Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #91
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,273
To the OP: get the child riding belt online for when he gets a little older.

My son, when younger, always used to fall asleep when riding with me on the road. That's why I used the harness. Sometimes he would wear the harness under his riding jacket, so you couldn't exactly tell if he was strapped on. I used to get a kick out of the worried drivers that would point, honk, and gesture that he was sleeping while I would pretend I had no clue what they were communicating, so I would just excitedly wave back.

Quite seriously, though, you just got to use that extra dose of caution, realizing the consequences if you (or someone else) isn't paying attention.

Have fun riding with your son!
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #92
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Ban is over!

Been waiting for how long now to ask this question...
Natural selection take place yet?

Not wishing it on anyone, as it was misconstrued and what I was banned for. (making THAT clear for those who lack reading comprehension skills this time!)

The funny thing about being banned....
I could still get all the entertainment value and information I needed from this site as a viewer only parasite.

I did miss the opportunity to be able to help out a few fellows in my neck of the woods this year (including one mention of a stolen bike that I think I saw which could have been recovered)

At any rate, I've come to the conclusion that bans only really hurt those who aren't banned. L.M.A.O.!

I hope the power monger who banned me, got his thrill as a control freak...all you did was keep a minor annoyance away (me) and fuck a few active ADV members in the process.

I couldn't care less what happens now.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #93
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Darwin comes to mind.......
Old 12-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #94
JonU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
If you didn't care you wouldn't have made this post to say you don't care. But anyways, welcome back.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #95
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,569
ATGATT

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-m...aby-onsie.html

mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #96
elywoody
2 wheel addict.

Oddometer: 16
Back in the day... This is one of the only things I remember from being this young. It was a sad day when my dad's bike broke (that's what I was told, probably had more to do with mom!) and I would ask for years:
"When are we going to fix your bike???"
elywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #97
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,376
There is a guy in my neighborhood who does it. He has a CRF450, mx race prepped and not street legal. He puts a toddler on the tank and does full throttle runs through the neighborhood, hitting the bike's top speed for long stretches, and leaned over in the corners. We live in a rural area, with light to moderate traffic, and LOTS of deer. After all the calls, the cops spend about an hour each time looking for him, but nobody knows where he lives.

I'm not looking forward to the news article when his luck runs out.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #98
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 206
Weight the risk and benefit.

I took my daughter for a couple of rides when she was 8-9 years old. Guess what... she didn't even like it. No benefit for a lot of risk. Never again.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #99
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 841
You can use a nice protective back armor, or if you can't afford it, a toddler in a sling will do. I'm kidding of course…

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #100
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by elywoody View Post
Back in the day... This is one of the only things I remember from being this young. It was a sad day when my dad's bike broke (that's what I was told, probably had more to do with mom!) and I would ask for years:
"When are we going to fix your bike???"
Riding on a motorbike and owning a Pit Bull!!!!??? CHILD ENDANGERMENT!!! Seriously, those type of memories are why I have been riding for 30 years and why I took my daughter for rides as a tike. Kudos to your old man.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #101
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Carting young kids around on bikes is the norm around these parts.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #102
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
If you didn't care you wouldn't have made this post to say you don't care. But anyways, welcome back.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Not really! It has more to do with always wanting to have the last word, than actually caring.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #103
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 426
I wonder if the OP has considered the risk exposure of riding around with his toddler.

Risk exposure is simply the chances of something unforeseen (risk) happening times the consequences of that risk should it happen. I think the chances of the child being injured are very low, but the consequences are severe to the point of serious injury or death. A low risk times a very large impact/consequence means a very high risk exposure. Yes, most of the time nothing bad happens but when something bad DOES happen it's very very bad. As in, dead child bad. Looking at some of the photos from back in the day of people riding around with their child in a backpack carrier, at least they're riding slowly on dirt but if the father did fall the child would be injured enough to require a visit to the hospital/ER. Getting away with something doesn't make it a good idea.

In short, I wouldn't do it. I think there would be less risk exposure leaving your toddler home unattended for 30 minutes than to ride down to the store with them sitting on the tank of your motorcycle (not that I'd do that, either). As others have posted, unless some version of the Apocalypse was in progress I'd wait, or call a cab, or walk, or find another way that would not endanger my child. A lifetime of regret often follows a disregard for the risk exposure.

Regarding the folks in the Developing World who ride 3 or more to a Honda Cub or scooter... look at some of the Youtube videos after searching for 'motorcycle crashes.' It isn't pretty. People in the Developing World also often drink and bathe in non potable water, but that also isn't conducive to good health and long life.

ObiJohn screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 07:25 PM
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #104
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Carting young kids around on bikes is the norm around these parts.

What's the normal outcome for an accident?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #105
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
What's the normal outcome for an accident?
A few bruises and grazes, then they pick up the bike and carry on, usually. Occasionally a bit worse, but not often. Being light weight, the laws of physics mean that chances are youngsters suffer less injury than adults.

Most folks here are not thrill seekers punting their bike along at high speed, carving corners and probing the limits. They are just getting around on a vehicle that makes economic and ecological sense.

In a few years that young fellow will be riding himself, maybe with a girlfriend or a couple of mates on board. As a bullet-proof (but not kevlar clad) youth he may get pissed up and ride more boldly than is wise. He/they may join the rather appalling statistics on Phuket's mean streets.

If he survives those daredevil years, he too will probably become the father of a kid, whose first ride on a motorcycle will probably be within weeks, if not days of being born.