Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #31
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Fixt.
Thank you!

The map shows 7 days and 10 hours of the trip.
The rest of the 16 days was spent riding from Milwaukee to Key West, FL and then back home from Prudhoe Bay, AK.
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
I work out a plan in advance. That makes my wife happy (she doesn't ride). Then I head out and if need be, or the spirit moves me, I change the plan. She's more comfortable if I have a plan and I'm more comfortable when she's happy. I can change the ride; can't change the wife cause she's a keeper.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #33
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Being prepared, and planning are two COMPLETELY different things.
+ 1. Seasoned travellers, no matter what the mode, seem to plan less but are usually prepared to cope with the unexpected...and have just the right amount of good gear to get them through.
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Isn't having unknows the spice of life? I can see being prepared (ie tools, proper gear, some idea of the area/culture, $$, etc.) but planning every stop, camping/hotel spot, road etc. seems to take most of the fun out of any trip no matter the mode of transport. See so many people following or asking for "routes" to get somewhere. The lease enjoyable trips for me have always been when I have a set destination and a set time to get there.
I have learned in the 20+ years of constant travel, that plans work when you have a deadline.

If I had 3 weeks to ride:
I would plan a few places to see
I would plan 10.5 days in a general direction.......like Wyoming and Montana.
Then a return 10.5 days.
Or 2 days to get to Portland and then 12 days to get back to Houston.

That'd be about the extent of it

In 2009 ( I think) I took a couple of weeks and planned for 12 months on the road, it turned out to 19 months. about 14 days to get all consumables on the bike fresh and a few days to get gear, which only 25% of it was not replaced.

it was one un-f'n-believable journey
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #35
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Why so much planning? Well I can't actually *go* on my next trip for another six months, so what else am I going to do in the meantime?

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #36
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,744
I recently heard a study that found planning for a Vacation and the anticipation, gives more pleasure that the vacation itself.

Here is the link:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...our-happiness/

Once on the road I am loose, but have to admit that planning is fun, not to the last detail, but just researching the area I will be traveling for interesting roads/things

Richard
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #37
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
I recently heard a study that found planning for a Vacation and the anticipation, gives more pleasure that the vacation itself.

.......blah blah
I just read a study that says that study is crap :)

While daydreaming and planning for vacation gives me a warn feeling, actually doing something makes me hard. Your choice.

Truffle Rustler: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10696293
lhendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #38
Kbdakar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner View Post
+ 1. Seasoned travellers, no matter what the mode, seem to plan less but are usually prepared to cope with the unexpected...and have just the right amount of good gear to get them through.

++1, I am in limbo on my first "big trip" 7000 miles, 16 states, 27 days. I did little planning and left with new gear, bike etc. I prepared with good gear and high spirits. I would not change a thing, be free enough to hop on and go but prepared enough to handle what the road throws at you.
Kbdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #39
dadridesagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Bingo!!

But my plans are usually loose, some one mentioned removing the GPS, I do the opposite, the GPS has found some fantastic little roads for me, I don't generally plot a specific route but put points of interest, or use it to get to that road I found on Google maps.

By spending lots of times with maps the GPS and Google Maps, I have found fantastic roads in NC and Smokey's, small, twisty stuff that makes the GAP look like an interstate, and I have shown locals roads they didn't know existed, they can't figure out how a Yankee from NY, can come down and show then great roads they never found, even though they ride most weekends in the area.

Also found a road in the Alps this year, that has to be the most beautiful place in all the Alps, so obscure that it didn't even show up on the GPS, and most maps of the region!!!

Here is what some research can find you, a 30km dirt road with views like this the entire ride! Could I have stumbled across it, of course, but it wasn't very likely that I would.

Man, that's gorgeous!
dadridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #40
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadridesagain View Post
Man, that's gorgeous!

Click on the link for the Meritime Alps trip in my signature line to see more.

Richard
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #41
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I could give a shit less how others plan.
And yet you start a thread about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
IMO, HUGE mistake, but I've been over it many times on this forum. I stop saying this and just continue to read because most jump on me saying I'm in the wrong.
Shibby, maybe there is no right or wrong on things like this - only personal preference.

Coffe or tea, Coke or Pepsi, people follow their preferences as they see fit and it is probably safe to say that they don't do it the same way every time.

I'm sure that people have good reasons for however they decide to pursue their recreational interests. Who are any of us to comment on how some other rider approaches his or her trip? It really doesn't affect anyone but the person on the ride.

Probably the only time it is relevant to discuss is when more than one person will be involved in a ride. Under those cirumstances it could be good to have a common understanding and agreement as to how things will proceed.

But, what do I know. I'm just another rider trying to have a good time.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #42
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Trip planning is fun!

It's a way to live the trip before you leave.

Once on the trip, it's sort of like the old battle plan cliche about all plans are good until the first shot is fired. The after I started, my plans changed and evolved.
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #43
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner View Post
Tell that to Ranulph Fiennes et al.

I have no problem with you guys not planning as much as I, or others, do but I think it says more about you having to disparage, however obliquely, those who take joy and pleasure in plans and preparation than it does about us,

I don't give a flying monkey's left arse cheek if the person who's riding 1000 miles has spent a month or a day planning - to me the important thing is that they've done it. I don't care if they're solo, or in a group, if they're riding with a film crew or just mates - just the fact that they've done, and shared with us, it works for me.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 573
Everyone is particular about what
they are particular about. I like maps, some people like diet Pepsi.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #45
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
I am a planner. All the trips I do are off-hiway in remote areas of the west where gas stations are rare.

Plus I love the planning itself. I like looking at maps and finding interesting dirt roads and spectacular sights to see.

I also do not camp and so really want to end the day in a town with a motel and restaurant.

There is no way anyone who doesn't do research and planning is going to find a place like this.

I guess if I rode pavement it would be okay to just wing it.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote