Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #61
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Man this looks like to much fun. Ive never been much for timed events, patience is not one of my virtues
Maybe I can try to learn in time for the event or just say what the heck and just have a blast.

I saw IronMtns postings from a few years ago and immediately knew this was something I should do.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #62
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,086
Google mapping the route shows some amazing sections of gravel sweepers that go on for literally miles and miles. I am trying not to get my excitement up too much cause it is looking REALLY FRAGGIN FUN!!!

Tipping her in and twisting the tail out, with a peg weight transition in between, time after time, mile after miles and miles... I probably need to get medical attention before I go on this ride, to ensure my body can tolerate the tractional intensity and extended torsional tests I'll be facing.

The car boys on my team are getting themselves relocated to Seattle. Since they will be living near the start, we'll have a base and garage for staging.
I am sure we will be doing a bunch of "staging" for this gig.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #63
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Can anyone help me out if i ship my bike and gear into Seattle and back out from there?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #64
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Can anyone help me out if i ship my bike and gear into Seattle and back out from there?
I'll get with my boys and see if we can get that handled. Another inmate to PM would be H2W, he might have leads on who else can help you out.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #65
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:
If you sign up, I am sure Jerry Hines can help solve your issues. He's the rallymaster. Just go to the site and send him an email through the contact links.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #66
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Well, I convinced the wife, and will be signing up soon. Provided the Air Force does not have any surprises, this will be my first rally. The KLR is almost totally set up as it sits. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #67
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
If you sign up, I am sure Jerry Hines can help solve your issues. He's the rallymaster. Just go to the site and send him an email through the contact links.
Thanks guys, will reach out!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #68
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
I'm not sure if I'll be doing this ride but, I can help you out with the bike and gear if you need someone. I live about an hour north of the Airport and maybe 45 minutes from Kirkland (where I believe it starts, if I read correctly).
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #69
brocku
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I think I'm in for it. Came across this a few years back and forgot about it. Have wanted to do it since the first time I saw it.
Now trying to convince the wife to let me and some of the boys go play for a month . My 9fiddy is ready today too.
I love long term build ups.
brocku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #70
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Sending my entry on Monday!!! This is gonna be awesome!!! So can anyone tell me, does a vapor vector fill the need for an ico? Or should I spend the full $350 on one from rally management?

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #71
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,485
The first time I did it, I used a spreadsheet to make a list of times & mileage & tried to keep them matched up w/ my bicycle speedometer & my stopwatch. Plus I had two GPS devices.

The second time I used an ICO & had my then 16yo daughter as my navigator.

Both times I didn't do very well in the standings, but had one heck of a good time. The Alcan w/ my daughter was the best trip I have ever had. Once in a lifetime.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #72
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,485
Here's some more bait.

2006 Alcan 5000

2006 Alcan 5000

2010 Alcan 5000

2010 Alcan 5000

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #73
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky 149 View Post
Hi All, This looks like and absolute blast!!!! I was wondering about the border crossings. Do they check background really hard?? I have heard they (Canadian Customs) have gotten snippy since 9/11. I have a blip in the way back time.

To those that have participated, will a KTM SXC 625 be able to do it??
If you have any "blips" in your past I'd contact Canada Border Services first to see if they will let you in, be bad to find out once you hit the border. Our customs have gotten more strict since 9/11, but not near as strict as the US has become.

The best way to cross any border, be honest, no chit chat, do not volunteer any info, and be nice and polite.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #74
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
If you have any "blips" in your past I'd contact Canada Border Services first to see if they will let you in, be bad to find out once you hit the border. Our customs have gotten more strict since 9/11, but not near as strict as the US has become.

The best way to cross any border, be honest, no chit chat, do not volunteer any info, and be nice and polite.
I found the US guards are somewhat surley. If I took my helmet off before they asked they were a lot more friendly, particularly at the AK crossing. Also the crossing above Seattle was very slow in both directions. Maybe an hour wait coming back into the US.

I carried a passport, proof of insurance and license. Nobody asked for anything but my DL.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #75
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
Sending my entry on Monday!!! This is gonna be awesome!!! So can anyone tell me, does a vapor vector fill the need for an ico? Or should I spend the full $350 on one from rally management?
I think you are going to want the ICO Checkmate Enduro Computer. It tells you if you are riding early or late.

http://www.icoracing.com/

The trick is learning how to program it when you get your roadbook instructions the night before. I am told it takes lots of practice. In 2010 there were a couple of fellows who didn't figure out the programming until the last couple of days. But they were spot on once they did!

I rode the non computer class before. I solved for time at each route instruction and noted it on my roadbook. I mounted stop watches on my tank. I used my GPS satellite clock to start in my second and simultaneously started my stop watch. I then attempted to adjust my speed if my stop watch told me early or late to a given route instruction.

Seems like it should be easy but the math gets tricky and a math or nav error screws up the whole stage. If you had a TSD calculator it would be a lot easier than trying to solve for time in MPH and Miles. The enduro computer allows you to make mistakes yet recover.

It looked nice, but sucked to use:

This would have helped if I had it:
http://www.machinehead-software.co.u...time_calc.html