Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,216
Longterm Bags Connection Tankbag Users: Any issues?

I'm about to replace my tankbag for something newer and like the design of the B C Evo and City

Having not used one I'm curious if the mounting arrangement has been sturdy with a loaded bag and some harder off-road usage???

I try to keep mine light, but with some camera gear and a bottle of water the bag gets some violent torquing motion when off road. I had to modify my original GS bag with additional straps for the occasional hard hit.

Just wondering how yours is holding up since it seems like all the force is against two pins only
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,384
I've got a city that has been on the bike for 40,000 miles and other than some fading its still in great shape. Best bag in my opinion
Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Thanks Dogscout - so it stays solid in the rough?
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
mcjetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I've got a bags connection city evo bag that I have toured with for about 8,000 miles. Went from my place in Tennessee to Washington state and back with no problems on the interstate, in the rain, summer heat or mountain altitude temps. So much less of a hassle than dealing with straps.
mcjetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Thanks, after my Mexico ride I'm revamping some gear and easier access to the tank at refills would be very nice
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,384
It's solid. Been to Inuvik, across the trans Lab, and commuted to work. I have one on my 07 GS an one on the wife's 07 GS. A friend has the GS bag and it larger, and the bars hit it on full lock. The City hits but not as much.

My map case needs replaced, but I had it on top of another sport bike bag for a year and the clear poly cove now has some cracks.

I cab recommend Bags Connection bags.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Evo on '07 1200GS

I've done some forest roads and the associated bike dropping with the EVO bag on and never had any issues. I got the Evo for a steal, but I don't think it's the best looking on the bike. The contour of the bottom of the bag doesn't match the slope of the tank, so there is a significant gap about half way back, if that kind of thing offends you. I don't think it would hold a big lens on a SLR either. City or GS may be the way to go.

It works for me just fine though. I carry a point and shoot. And a camera, too!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
dutch97501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Ive been using the city bag for three years now with the power kit. As mentioned in the previous post it fades rather quickly. And on the electrical side the spring loaded contact pins will melt the plastic around them if you try to use it for anything more than a phone charger.
dutch97501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,519
Ive got a GS on my GS with the fancy electrified ring. The bag and mount is solid, on road/off road/no road- that bag does not move.
My complaint is with the electrification system, it started out quite solid, but has been less than useful lately. There is a relay connected to the pos led of the ring and the metal latch point. With the bag installed, the circuit is complete and power is available at the lands. No bag, no power at the ring - very slick. Unfortunately, the lands are soft and the spring pins in the bag ring are sharp. They dig into the lands and become intermittent, causing any devices in the bag to cycle power, which is not healthy.

I sidestepped the problem by installing a 3 pin weatherproof amphenol into the bag. One pin is a common ground, one pin is always on and the third is switched to the ignition. Its not as convenient to remove the bag anymore, but it's still better than straps/zippers and far more secure than magnets.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 707
303 fabric guard will keep the fade to a min. if you care about that sort of thing.
Works real well on lots of stuff.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Hmmm - good to know about the electrical ring. I was debating whether to power the rig that way or just stay with the Powerlet cable I've got rigged now.

Also glad to hear they can take tumbles and stay put - haven't seen one in person yet so thanks for the feedback

I'm using the BMW factory tank bag and guessing it's about 13L+/- which seems to fall between the City and GS versions.

Anyone using the GS version and a TT GPS mount on the crossbar? Wondering about clearance
Old 11-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Hmmm - good to know about the electrical ring. I was debating whether to power the rig that way or just stay with the Powerlet cable I've got rigged now.

Also glad to hear they can take tumbles and stay put - haven't seen one in person yet so thanks for the feedback

I'm using the BMW factory tank bag and guessing it's about 13L+/- which seems to fall between the City and GS versions.

Anyone using the GS version and a TT GPS mount on the crossbar? Wondering about clearance
My Zumo is mounted on the handlebar crossbar with the TT locking mount. The fit is decent, I get some interference with the bag at full left lock. The bag is flexible enough to squish out of the way.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Love mine, with my new ROX risers the fit is tight, and it is a bit of a PITA to remove now. Also with the power ring if you leave the bag on it will drain your battery.. well at least mine does, but I am a well known moron when it comes to all things electrical, I may have wired it incorrectly.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Love mine, with my new ROX risers the fit is tight, and it is a bit of a PITA to remove now. Also with the power ring if you leave the bag on it will drain your battery.. well at least mine does, but I am a well known moron when it comes to all things electrical, I may have wired it incorrectly.
It will take a while to kill a good battery if nothing is plugged into the bag. The relay that activates the ring connection does draw some power, but not much at all.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
It will take a while to kill a good battery if nothing is plugged into the bag. The relay that activates the ring connection does draw some power, but not much at all.
yes.. well about 4 weeks with the bike parked and no battery charger attached seems to be about the right number