Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
alison's wanderland OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
On the road to Ushuaia and KLR650 is having carb issues...any suggestions?

I am now only about 10 days on the road (out of 6 months) and my KLR (gen1) has been giving me carb issues for the past week: at 4500rpm (+/- 500) the bike surges/bogs/hiccups when I am cruzing along on asphalt. It feels like the bike is starving for fuel, but runs fine at idle and lower rpm.

Each day i have tried something new:
- I changed the inline fuel filter
- I removed the inline fuel filter thinking it was vapor lock (it's not)
- I have tried running it on the reserve option on the petcock
- I already have a .22 cent mod so I added another washer (a 27 peso mod) and it kind of worked (it bogged at 5500 rpm instead and the power loss was so great I couldn't pass trucks, so I ended up removing it)
- I cleaned the slide thinking some crud got in the way, but nothing was found.

- Next: I am about to look at the diaphragm for any inconsistencies.

Any other suggestions?

(and its not the fuel...I have been traveling with 2 other KLRs, pumping from the same tanks and they have not had any fuel issues.)

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,159
Have you tried cleaning out your carb? Or checking for air leaks?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,607
next time it misbehaves, try opening the gast cap -- if it clears up toot sweet, you found the problem . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletron View Post
- Next: I am about to look at the diaphragm for any inconsistencies.
Diaphragm air leak a possisbility; hole/tear in fabric, or . . . seated/sealed incorrectly.

Assume main jet is CLEAR.
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
doesn't take much of anything to get in that jet and make it clog up. had an S40 suzuki thumper that was notorious for that. simple bowl drain did wonders..

good luck,certainly hope you find it's something really simple.
bess227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,541
sounds like a diaphragm to me.... good until 4000 rpm. they can be patched with a small piece of bicycle tire patch until you get a new one. buy the Harly one for their CV40 ... it's half the price of a Kawi part (same part)
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Don't overlook the petcock. A defective petcock (or vacuum leaks to it) can cause the same symptoms you describe.

Good luck...

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
I was having the same problem.
Turned out air was leaking into my petcock.
I replaced the petcock and all was fine.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post

good thing to try. Its probably something simple. Verify your petcock= un hook fuel line from carb, un hook vacuum line from carb, apply vacuum to the smaller diameter vac line, and fuel should flow like horse piss, while your there, drain your float bowl with the small hex key. Refill the bowl, and drain it again, what the hell.

Mine was acting the same way, and it was the vacuum line was leaking air, causing the diaphragm to not fully open, resulting in less than adequate fuel supply. Enough for low speed/idle, but high speed the bowl would run low.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Pulling the Carb out for inspection and cleaning would be my first move.
You can try draining the float bowl ... always a good first move as water and crud does collect in the bowl.

I'd do the same with your fuel tank. Pull petcock, drain and flush tank, clean petcock filter stems with toothbrush. Careful with all O rings and other rubber parts.

Diaphragm could be the problem too. Inspect, making sure its not pinched or has a small hole. Unlikely, IMHO.

Once inside the Carb, carefully check the Pilot Jet. It has several tiny orifices which can clog easily.

After all jets are pulled out use high pressure Air and Flush well with Carb cleaner into orifices where jets seat into. Clean and re-assemble.

If you can, get hold of a Carb kit and replace all rubber O rings and other rubber parts. Perhaps use a fuel additive once a month or so to chase out crud, debris, water and rust. Something like Sea Foam or whatever equivalent they have in Argentina.

Good luck ... !y que le via muy bien!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
alison's wanderland OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
That's worth a shot...I'll try that next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
good thing to try. Its probably something simple. Verify your petcock= un hook fuel line from carb, un hook vacuum line from carb, apply vacuum to the smaller diameter vac line, and fuel should flow like horse piss, while your there, drain your float bowl with the small hex key. Refill the bowl, and drain it again, what the hell.

Mine was acting the same way, and it was the vacuum line was leaking air, causing the diaphragm to not fully open, resulting in less than adequate fuel supply. Enough for low speed/idle, but high speed the bowl would run low.
Thanks for outlining the how to...I'll try that tomorrow. Everything is closed on Sundays so I have a day to check things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Pulling the Carb out for inspection and cleaning would be my first move.
You can try draining the float bowl ... always a good first move as water and crud does collect in the bowl.

I'd do the same with your fuel tank. Pull petcock, drain and flush tank, clean petcock filter stems with toothbrush. Careful with all O rings and other rubber parts.

Diaphragm could be the problem too. Inspect, making sure its not pinched or has a small hole. Unlikely, IMHO.

Once inside the Carb, carefully check the Pilot Jet. It has several tiny orifices which can clog easily.

After all jets are pulled out use high pressure Air and Flush well with Carb cleaner into orifices where jets seat into. Clean and re-assemble.

If you can, get hold of a Carb kit and replace all rubber O rings and other rubber parts. Perhaps use a fuel additive once a month or so to chase out crud, debris, water and rust. Something like Sea Foam or whatever equivalent they have in Argentina.

Good luck ... !y que le via muy bien!
OK... lots of options. Have pulled the carb and wiped clean. The pilot jet is clean (did that just before I hit the road since it was giving me idle issues, but that problem is solved) did not blow out the main jet though. I have drained out the float bowl, but maybe worth doing again. Sounds like the petcock is worth giving a better inspection. And the diaphragm. There are no evident tears but I will look for pinholes.

Thanks for all the replies! Gives me something to work with tomorrow.

2003 KLR685 gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
alison's wanderland OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
sounds like a diaphragm to me.... good until 4000 rpm. they can be patched with a small piece of bicycle tire patch until you get a new one. buy the Harly one for their CV40 ... it's half the price of a Kawi part (same part)
Thanks for the advice. There is always a harley dealer close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
next time it misbehaves, try opening the gast cap -- if it clears up toot sweet, you found the problem . . . . .
Worth a test...Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Don't overlook the petcock. A defective petcock (or vacuum leaks to it) can cause the same symptoms you describe.

Good luck...

Ron
Next on the list. thanks!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
alison's wanderland OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After having a fun day chasing an electrical issue (i.e. finding the wires that vibrated loose so my bike would start again)...I finally had a chance to dig into the carb situation.

Looked at the diaphragm (and even with a second opinion) it looks in good shape. No rips, tears or pinholes. Carb is clean.

Question about the petcock...mine is modified so it is gravity feed and not based on vacuum, how should I test if is good or not?

Thanks!!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
First thing is to simply pull fuel hose off Carb, turn Petcock to ON and see how she flows. Do it with fuel cap ON tight. Let it run a while (into container, obviously), see if it slows or stops after a few minutes. If it stops, open fuel cap. If fuel flows again then you know your fuel cap is not venting well enough. They do clog over time, moisture.

Next up, I would drain tank (save gas) and flush it out. Unbolt Petcock, pull it out and clean the internal filters. Does it look like this? Clean it up, flush out.

This from my DR650 after 40,000 miles without a clean.

If the Carb is all good then perhaps somehow its an ignition issue? I hope not.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote