Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
If you've been racing two years and still can't finish all the loops you need to change something your doing. I'm not trying to be an ass but something isnt right. Ride with someone that can give you pointers on how to be more efficient. You could be riding to train and training yourself to do things wrong. IMHO
Just out of curiosity, how many D37 races have you run and finished? Not trying to be an ass either, just asking. They can be pretty tough.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many D37 races have you run and finished? Not trying to be an ass either, just asking. They can be pretty tough.

No offense taken, that's a fair question. No d37 races but plenty of NHHA. Actually my first race ever was a national, 94 miles. Raced am and rode 30 miles of the 2nd loop with a flat rear. Finished. I was sore as hell after and for a week I could barely walk. I've raced a few more since then and a few other series.

The reason I suggested having someone give you pointers is I took Neduro's class and it was a huge help. I could already ride but used way to much energy. Found out I was doing most things wrong. After the class and practice I was able to ride longer with a lot less energy. You can be fit as hell and spend all day fighting the bike and you end up tired, sore and without a finish.

The worst thing you can do is re enforce bad habits. I wish I had someone to teach me the right way from the beginning. It would have saved soooo much time and energy.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Some hard truth being dropped in this thread.

I race the equivalent of category B on a mountain bike, at what I like to think is a competitive level (usually mid pack with some podium finishes, depending on the track). It doesn't hold a candle to desert enduros (or really any type of motorcycle riding). I started racing open Novice in the NMDRC series this year and the only reason I was never last was because of others' DNFs and breakdowns.

I know from my experience on the pedal bike though that Strong Bad is completely correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
As you build endurance, your speed should also increase as you prolly won't be spending as much energy to go fast as you did when you started racing.
I know even when I'm out on the course on a moto that I spend SO much energy going over whoops with bad technique. Knowing where you suck the most can be half the battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
You will learn that there are places that you will be able to relax and recover. Almost NOBODY racing today can go 100% the entire race.
Sort of true, but (at least in mountain biking) all that really changes is that you are better equipped to live in the "pain cave" for the majority of the race. I may ride at 75% speed to "recover", but it still feels like 110% effort when I'm doing it. "It never gets easier, you just go harder/faster."

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
And you forgot to tell them about the puking. I was bummed I didn't have my camera handy for that.
Yeah I was DONE that day. Too bad too because I was first in class for two loops....

doesnt do much good if you're vomiting in the parking lot after DNFing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
If you've been racing two years and still can't finish all the loops you need to change something your doing. I'm not trying to be an ass but something isnt right. Ride with someone that can give you pointers on how to be more efficient. You could be riding to train and training yourself to do things wrong. IMHO
bottom line is that I dont ride enough. I end up only riding a few a year and that's just not enough to stay in shape. I'd have to be riding 3 or 4 races a month.....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
bottom line is that I dont ride enough
Same here- 4 races last year and 2 this year. You can't get better like that. That's why next year (barring injuries - fingers crossed) I hope to be out there at least once a month and hopefully more.

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote