Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #48466
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I had some brake pads I bought too soon for my xrl, thought it needed new pads, but when I looked closer it has more than half the pads left front and rear at a little over 12k miles. So I decided to return the pads for something my bike will need much sooner......a rear tire
I was going to pick up a D952, but this is a predominantly dirt shop, and the shop folks recommended I try a Pirelli XC Mid Hard, they said it had some of the best dirt grip, and would last the longest. I've never really heard about them, whats the forum feedback on this tire? And how does the front do on and off road?

Also I have an almost new front Dunlop 742 knobbie that came with the bike, but its pretty hard from years of sitting in storage.....whats the risk of running it? Hate to waste good rubber
I had one of the Pirelli XCMH, great handling on and off road and good traction on and off road. Good ride.The front would head shake at around 7o MPH or so. POOR wear, I got like 2500 miles using then in a 80 on road 20 off road.

As to the old rubber, I have twenty something year old Metzlers on my Husky 400 XCE. If they are not cracked, run em!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #48467
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Paint will peel right off.....

Caswell tank sealer.......line the tank with it and it`ll likely stay white forever..

B
Ive heard however, that it should be done before the tank has been used. I don't know. that's what I heard.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #48468
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Ive heard however, that it should be done before the tank has been used. I don't know. that's what I heard.
I would imagine that would be ideal. It would be hard to get all of the gas residue out of it, especially if it had started to soak into the plastic.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #48469
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Wwsd

Hi my names Terry and I was tempted by the Orange Kool-aid. I flirted with the idea of selling my 2007 XR650L and buying a KTM 690 Enduro R. Fortunately, I resorted to logic and conducted exhaustive research on the KTM. Although the 690 has way more power and better suspension, there are way more posts reference problems compared to the XRL. Therefore, I seek absolution for my temptations and ask to be forgiven. If any fellow XRL rider is tempted by the Orange demon, just remember, "What Would Spock Do".

Live long and prosper.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #48470
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Hi my names Terry and I was tempted by the Orange Kool-aid. I flirted with the idea of selling my 2007 XR650L and buying a KTM 690 Enduro R. Fortunately, I resorted to logic and conducted exhaustive research on the KTM. Although the 690 has way more power and better suspension, there are way more posts reference problems compared to the XRL. Therefore, I seek absolution for my temptations and ask to be forgiven. If any fellow XRL rider is tempted by the Orange demon, just remember, "What Would Spock Do".

Live long and prosper.
Terry

I went through exactly the same nightmare. Now I am planning to get my engine to Sir Cycle Wizard, pep the darling up a little.

Cheers
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #48471
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
How much can CW boost the engine and still keep it reliable?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #48472
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Not sure on numbers, maybe ask him

I just saw a number of inmates that went to him and all had good reports so far

Sort of planning this, not final yet

1. a cloverleaf big port cw head
2. undercut cw oversized valves
3. cw valve springs with ti retainers
4. 106mm piston 724cc 11.1
5. cw HRC 628 cam with hardened rockers
6. 42mm mikuni pumper carb

Planning to still use pump gas, we get 95 or 98 freely available
Old 11-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #48473
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Well boss...we`re gonna find out.I`m going to air it out all winter and then put the sealer in..i`d like my decals to stop bubbling off.CW is gettin tired of sending me new ones

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #48474
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Dishsoap no gas mineral sprits yes......... dish soap may remove some oil.but you need ALL the oil off to release the dirt trapped into it....

B
How about just straight gasoline? It's either that or I try and find an Auto Zone tomorrow in Puebla and figure out how to say "mineral spirits" in Spanish.

And BTW, one of the guys on a KLR that was riding with me for a while took some carb cleaner and cleaned his foam filter right up and had no issues. However, I don't really want to chance it.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #48475
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
How about just straight gasoline? It's either that or I try and find an Auto Zone tomorrow in Puebla and figure out how to say "mineral spirits" in Spanish.

And BTW, one of the guys on a KLR that was riding with me for a while took some carb cleaner and cleaned his foam filter right up and had no issues. However, I don't really want to chance it.

Do they paint houses down there? The paint store has mineral spirits. It's called PAINT THINNER.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #48476
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Do they paint houses down there? The paint store has mineral spirits. It's called PAINT THINNER.
Okay, so Mexican Home Depot it is! Or even Mexican Walmart.

Will straight gas work? That would save me the hassle of riding all over a strange city with over a 1,000,000 inhabitants.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #48477
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
He's done lots for my bike and I can't wait to send some stuff back for more Wizard treatment

-Barron
Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #48478
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Theener
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #48479
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,513
So... trying to prepare for trail riding over the next few months and wanting to figure out what parts and accessories I should be getting.
I already have bark busters, XRR sprocket, Dave's mods and 55/158 jetting, K&N air filter (not thrilled with this), smog removed, snorkel removed, and Hoglegs from Manracks.

So far this is my list:
- tires (somthing better than the Avon's I have now)
- fork boots
- skid plate
- fork brace
- case guard (on shifter side)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #48480
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post

Problem with carb cleaner is some types eat plastic badly,,some don`t..i`d use straight gas in a pinch and wash out with soap after..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote