ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #29236
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by russt View Post
I know this is the "ride thread", but wanted to get the question out to this group. As we all live in roughly the same area with the same traffic/ terrian. I am looking at getting a big bike in the next few months and am interested in what some of you have experienced with 2-up riding. Your likes/ dislikes of riding with a passenger on your bike. How does your bike handle, how is the power of your bike with a pasanger, and what your suggestions would be. I am considering everything from the F800GS, 950/990 Adv, 1200GS, Super Tenere, Tiger... In the next few weeks we are going to start test riding together, and am interested in what your experiences have been. This will be for road tours with boxes or bags, and as long as we are getting a big bike, I want to hit the dirt too. Currently ride a DR650 as my daily commuter/ dirt bike/ ADV bike, my wife rides a plated CRF230, and she wants to go out for multi day trips riding together; a bigger bike is needed.

Thanks in Advance!

Super tenere. I ride a dr650 and I'm sure any other bike would be better 2 up. The gs crowd will say gs. The 990 adventure crowd will say ktm. Just how gnarly will you really go 2 up with 50 pounds of gear. Nothing would be worse than breaking down somewhere than breaking down somewhere with your wife.

Off Limits screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 05:10 AM
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #29237
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
RE: Husky ride on Nov 10.

I am also still planning on it, but will be riding from the east side.
180+ mile loop, 90% off-road, start and end at 15/138 (though I will ride from home). GPS file available.
Aiming to be on small bike (525) with one other in tow. Could tolerate 1~2 more.
Desert tour to the Husky, then lunch at Domingos in Boron, then more desert on the way back.
Fast and steady pace. I'd prefer not to be out late.

-M
That sounds like the perfect ride plan ... especially Domingo's for lunch. If you are riding the 525 with a small group, I would be up for taking a few BIG BIKES on the same route, maybe a slightly slower pace.

Pretty sure the big group staging area on the 10th is Mojave or Cal City which is too far out of the way for us OC guys.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #29238
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,009
Quote:
I know this is the "ride thread", but wanted to get the question out to this group. As we all live in roughly the same area with the same traffic/ terrian. I am looking at getting a big bike in the next few months and am interested in what some of you have experienced with 2-up riding. Your likes/ dislikes of riding with a passenger on your bike. How does your bike handle, how is the power of your bike with a pasanger, and what your suggestions would be. I am considering everything from the F800GS, 950/990 Adv, 1200GS, Super Tenere, Tiger... In the next few weeks we are going to start test riding together, and am interested in what your experiences have been. This will be for road tours with boxes or bags, and as long as we are getting a big bike, I want to hit the dirt too. Currently ride a DR650 as my daily commuter/ dirt bike/ ADV bike, my wife rides a plated CRF230, and she wants to go out for multi day trips riding together; a bigger bike is needed.

Thanks in Advance!
if you spend anything over $13k, gotta have the drive shaft. tenere or gs...

won't be here till next year, but i love to see the 2014 ktm 1190 adventure...http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/880/14...irst-Look.aspx

good luck with the search.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #29239
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
That sounds like the perfect ride plan ... especially Domingo's for lunch. If you are riding the 525 with a small group, I would be up for taking a few BIG BIKES on the same route, maybe a slightly slower pace.

Pretty sure the big group staging area on the 10th is Mojave or Cal City which is too far out of the way for us OC guys.

sounds good todd.....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #29240
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,253
This place sucks... He asked for " personal experience "goods and bads, and all he gets is what FFs thinks he should buy though there eyes... Sad
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #29241
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
This place sucks... He asked for " personal experience "goods and bads, and all he gets is what FFs thinks he should buy though there eyes... Sad
Then here it is.
I ride a 990 Adv. Haven't done tons of 2-up rides (maybe 500 miles on pavement and 100 dirt) I was always happy and comfortable. At a point that I kind of like 2-up better on pavement. Bike feels and is heavier and more stable. No problem what so ever about power. Comfortably cruised at and around 80mph. Less wind buffering, etc.
I'd love to do more 2-up with panniers rides. I heard GS is a better choice for that but I LOVE my 990.
I havent done as much 2-up dirt as Dunerat (hi Val ) but it fells great on dirt as well.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #29242
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Isn't that the very definition of personal experience?

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #29243
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post

what's your game plan todd?
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #29244
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:

Thanks in Advance!
The 1150GSA has plenty of power with a passenger on and off road, it does get pretty cramped if you passenger is more than 5' tall. The one piece GSA seat does need to be longer to let the passenger slide back a couple of inches as well. A custom seat would be worth the cost on this bike to accommodate a passenger for long distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Then here it is.
I ride a 990 Adv. Haven't done tons of 2-up rides (maybe 500 miles on pavement and 100 dirt) I was always happy and comfortable. At a point that I kind of like 2-up better on pavement. Bike feels and is heavier and more stable. No problem what so ever about power. Comfortably cruised at and around 80mph. Less wind buffering, etc.
I'd love to do more 2-up with panniers rides. I heard GS is a better choice for that but I LOVE my 990.
I havent done as much 2-up dirt as Dunerat (hi Val ) but it fells great on dirt as well.
Just ask Wally how much he liked being your passenger Ersin.

You should probably get feedback from the passengers to help make your decision.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #29245
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdad View Post
what's your game plan todd?
At the moment Matt's plan sounds really good to me, but think it prudent to separate his smaller bike group from any biig bike riders that want to do the same tracks. No reason to slow them down, but if we can keep the group small, we might not be that far behind. Weather forecast for Sat morning up there looks interesting at the moment.

Have ridden into Adelanto via pavement 3 times in the last couple of weeks so taking some dirt over Cajon Pass sounds good. Heading out on a business trip this morning and back Thurs night.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #29246
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Two-up?

How big is your passenger? Long legs or short?

I've done Canada and back (mostly paved), lots of Baja (mostly dirt) and Panama (fair amount of dirt) two-up on a 1200GS. The bike was fine for that. Also did Alaska on a 650 Dakar. That sucked two-up.

It is really about your passenger being comfortable. If they're not, you won't be either.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #29247
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:

Thanks for the comments. My OP may have clouded the questions. Not planning on dirt 2-up, this is for long weekends with my wife and will be my commuter. Perhaps this question is too open ended unless the person has experience with the different bikes in this situation. I appreciate the responses!

Thanks.
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #29248
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Two-up?

How big is your passenger? Long legs or short?

I've done Canada and back (mostly paved), lots of Baja (mostly dirt) and Panama (fair amount of dirt) two-up on a 1200GS. The bike was fine for that. Also did Alaska on a 650 Dakar. That sucked two-up.

It is really about your passenger being comfortable. If they're not, you won't be either.
She is 5'7", 120lbs. We are going to ride a few together to figure this out.

russt screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 08:02 AM
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #29249
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
She is 5'7", 120lbs.
Got any pics?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #29250
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. My OP may have clouded the questions. Not planning on dirt 2-up, this is for long weekends with my wife and will be my commuter. Perhaps this question is too open ended unless the person has experience with the different bikes in this situation. I appreciate the responses!

Thanks.

I bought a Tiger 800XC for this. Customized the passenger seat for her and added a top-box with backrest.
Does 2-up effortlessly, and at least a hundred pounds lighter than a GS. Also makes a great commuter and adventure bike. I couldn't be more pleased. The triple motor is a work of art. Four thousand miles in four months and it's been flawless.

And no, you don't need a liter bike to do this.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote