User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
BITD vs. D37 Hare and Hound

I was thinking about doing one or more of the BITD races next year and was wondering how they compare the the D37 H&H races. I've only ever done the first loop but I've done a couple of the Nationals first loops which weren't a cakewalk.

Are the BITD courses more, equal to or less technical? Obviously they are a lot longer than 45 miles but if the terrain is easier then more miles doesn't take more skill, just more conditioning.

Thanks for any input.

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramerTV View Post
I was thinking about doing one or more of the BITD races next year and was wondering how they compare the the D37 H&H races. I've only ever done the first loop but I've done a couple of the Nationals first loops which weren't a cakewalk.

Are the BITD courses more, equal to or less technical? Obviously they are a lot longer than 45 miles but if the terrain is easier then more miles doesn't take more skill, just more conditioning.

Thanks for any input.
Save your money until you get your black numbers in D-37 before you spend the high dollar BITD entry fees. BITD has bike only races which have D-37 style single track. However, all of the races that also have cars are all on non-technical uber fast two track. If you can't do 2 loops in D-37 you shouldn't be in BITD. Wait until you are good enough to finish all of the loops at a national then step up to BITD.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to run black numbers next year. Maybe I'll wait until 2014 to try BITD.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455
There are two you may really like, First would be the Parker 250 which is a staggered start each minute a racer leaves, loop race, if you are iron man you do only two loops of three. A tough race but do able for you I belive.. Second would be the Laughlin hare scrambles an AMA style loop race with side by side two man starts. If you want to test your all out speed a good one would be the Silverstate 300 which has hardly any technical ridiing but will keep you busy learning how to watch for markers, follow a course and get out of the way of vehicles as well.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
There are two you may really like, First would be the Parker 250 which is a staggered start each minute a racer leaves, loop race, if you are iron man you do only two loops of three. A tough race but do able for you I belive.. Second would be the Laughlin hare scrambles an AMA style loop race with side by side two man starts. If you want to test your all out speed a good one would be the Silverstate 300 which has hardly any technical ridiing but will keep you busy learning how to watch for markers, follow a course and get out of the way of vehicles as well.
Perhaps MAYBE running those 2 as a full blown Novice, but he is a red number one loop only novice aka: begginer racer. finishing one loop of a National H&H is NOTHING compared to doing both loops. He needs to develop enough strength and skill before playing with the big boys.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Perhaps MAYBE running those 2 as a full blown Novice, but he is a red number one loop only novice aka: begginer racer. finishing one loop of a National H&H is NOTHING compared to doing both loops. He needs to develop enough strength and skill before playing with the big boys.
Ive been racing D37 for a few years now and I have yet to complete a full race.

I hit the wall, my first time attempting all loops. Laid down in the desert for four hours waiting to get help to go back in, completely exhausted. The Coyotes all showed up in shorts wondering what the hell I was doing....

I have to learn how to pace myself.....

and I suck

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I have to learn how to pace myself.....
That's the biggest part of my problem too - I am completely wiped after one loop. That's why I crashed at Checkers - I was shaking from lack of energy and just lost it going down the hill.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramerTV View Post
That's the biggest part of my problem too - I am completely wiped after one loop. That's why I crashed at Checkers - I was shaking from lack of energy and just lost it going down the hill.
Then definitely run more races and train on longer rides.bitd races are much faster and with more speed comes harder crashes. Don't ask how I figured that out.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,005
You can train and run and do all the gym stuff all you want, nothing is going to prepare you like racing every weekend will. Ask Pasta boy.

I do not train. I do not go to the gym. Don't run, eat sensible, abstain from alcohol or sex ( hell, thats my cardio training), all I do is race. I realize some people actually have lives and budgets and real responsibilities, but you are never going to get the experience if you only race 3 or 4 times a year. You are going to get tired, frustrated and possibly injured.

Unless you are some kind of phenom that has gobs of natural talent, you need to make a commitment, tell yourself you are going to ride at least one or two races a month, go slower than you want to so that you can actually FINISH a race, screw the result, just learn what it takes to get to the end.

