Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #48511
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,806
Rumor is that Honda and Suzuki are both announcing 6 new models each, later this month. But I was told 2 years ago by a Honda Rep that the XRL was a dinosaur and the target market wasn't worth investing in.
NC-Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #48512
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Great, now you guys are gonna get me all paranoid about my oil and its temperature.

Now I'm going to spend a load of time looking at special oil blends and wade into that pit of black magic, then I'll probably look into oil coolers and improvised air scoops for the motor.

So I've got three choices:

1. Forget it all and just keep riding.
2. Spend a bunch more time/money on upgrades and mods

3. Sell it, buy a liquid cooled bike.

Bummer.
If your a fabricator like a lot of us are I say If your that concerned you can make some scoops on the cheap so it's better then "forget it and just keep riding" or spending money on upgrades or spending money on a water cooled bike.
KyoXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #48513
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316

Installed my new miss marked dunlop 606.
You can see what spud was sayin about the 606 wearing flat in the center.
Still had some life left in the old one but with the snow and mud around here i wanted some fresh meats.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #48514
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirkswamper View Post
While I don't post much I'm lurking here daily, I posted a few questions earlier this spring after I picked up my 2012 XR650L. I still really like the cycle (I currently only have the one cycle). I haven't delved in to many mods, having been laid off for a couple months cahs was tight, back to work now and I'm making my list:
what I've done so far;
4 gallon clarke tank
crf front fender
skid plate
rear rack (hopefully will be replaced with a manracks one)

so with the limited riding season coming up here in upstate NY here's my list:

XRR moose/PBI front sprocket
smog removal/block off
rejet- I know everyone say do Dave's Mod, I'm thinking of just a couple of jets and go....use stock air filter, maybe the factory pro jet kit
replace the handlebars (bent couple drops on the trials) with protaper ATV hi bars

I've already done a few oil/filter changes been using the spec'd Honda 10w-30 oil, I've been getting it online for about the price of Rotella at Walmart (from Ron Ayers)
one question I have is the Rotella synthetic?

Another new job has a commute of about 40 miles each way mostly slab at 65mph+
is anyone riding the 650l daily under these conditions?
I'm looking for ideas for tires (I still want some dirt light off road capability), wind screen,
eventually an oil cooler either one from Sutton Cycle works or the Van Pelt one if it is still being made.

Anyway I'm just looking for ideas, my other option is to look for a more street oriented ride like an old Suzuki bandit, Kawi Concours, etc, pm me if you like

thanks all.......
I would suggest getting a windshield of some sort, like the Cee Baileys commuter windscreen. The wind blast can get tiresome at high speeds. For tires, I really like my Avon Distenzias on the street. They grip like crazy on the pavement, do fairly well on gravel (havn't tried them on other terrain much) and I've heard of guys getting 10k miles out of them. Only downside is that they are a bit spendy. If you are on a budget I've heard good things about the Shinko 700's.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #48515
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,513
Send your old 606 down south to me Samurai!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #48516
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Clean the air filter with gasoline. After all the dirt and filter oil are removed, wash the filter thoroughly in soapy water. Then rinse all the soap out of the filter, and let the filter dry. After the filter is completely dry, apply your No-Toil filter oil. Let the carrier evaporate completely until the filter oil becomes tacky. Once the oil is tacky, you can install the air filter in your XR650L.

Did you bring along the original, red, No-Toil filter oil, or the new, Evolution filter oil?

Spud
I brought the red stuff. Why? And can no-toil oil only be cleaned out with no-toil cleaner? Or will normal soap work? I've got a whole can of the oil, but only brought about half a bottle of the cleaner.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the advice; here's me in downtown Puebla, in front of my hotel, pouring gasoline all over my airfilter and then draining it down the storm drain.

Moments earlier Ed Zachatmundo and I lubed our chains with some 90w gear oil, which also went down the drain. And a couple of cops walked by while we were doing this and didn't do a thing. Amazing. Bike maintenance is so easy down here!

And now for another question; I'm going to change my oil tomorrow. It' only been 2,000 miles since I changed it two weeks ago in San Diego. Do most people change their oil filters when they change their oil at 2,000, or do they just leave them in and change the filter out at 4,000? I've got about 6 filters squirrled away in my gear, which I think is more than enough; however, if it won't negatively affect the bike, I'll skip it to save time (and filters).
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #48517
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

someone said every 8 thousand miles for a filter change if i remember right?
i am envious of your trip man!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #48518
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
someone said every 8 thousand miles for a filter change if i remember right?
i am envious of your trip man!
Thanks!

8,000 miles between changes? That seems like quite a bit; are people taking the filters out, inspecting them, cleaning them off, then putting them back in?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #48519
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Thanks!

8,000 miles between changes? That seems like quite a bit; are people taking the filters out, inspecting them, cleaning them off, then putting them back in?
oil every 2 towsand and the filter every 8 towsend, dont think anyone is cleaning them, i believe they are paper. i change mine everytime personally. i say if you can afford it change it, cant hurt?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #48520
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,328
Kinda a boring weekend , Managed to get a few pics tho .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #48521
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

nice marko!
i wandered if you were a little mexican dude with the user name you have?
i am the farthest thing from a super samurai
wheels should be here on teusday, thanks again.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #48522
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I brought the red stuff. Why? And can no-toil oil only be cleaned out with no-toil cleaner? Or will normal soap work? I've got a whole can of the oil, but only brought about half a bottle of the cleaner...

And now for another question; I'm going to change my oil tomorrow. It' only been 2,000 miles since I changed it two weeks ago in San Diego. Do most people change their oil filters when they change their oil at 2,000, or do they just leave them in and change the filter out at 4,000? I've got about 6 filters squirrled away in my gear, which I think is more than enough; however, if it won't negatively affect the bike, I'll skip it to save time (and filters).
The red, No-Toil filter oil has an alcohol carrier which will eventually destroy the glue seams in your Uni air filter. The green, Evolution, No-Toil filter oil uses water as a carrier, and is safe for all air filters. Use up your red, No-Toil filter oil, and switch to the green, Evolution filter oil next time. Your Uni air filters will last much longer if you use the Evolution filter oil.

The No-Toil cleaner will cleanse your No-Toil filter oil. Just add a handful of No-Toil cleaner (2 ounces) to a gallon of warm water. Agitate the solution until the cleaner dissolves in the water, then submerge your filter in the solution. Squeeze the filter in the solution for about 2 minutes, and it will be completely cleansed of all dirt and filter oil. Rinse the clean filter in warm water to remove the soap, and allow the filter to completely dry before you apply the new, No-Toil filter oil.

I change my engine oil every 2,000 miles, and I replace my paper oil filter every 8,000 miles. The oil filter always looks good when I replace it, so I don't feel the need to change it more often than specified by Honda.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 07:47 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #48523
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,045
Change oil every 2000 miles and the filter every other time. The hard part is remembering when you changed the filter last...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #48524
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
Then you can enjoy the smell of your own burnt pee for the rest of your ride.
I have that now when the going gets tough. Pee runs down the seat and drips on the engine.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #48525
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
coosh drive and earl?

Do you guys run a thicker oil or something special for extended highway duty?

And do any of you worry about the lack of a cush drive on highway trips?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote