Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #271
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
I really want something that integrates into the CANbus system.

Also, I am not sure about the previous years, but my F8 has what appears to be a cutout for a fog light switch on the left side switch block and also I can see a fog light indicator in the instrument cluster. Anyone know if that is something that can easily be used?
I'm curious about that as well. I have a 2013 and tried the PIAA 510 kit for up to 2012 but the beak is different enough on the '13 and the turn signals have been moved so it just wouldn't work. I sent them an email a few days ago about a '13 version but haven't heard back.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #272
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Did you get a Clearwater specifically for your bike? I really want something that integrates into the CANbus system.
I did not get specific for the bike - went with the universal because I had a place to mount them for prior POS absolute junk Trail Tech SCMR 16's.

FWIW I don't believe CANbus will come into play - I'm wired straight to battery (via fuse block) and though I encourage you to check around believe this is the preferred powering approach.

Quote:
I can see a fog light indicator in the instrument cluster. Anyone know if that is something that can easily be used?
I haven't seen the 2013 model but wonder if the indicator light is for bulb failure (mine illuminated yellow when low beam burned out.)

Quote:
A little input from me: I hit a deer about a month ago on my 2013 F800 a week after I got it. I came up over a hill and I could not see the deer until it was too late. Aux lights may have helped prevent this. The stock headlight is on the F8 is not very good IMO. The one on my G650GS was way better. Eventually I will update the headlight to HID as well.
Sorry to hear that - I was within feet of same in September at 70 mph - could have ended very badly. I'd wait and see how much extra vis you get from LED before exploring main conversion to HID. You might be satisfied as these cook the night
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #273
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
I tried to look through most of this thread but didn't see anything....

Anyone have experience with the Twalcom fog light kit? Looks similar to touratechs at a fraction of the price.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #274
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
can I play?

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #275
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

I updated pic links to new smugmug account this afternoon. This should give you a sense of my install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Completed install of Rigid Dually (amber) and Clear Water Kristas. I mounted the Kirsta on an EZ mount (having removed my POS TT SCMR 16s after 3rd) and Dually's hanging off the crash bars.

I'm generally pleased but haven't done night ride and need to stand the test of time. Both kits could use a couple of improvements.

Most troublesome for me was the connector box on the Kristas as short leads were very limiting in its placement. The 'volume' control for dimming is conveniently located on the left mirror mount but both lights and volume have to connect to the relay box and there's no lengthening the set up. I tried several places but ultimately ended up in the maelstrom that exists under the beak. It should be in the upper fairing on the left side.

There are a bunch of wires on the Kristas - which adds nice capability but lots of routing. As the connector box is under the beak, I ran the power source to the right side of the bike and everything else on the left (flash, horn, volume, switched x 2)

The Dually kit was good save the switch. The switch has a very thin concealment ring and rather than use a nut on back to fasten relies on a pinch mechanism - I solved the jiggle with a couple of extra zip ties. Both switches seem a bit aggressive with their LED 'On' indicators. Each is blazing red and seem brighter than some stock head lamps. Might be a bit distracting at night. I'd prefer happy green and half the lumens.

I took the time to wrap all wires with extra sleeve for abrasion, heat and to avoid the high school science fair look.

As part of this install, I added an Eastern Beaver PC8 with 30 amp shorty kit and canbus resistror I was hoping to tidy up the rats nest I had on the battery but may have made it worse. The box gives me 6 switched and 2 un-switched circuits. It seems well made but placement on the f8gs was sub optimal - not much space to work with. I'm running a Shorai battery and without its small footprint not sure I could have fit it. And now, if I need a replacement battery and Shorai is not available I'm going to need to make several adjustments.

Edit 4/11/12 - > Might want to read Wisman's Shorai test if you are considering this battery.

How about some pics.

Bench full of wires, wrap, heat shrink, connectors etc.