Then work your way up from there.

Now if you'll excuse me....
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
You can train and run and do all the gym stuff all you want, nothing is going to prepare you like racing every weekend will. Ask Pasta boy.

I do not train. I do not go to the gym. Don't run, eat sensible, abstain from alcohol or sex ( hell, thats my cardio training), all I do is race. I realize some people actually have lives and budgets and real responsibilities, but you are never going to get the experience if you only race 3 or 4 times a year. You are going to get tired, frustrated and possibly injured.

Unless you are some kind of phenom that has gobs of natural talent, you need to make a commitment, tell yourself you are going to ride at least one or two races a month, go slower than you want to so that you can actually FINISH a race, screw the result, just learn what it takes to get to the end.

Then work your way up from there.

Now if you'll excuse me....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

The thing you have to remember is that this is endurance racing. You start each race with only so much energy that day, how you spend that energy during the race will determine if you finish or not. "To finish first, you must first finish!!" As you build endurance, your speed should also increase as you prolly won't be spending as much energy to go fast as you did when you started racing. You will learn that there are places that you will be able to relax and recover. Almost NOBODY racing today can go 100% the entire race. Pace yourself at 75 to 80% and use short bursts of 100 or 110% to pass.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

The thing you have to remember is that this is endurance racing. You start each race with only so much energy that day, how you spend that energy during the race will determine if you finish or not. "To finish first, you must first finish!!" As you build endurance, your speed should also increase as you prolly won't be spending as much energy to go fast as you did when you started racing. You will learn that there are places that you will be able to relax and recover. Almost NOBODY racing today can go 100% the entire race. Pace yourself at 75 to 80% and use short bursts of 100 or 110% to pass.
B.s. come Nov 15 I'm going 110% till LA paz. Lol.

Riding is the best training... if you are in decent physical shape. If you can't finish a 45 mile race without being spent go to the gym and you'll soon be able to do two loops.

Until two months ago I had never gone to the gym to train but an upcoming race warranted it. Now I wish I had done it sooner. Huge difference in my riding.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,203
Quote:

so true. I can do a half marathon one weekend, a short triathlon the next and feel fine. A week later Im only good for 40 miles in the desert and can hardly walk for 3 days. NO-THING will train you up for racing other than racing. Nothing works your body like that. I even tried to replicate some racing type stuff in exercises I do at work and it doesn't help....

Quote:
true again. if I had no life, I would be a much better motorcycle racer!

and you're advising someone to abstain from alcohol??

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Thanks guys - my goal for next year was to finish all the loops going as slow as I needed to go to make sure I finished. As slow as I am the only way I'm going to beat someone on the Novice line is if they only do one lap or have a DNF. Finishing is really my only goal (other than not hurting me or the bike of course.)

So again, thanks for all the advice and I hope to do a lot more races next year. It will take a commitment from me but also from the wife since she has to stay home and take care of the 3 and 1 year old...I know I'm being a little selfish so I'll try to limit it to one race a month and see how long before she gets angry. ;)

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

so true. I can do a half marathon one weekend, a short triathlon the next and feel fine. A week later Im only good for 40 miles in the desert and can hardly walk for 3 days. NO-THING will train you up for racing other than racing. Nothing works your body like that. I even tried to replicate some racing type stuff in exercises I do at work and it doesn't help....

true again. if I had no life, I would be a much better motorcycle racer!

and you're advising someone to abstain from alcohol??

No, I was saying I don't abstain, but I do actually try to keep it to a minimum the night before, unlike the old days. Not much hydration in beer

And you forgot to tell them about the puking. I was bummed I didn't have my camera handy for that.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
frog
Beastly Adventurer

If you've been racing two years and still can't finish all the loops you need to change something your doing. I'm not trying to be an ass but something isnt right. Ride with someone that can give you pointers on how to be more efficient. You could be riding to train and training yourself to do things wrong. IMHO