel doesn't wreck her skin. Women care about things like that. Glad to see it running.
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #32
jamescollins
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Eek

I just got done ripping the engine apart on mine. Runs like a charm now. Glad none of the local shops would work on it, great learning experience. I do have a few probably simply questions. Is there anyway to make it less scary.. lol at high speeds it bounces and shakes way to much. Shocks? I know nothing. Help me!
jamescollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #33
cgk64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I have a 71 f7 runs real good now, but I think I have a crank bearing going out. How hard of a job was it to tear into the motor, this will be a winter project for me. Thanks.
cgk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

You both should buy a Clymer's manual for your 175's- lots of questions answered.
The forks are very flexy and a fork brace will help a lot. fresh ATF fluid in them will help but they are crappy forks none the less.
New rear shocks will help the ride a lot. Make sure your wheel bearings and swingarm bushings are in good shape. Shake the wheels from side to side- any play and you need new bearings. Grab the swingarmat the rear wheel and move side to side. If there is play you need new bushings.
Tearing into one of these motors is pretty easy. You will need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off- other wise a crancase splitter is nice too. Depends on how tool friendly you are.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #35
jamescollins
n00b

Caution if pulling the flywheel off. I used a pulley and threaded the bolts in to much and broke the coils. Not very easy to replace. I wish I could have found out how to rewind them though. O well. Like I said just be carefull .and if its like mine you may have to heat it up to get it off
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #36
jamescollins
n00b

Also I looked at those sites for expansion chambers and couldn't find any for my bike and ebays fresh out
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #37
cgk64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromad View Post
You both should buy a Clymer's manual for your 175's- lots of questions answered.
The forks are very flexy and a fork brace will help a lot. fresh ATF fluid in them will help but they are crappy forks none the less.
New rear shocks will help the ride a lot. Make sure your wheel bearings and swingarm bushings are in good shape. Shake the wheels from side to side- any play and you need new bearings. Grab the swingarmat the rear wheel and move side to side. If there is play you need new bushings.
Tearing into one of these motors is pretty easy. You will need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off- other wise a crancase splitter is nice too. Depends on how tool friendly you are.
I've got a manual for it, I've never opened one up before. bike runs good just thinking down the road in case it may need some work. Thanks.
cgk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #38
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescollins View Post
I just got done ripping the engine apart on mine. Runs like a charm now. Glad none of the local shops would work on it, great learning experience. I do have a few probably simply questions. Is there anyway to make it less scary.. lol at high speeds it bounces and shakes way to much. Shocks? I know nothing. Help me!
Back when I had mine, I could run it at top speed (80 or so indicated) with no problems, so what you are experiencing is not normal. Shaking could be an out of balance or out of round tire. It's pretty easy to mount a tire so it's not seated evenly all the way around which will make it shake quite a bit. Or loose spokes, head bearings, or loose swing arm bearings could also play a part.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #39
jamescollins
n00b

Yea I get it up to like 60 but don't wanna kill it I also weigh 250 and am 6'4" so that may be it
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,863
I have a great friend who rode one of these in the early 70's and had a neat low pipe on it called a "Whispering Smith" I remember the name clearly and also remember rearending him on a big hill and sending the entire pipe flying up the hill about 30ft ahead of him.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
I have a 73 and at 60 it also gets scary, but it doesn't want to go much faster it feels toped out. Time to recheck every thing.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Check wheel bearings and swingarm bushings. Check the steering head bearings for play too. They all can cause a bad wobble.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #43
jamescollins
n00b

It's not just wobble I have no power. I would never dream of even hittin 65