ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
I've been wondering about this for a while. How is the Galfer rotor - which clearly has a lot less meat and surface area to it - supposed to improve brake performance? Is the metal somehow softer, meaning they would wear out quicker? Less mass is nice for better suspension action and less gyroscopic effect, but it does give less friction surface and worse heat dissipation.

Can't have it all.....

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #32
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I've been wondering about this for a while. How is the Galfer rotor - which clearly has a lot less meat and surface area to it - supposed to improve brake performance? Is the metal somehow softer, meaning they would wear out quicker? Less mass is nice for better suspension action and less gyroscopic effect, but it does give less friction surface and worse heat dissipation.

Can't have it all.....
You might have a point there, I haven't tried the Galfers on my 950, but I've gone through two rear rotors on my F650 and they do seem to wear faster than the Brembo ones (not warp, actually wear)...

FWIW I've used the green Galfer pads on my 950 (with the Brembo rotors) and they seem to have less stopping power than the Brembo pads.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
Blackalac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakou View Post
Did you install the EBC Carbon Steel Rotors?
http://www.ebc-bremsen.de/start.php4...9851#EBC209851
I had carbon steel rotors on my Laverda SF2 1976 perhaps. I remember how great they were in the wet compared to the stainless rotors on all my bikes since then.

But boy did they rust, and leave stains where the pads had been.

Blackalac screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 03:50 PM
Blackalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #34
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post
No way. Something is definitely wrong there. The Galfer rotors we have put on our four bikes have made a noticeable improvement. Something else has to be going on if you are getting worse performance than stock. Have you checked the brake fluid? When was the last time it was changed? I suggest that you call Galfer and tell them your experience so you can get the issue resolved. Not having confidence in the braking is no bueno!
I agree. You have to have other issues. Someone mentioned swapping pads prior to rotor to see how the less expensive route pans out. I did my fronts to galfer greens - they are flawless, my rear still has factory pads and are starting to squawk bad when ever I am hard on them or they get just a little dusty. I ran galfer rotors and pads over the years and never had a issue with them.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #35
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 878
Well I am trying to decide which way to go for front rotors.
My thoughts,
I`m not sold on the wavy thing. Less friction, less braking in my mind.
Would like the 990 rotors, but grinding to fit ?? Arhhhh
What to do ???
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #36
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

Can't have it all.....
I had a Galfer wave rotor with the green pads on my SE one season. When doing some tarmac racing, the brake got hot and lost all breaking power much faster than the oem. The Galfer disc and the green pads also wear very fast. I dumped it all and have sucessfully been using the Breaking disc with oem pads the last two seasons. The galfer is light and very well suitable for dirt roads but I dont understand how this many inmates can be happy with the lost stopping power when getting hot too rapidly.