Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #48526
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Do you guys run a thicker oil or something special for extended highway duty?

And do any of you worry about the lack of a cush drive on highway trips?
I use Mobil, Delvac, 15W/40 motor oil for all my riding.

Riding on pavement without a cush drive will damage your countershaft splines. To preserve your countershaft splines I recommend you switch to a wider, XR650R C/S sprocket. Install the sprocket "backwards" to minimize alignment differences in the drive chain. You might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/867...650r-sprocket/

The PBI and Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets require the least "persuasion" to install on the XR650L countershaft.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #48527
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The red, No-Toil filter oil has an alcohol carrier which will eventually destroy the glue seams in your Uni air filter. The green, Evolution, No-Toil filter oil uses water as a carrier, and is safe for all air filters. Use up your red, No-Toil filter oil, and switch to the green, Evolution filter oil next time. Your Uni air filters will last much longer if you use the Evolution filter oil.
Bummer. Think I can use that red stuff for the next few months without totally destoying my UNI? I have a feeling it's going to be kind of hard to find an XR650L air filter down here.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #48528
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Change oil every 2000 miles and the filter every other time. The hard part is remembering when you changed the filter last...
Cool! Thanks! I think I'll be able to remember as I'll probably be changing my oil every two weeks or so at this rate. Is there any difference in quality between the K & N filters and the normal Honda ones? I've got a couple of both with me. I'm running a K & N right now.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #48529
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Kinda a boring weekend , Managed to get a few pics tho .

Marko,

first.........SAWEET!
second.......thanks for the invite BASTAGE!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #48530
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
From everything I read in the car world where people have done long term analysis of their oil by sending it to Blackstone Labs, the oil seems to be effective in doing its job much longer than the filter. One long term analysis said the oil essentially would get refreshed just from what needed to be added. I know I'm anal and change it too often. FWIW, my filter always looks good, but what doesn't that mean? I can't see microscopic particulates. The biggest factor is how you ride the bike and in what conditions. Since spud puts more miles on these bikes than anyone, I vote he is our Blackstone tester for our bikes. I'll sponsor the first analysis. Everyone who cares about these bikes can benefit from this for a measly $30 or so. Spud, are you game?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #48531
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Bummer. Think I can use that red stuff for the next few months without totally destoying my UNI? I have a feeling it's going to be kind of hard to find an XR650L air filter down here.
Yes, I think your Uni air filter will last several months before the alcohol destroys the glue seams. However, I think you would be wise to get a spare air filter. No-Toil makes an air filter for the XR600R which will fit your Uni filter cage. The No-Toil filters are made with better glue which is more resistant to alcohol. If someone can ship you a No-Toil air filter you will almost certainly not have problems on your trip. You could also give the red, No-Toil filter oil to someone else, and get some Evolution filter oil. The green, Evolution filter oil will not harm your Uni air filter.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #48532
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
From everything I read in the car world where people have done long term analysis of their oil by sending it to Blackstone Labs, the oil seems to be effective in doing its job much longer than the filter. One long term analysis said the oil essentially would get refreshed just from what needed to be added. I know I'm anal and change it too often. FWIW, my filter always looks good, but what doesn't that mean? I can't see microscopic particulates. The biggest factor is how you ride the bike and in what conditions. Since spud puts more miles on these bikes than anyone, I vote he is our Blackstone tester for our bikes. I'll sponsor the first analysis. Everyone who cares about these bikes can benefit from this for a measly $30 or so. Spud, are you game?
Yes, I'm game. However, cold weather is coming, and the riding season will end this week in Idaho. I won't be riding many miles until the weather warms up next spring. My next oil change is due in about 1,000 miles.

Spud
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #48533
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool! Thanks! I think I'll be able to remember as I'll probably be changing my oil every two weeks or so at this rate. Is there any difference in quality between the K & N filters and the normal Honda ones? I've got a couple of both with me. I'm running a K & N right now.
The K&N oil filter is good. You will do well using the oil filters you brought with you.

Spud
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #48534
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I think your Uni air filter will last several months before the alcohol destroys the glue seams. However, I think you would be wise to get a spare air filter. No-Toil makes an air filter for the XR600R which will fit your Uni filter cage. The No-Toil filters are made with better glue which is more resistant to alcohol. If someone can ship you a No-Toil air filter you will almost certainly not have problems on your trip. You could also give the red, No-Toil filter oil to someone else, and get some Evolution filter oil. The green, Evolution filter oil will not harm your Uni air filter.