Playing with layout

Switch upgrade wanted on the Dually

FN Krista connector box with short leads and no options

Third placement has the reach, stormy real estate though

Special

Where it ought to be (and final wiring from the top)

Dimmer just right of ABS kill

Feeding the PC8

Everything I needed except for

the toilet plunger I used to jam in the relay for the PC8

Dually only

Dually & Krista's ignited at 80% (no stock lamp burning)

Krista on minimum setting

Full frontal probably shortened the life of my pas sensor

PS - 8/18/11

A couple of things I wanted to add but didn't have pics or bits for:

1st is power to relay charging the switched circuits on the PC8. I used the f8gs special connector (white plug to yellow wire / posi connect at center of pic,) found the hot and clipped the other wires. Ran positive into PC8 which means the switched circuits cut out a minute or few (I've never timed it) after the bike is shut off. The PC8 has un-switched circuits which I use for GPS - more better.

Also -

Clearwater Kristas dim but can be connected to horn / brights to instant up to 100%. I skipped the horn because I didn't like wire set up with steering range - could be worked around if you planned for it but the way my wires were fixed it wasn't worth it to me.

I did want brights to fire Kristas to 100%. This is a nice feature as you can run them as night markers @20% then when alone hit the brights and cook the critters stalking you. Kill the brights and drop from 100% back to dimmer setting. Perfect.

I ran the wire (white) up through the vent for the bright and used a posi tap to connect hots. It's tight in there but works.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #276
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439

5000K HID's in the headlights
3000K HID's in the PIAA 510's
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #277
CAN-ADVer
From NB to ... :)

Oddometer: 30
4 HID mod, plus T10LED as accessory light

So this is a homemade mod for 120$ ans a full day of work I made... I bought projectors for 32$ on ebay, and one set of 35W HID kit with 5000K H3 (27$), a 55W HID kit with 5000K H7 (33$), and a paire of 6000k H7 and a pair of 6000K H3 (8$ a pair).... For the T10 LED I took a 6000K 42 SMD for 1.68$ (DO NOT NEGLECT THIS IT LOOKS AWESOME) ... Bought two 12V Bosch relay off ebay (4$) as well as red and black 16 Ga electrical wire...

As you can see in the pics I made my own copy on the ridiculusly priced light bracket that goes between the body panels... took a white but with a band saw it worked well! I also made my own aluminium light protector or heat reducer (only esthetic for me haha)

So when I turn my ignition key on the LED comes on (way brighter than the stock T10).. Then when I start the bike the 35W HID Low beam comes on with the 35W projector HID on the oposite side, and when I turn on the high beam, the 55W HID High beam comes on with the 55W HID projector on the other side (Both 6000K because a 6000K 55W is the same color as a 5000K 35W BTW...)

One last thing, I will paint the aluminium deflector black when I pain my homemade case backets...

http://i.imgur.com/j19lJ.jpg
Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #278
CAN-ADVer

Last pic didn't work so here it is

to complet my last post ...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #279
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post

5000K HID's in the headlights
3000K HID's in the PIAA 510's
That's exactly the setup I'd like but the PIAA 510 kit won't work on the 2013, waiting to see if they come out with a new kit, so far no response to my email.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #280
CAN-ADVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
That's exactly the setup I'd like but the PIAA 510 kit won't work on the 2013, waiting to see if they come out with a new kit, so far no response to my email.
Then try building your own kit, I saved 620$ +tx of the Touratech HID projector kit.... ;)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #281
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN-ADVer View Post
Then try building your own kit, I saved 620$ +tx of the Touratech HID projector kit.... ;)
I'm thinking about that too, it looks like you did a nice job.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #282
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
I haven't seen the 2013 model but wonder if the indicator light is for bulb failure (mine illuminated yellow when low beam burned out.)
It looks more like this...

And after the crash it displayed "Lamp Failure" or something but no individual indicator light. This one also doesn't light up when you are doing self check, but if the light hits the cluster just right you can see it.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #283
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
if they haven't changed it, it'll look like this if the there is a bulb failure:

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #284
Andres Tamez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
This are mi lights!

Baja Design Squadron Lights, they are great!!!! Each of them has 3600 Lumens, I really recomend them!

Andres Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #285
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
It looks more like this...
Yep - that's not on 2009 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
if they haven't changed it, it'll look like this if the there is a bulb failure:

Should have yellow caution above high beam indicator glowing too I believe or at least mine does.