User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Moto Mikey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Bleeding brakes with ABS equipped F800GS

I got a Speigler extended brake line for my F800GS and plan on installing it this weekend. How do I go about bleeding the brakes if I have ABS? Is there a special procedure or is it just like a normal bike?
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
I got a Speigler extended brake line for my F800GS and plan on installing it this weekend. How do I go about bleeding the brakes if I have ABS? Is there a special procedure or is it just like a normal bike?
normal... I have however spoken to one individual who needed to leave his key on to allow the abs pump to operate to properly bleed the brakes
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,732
+ 1 on the Normal.

If you don't introduce air upstream, then it's easy. I was involved in countless brake line changes on the R12GS's for warranty. A batch of lines cracked and were replaced. Then the new ones cracked, then.......anyways, I've done plenty of ABS and non without any issue. I believe Motorfiets was talking about "Servo" brakes that are on some older R12's and K bikes. We can't make our ABS pumps run without the BMW computer attatched so disregard since it doesn't apply here. Just clarifying, all due respect. Servo brakes are a major PITA to service and I've said many a word in "praise" of the designers.

HINT: pull the front brake, bleed off the pressure with a nipple till the handle touches the grip and cable tie it that way. With the brake handle fully actuated this way, the port in the master cylinder will be covered preventing the brake fluid from siphoning down through the system. You can remove a brake line and it won't drip from upstream. When all is reinstalled, bleed the air from the nearest caliper hydraulically speaking to remove the air. Then go to the other caliper and bleed but you probably won't see any air if all went well. Don't let the reservoir get low!!!! Get a good feel for your brakes before you start then compare after. I've replace dozens of lines without spilling a drop of brake fluid. Turn the bars full left so the reservoir is the highest in the system when bleeding and only bleed from that tiny nipple on the reservoir if you have to. Remember it's tiny and weak, don't snap it off.

Have fun.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Moto Mikey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
+ 1 on the Normal.

If you don't introduce air upstream, then it's easy. I was involved in countless brake line changes on the R12GS's for warranty. A batch of lines cracked and were replaced. Then the new ones cracked, then.......anyways, I've done plenty of ABS and non without any issue. I believe Motorfiets was talking about "Servo" brakes that are on some older R12's and K bikes. We can't make our ABS pumps run without the BMW computer attatched so disregard since it doesn't apply here. Just clarifying, all due respect. Servo brakes are a major PITA to service and I've said many a word in "praise" of the designers.

HINT: pull the front brake, bleed off the pressure with a nipple till the handle touches the grip and cable tie it that way. With the brake handle fully actuated this way, the port in the master cylinder will be covered preventing the brake fluid from siphoning down through the system. You can remove a brake line and it won't drip from upstream. When all is reinstalled, bleed the air from the nearest caliper hydraulically speaking to remove the air. Then go to the other caliper and bleed but you probably won't see any air if all went well. Don't let the reservoir get low!!!! Get a good feel for your brakes before you start then compare after. I've replace dozens of lines without spilling a drop of brake fluid. Turn the bars full left so the reservoir is the highest in the system when bleeding and only bleed from that tiny nipple on the reservoir if you have to. Remember it's tiny and weak, don't snap it off.

Have fun.

Awesome, thanks. Gonna do it today.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Moto Mikey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New line installed. Brake bleeding process was very easy. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,732
Did you get a test ride or is it a wee bit chilly up there?

Happy to give back when I can.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Moto Mikey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Did you get a test ride or is it a wee bit chilly up there?

Happy to give back when I can.
lol, too cold and there's snow/ice on the roads