ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
KEELAYMONSTER OP
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

Oddometer: 161
Gutted stock exhaust??

Has anyone gutted the stock cans and tried them out? Im not talking just de-cat them, I mean gut everything. Im curious how they sound. My thoughts are they might sound like crap. Im just looking for a cheap way to lighten them and make them run a little cooler. If they dont sound to horrible ill probably gut mine.

I have already checked the stock cans "guts" on the HOW. Looks easy enough to do.
Kyle Montagne #141K
KEELAYMONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
KEELAYMONSTER OP
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

I suppose I should state these are off a 950 A. Could be helpful to know
Kyle Montagne #141K
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Define gut. If you truly gut them, it will sound like an obnoxious Harley and run like crap until you rejet it.
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
yes it can be done. i run a truly gutted and reworked can.

But it takes some work. I cut both end caps right behind weld, then you need to hole saw out the exhaust outlet (1 1/2" hole) is what i used. On the back side of can you must cut all the way thru which will cut thru the cat pipe also
After that you can slide the whole baffle assembly out.
I then reweld rear cap back on, welded an 1 3/4 dia pipe to the end cap, then used a 1 1/2 stainless preforated baffle thru can packed with baffle material i suggest stainless steel wool as the normal packing did not last long.
for the end cap i cut a pc off the interal baffle and welded to the inside of can so it projects enough to rivet the end cap on for repacking.
It will work and sounds good but it is loud, i ended up fitting an FMF spark arrestor on the end cap to reduce noise level.
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Really?...............Your bike won't run any better and actually worse until it is rejetted. Glad I have left the stock exhaust unmolested, seems like a waste of time and money on these bikes for NO GAIN.
2001 KTM 640 ADV....most versatile
1999 KTM 300 EXC....woods weapon
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
KEELAYMONSTER OP
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunp View Post
yes it can be done. i run a truly gutted and reworked can.

But it takes some work. I cut both end caps right behind weld, then you need to hole saw out the exhaust outlet (1 1/2" hole) is what i used. On the back side of can you must cut all the way thru which will cut thru the cat pipe also
After that you can slide the whole baffle assembly out.
I then reweld rear cap back on, welded an 1 3/4 dia pipe to the end cap, then used a 1 1/2 stainless preforated baffle thru can packed with baffle material i suggest stainless steel wool as the normal packing did not last long.
for the end cap i cut a pc off the interal baffle and welded to the inside of can so it projects enough to rivet the end cap on for repacking.
It will work and sounds good but it is loud, i ended up fitting an FMF spark arrestor on the end cap to reduce noise level.
I am aware of the necessary re jet. Did the setup you made weigh significantly less than original or is it relatively the same. Also do the cans run cooler?
Kyle Montagne #141K
Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
The cats, not the baffling, is what makes 'em run hot...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
KEELAYMONSTER OP
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
The cats, not the baffling, is what makes 'em run hot...

aaahhh. good to know. maybe just de cat them then.
Kyle Montagne #141K
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
If you want some nice cheap light pipes, buy some carbon cans from a ducati and have a welder make a quick flange to the stock mid pipe. Takes a lot less time than gutting the stockers and lighter too.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 892
The search button can be your friend. Theres several old threads about this, many with pictures and directions.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
so wieght savings was part of my goal when i did this and yes it easy drops 10-15 lbs between the two cans. My other goal was to go to a 2 into 1 setup and use the other can as a storage box which now holds my elec pump, a front and rear tube, first aid, spare plug, zip tyes and jb weld.
So was it some work, yes, does my bike look stock w/ addtioanl storage and more rumble, yes. are the cans much cooler, yes. Did it affect performance and or mileage, no.
I looked at it this way if it all worked it cost me a few bucks for material and some time which i was willing to put into it. If it did'nt work, well then i buy after market cans which i was going to do. And now i dont have to.
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
KEELAYMONSTER OP
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunp View Post
so wieght savings was part of my goal when i did this and yes it easy drops 10-15 lbs between the two cans. My other goal was to go to a 2 into 1 setup and use the other can as a storage box which now holds my elec pump, a front and rear tube, first aid, spare plug, zip tyes and jb weld.
So was it some work, yes, does my bike look stock w/ addtioanl storage and more rumble, yes. are the cans much cooler, yes. Did it affect performance and or mileage, no.
I looked at it this way if it all worked it cost me a few bucks for material and some time which i was willing to put into it. If it did'nt work, well then i buy after market cans which i was going to do. And now i dont have to.
My thinking exactly. If i can spend some of my time to save some money Im all for it.

The used cans was actually my next route if this doesnt work. I have access to a welder and a bunch of other fun tools at my work.

Also the search button sucks. Every time I try and use it it shows me a bunch of totally irrelevant stuff if anything at all. I did try manually looking through the OC posts though and didnt see anything. I have also checked out the HOW and saw whats all inside the stock cans.

Thanks for the input everyone. Ill post whatever I end up doing. Working on cutting my stock windshield down a bit today.
Kyle Montagne #141K
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
The cats, not the baffling, is what makes 'em run hot....
Sorry WP Not True ;-) Remove the cats as I did in 2005 and nothing changes heat wise.

1/ The exhaust run through the middle of the bike makes the middle of the bike bloody hot

2/ The standard muffler has 1mm of insulation under the outer skin to protect it from internal heat. This does 5/fifths of fuck all to help cool the outer skin down.

3/ An aftermarket muffler is a perforated tube with 2 1/2 inches of insulation wrapped around it under the outer skin. with the exception of a little conduction of heat at either end where inner joins outer the outer it is well insulated.

4/ The whole standard muffler is designed to function as a cat.

There is only one way to get rid of the heat, get rid of the exhaust.

You can build your own like I did or the GPR is a very attractive proposition.

If you do not like the heat............

You need to move the exhaust system out into the flowing air along with your voltage RR
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
KEELAYMONSTER OP
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

Allright.

So I have been running a 2-1 setup with a de-cat stock muffler for a while now. It's just as hot as before and really made no difference in sound or performance.

My next route is to use the outer of the stock can and replace the innards with a perf core and lots of packing. Im sure it will be loud, require a re-jet, and still be relatively heavy but it should be much cooler. Im have a stock muffler off an 08 CRF450 that i am going to rob the innards from. I'll report when I finish it...
Kyle Montagne #141K
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Zander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m View Post
You need to move the exhaust system out into the flowing air along with your voltage RR
Hi K2M,

Where do you relocate your voltage regulator to get it into clean air and keep it protected ?