Spud
Yeah, I guess I'll have to see if I can find some green No-Toil down here, which I seriously doubt. Motorcycle stuff down here is seriously limited. You hardly see any big bikes. Most everyone rides 125cc and 250cc. I've seen a ton of XR250 "Tornados". I could have my girlfriend bring me some. I'm going to fly her to Peru to meet up with me, and then we are going to ride two up for a while......this could get really interesting!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #48535
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:

That sounds about right. I think on my 35,052 / 8 month trip thats what I was doing. I ran with a stainless steel reusable filter, so I didn't have the changing the filter problem that you have. I'd only clean mine about every 3000 miles. I don't know how your riding is, but mine was mostly on freeways with little shifting. I figured that since I wasn't shifting a whole lot there would be less wear and tear on the motor. I very rarely change any of my bikes oil before 3000 miles. However it is cheap insurance. Granted you're limited by how many filters you have. Honestly though with that bike, you could pull up to someone's garage anywhere in the world and they'd probably have a part that can be used with that bike. There are so stinking many of them around the world. You shouldn't have much trouble finding filters in most big cities. If I was going around the world with paper filters, because of space I'd carry about three or four with me. Otherwise I'd try and find one when I got the oil to do the changing with. Three or four filters will easily make 10,000 - 12,000 miles, and thats a LONG way to go without being able to find a filter somewhere.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #48536
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Yeah, I guess I'll have to see if I can find some green No-Toil down here, which I seriously doubt. Motorcycle stuff down here is seriously limited. You hardly see any big bikes. Most everyone rides 125cc and 250cc. I've seen a ton of XR250 "Tornados". I could have my girlfriend bring me some. I'm going to fly her to Peru to meet up with me, and then we are going to ride two up for a while......this could get really interesting!
If you are going to be carrying those massively heavy ammo cans with gear and her on the back..... Yes very interesting indeed. I'd keep a close eye on that rear shock, and watch the pot holes. That thing is going to be seriously compressed if not bottomed out most of the time. Don't want to blow your shock so soon in your adventure... Just saying.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #48537
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave View Post
If you are going to be carrying those massively heavy ammo cans with gear and her on the back..... Yes very interesting indeed. I'd keep a close eye on that rear shock, and watch the pot holes. That thing is going to be seriously compressed if not bottomed out most of the time. Don't want to blow your shock so soon in your adventure... Just saying.

Haha! When she comes down I'm going to stash them somewhere or send them home. I might buy some giantloop soft luggage and have her bring it with her.

On a side note, I did take her to the oregon coast with the ammo cans and only the stock spring for a few days! I was flat footed on the ground when that thing was totally loaded down. But now I've got that super heavy custom spring on, so I think with soft luggage and her, it will not be a problem.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #48538
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...can no-toil oil only be cleaned out with no-toil cleaner? Or will normal soap work? I've got a whole can of the oil, but only brought about half a bottle of the cleaner...
Yes, both the red, and the new, green, No-Toil filter oils can only be cleaned with the No-Toil cleaner; normal soap will not dissolve the No-Toil filter oil, and neither will harsh solvents. However, the active ingredient in the No-Toil cleaner is sodium percarbonate, which is the same active ingredient in Oxi-Clean and all the other so-called "oxygen" cleaners. These cleaners are inexpensive, and are readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Office Depot, WalMart, KMart, and almost every grocery store.

The cleaning solution for your No-Toil filter oil consists of 1-gallon of warm water and 2 ounces of Oxi-Clean/sodium percarbonate. If you brought half a 16-ounce bottle, you have enough No-Toil cleaner to clean 4 air filters. However, you don't need to buy more of the No-Toil cleaner, since you should be able to find "oxygen cleaner" in all the large grocery stores throughout Latin America. Here in the United States, one can easily find sodium percarbonate cleaners for $1/pound; don't spend 8$/pound for the brand name, No-Toil cleaner.

Spud
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #48539
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
I've always used gas to clean it. Wring it dry with a towel and rub more oil into it.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #48540
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Yes, I'm game. However, cold weather is coming, and the riding season will end this week in Idaho. I won't be riding many miles until the weather warms up next spring. My next oil change is due in about 1,000 miles.

Spud

No problem on the winter semi-off Spud. You are still the best candidate. For those of you who want more info on Blackstone Labs here it is:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Should any of you do this yourself, please post the results. Spud, PM at your next oil change and I will Pay Pal or send you some $.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote