ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #29251
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by russt View Post
I know this is the "ride thread", but wanted to get the question out to this group. As we all live in roughly the same area with the same traffic/ terrian. I am looking at getting a big bike in the next few months and am interested in what some of you have experienced with 2-up riding. Your likes/ dislikes of riding with a passenger on your bike. How does your bike handle, how is the power of your bike with a pasanger, and what your suggestions would be. I am considering everything from the F800GS, 950/990 Adv, 1200GS, Super Tenere, Tiger... In the next few weeks we are going to start test riding together, and am interested in what your experiences have been. This will be for road tours with boxes or bags, and as long as we are getting a big bike, I want to hit the dirt too. Currently ride a DR650 as my daily commuter/ dirt bike/ ADV bike, my wife rides a plated CRF230, and she wants to go out for multi day trips riding together; a bigger bike is needed.

Thanks in Advance!
I haven't done dirt, but I have done a few long days with my girlfriend on the back of my F800GS. I'm 165 lbs, she is 130 lbs, I do 2 up with hard panniers (Caribou/Pelican type) and a Givi E52 top box case, and I felt I had enough power to go as fast as I wanted to go on the pavement (80-85mph). But people have different preferences on power (see johngil's comment about engine size).

Some things to consider:
1. Comfort of you and your passenger. Find a dealer or dealers that allow demo rides. Take the bike out for a spin with your wife. I never did this 2 up but my girlfriend is very comfortable on my F800GS. This is probably the most important thing to do and think about.
2. Riding style...do you want to be more biased to road comfort, easy dirt roads, or rougher (bigwan/littlewan style: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?t=612129)? If it's road and easy dirt, you might like the GS's or Tigers more. If you want to be able to push it harder in the dirt, then the 990 is probably for you.

Oh yea, your stand over height and what you need to do if the bike needs lowering, as you have to stabilize the big while she mounts/unmounts.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #29252
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
Got any pics?

Oh yea, I have plenty of pictures ....... Have you any money? (J/K, I woundn't do that)

In all honesty and disclosure, she is 120-130 lbs. Wonderful wife and mother, and my best friend.
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #29253
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Oh yea, I have plenty of pictures ....... Have you any money? (J/K, I woundn't do that)

In all honesty and disclosure, she is 120-130 lbs. Wonderful wife and mother, and my best friend.

Back to bikes..........

I've done 2-up on the 990 on the road, I probably wouldn't want to do dirt unless it's just cruisin on a dirt road, but nothing too rough even though the KTM is the most dirt worthy of the bunch. Funner then shit on the twisties and I gotta be mindful she is back there as it can quickly bring the hooligan out in ya. Plenty of power and the wife says she is very comfy with the Seat Concepts tall seat. She has a back rest with the top case, but it's harder to mount the bike because it's in the way of her long legs, so we ride without the top case. When we ride for long periods we take breaks, get off and stretch and walk around to ease the old man pain.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #29254
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,428
If no dirt, Harley Davidson Electra custom dyna wide hydra low rider convertible heritage thingy.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #29255
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Small bike group is full (4) unless someone backs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
That sounds like the perfect ride plan ... especially Domingo's for lunch. If you are riding the 525 with a small group, I would be up for taking a few BIG BIKES on the same route, maybe a slightly slower pace.
Don't want to start a debate, but some parts of my planned route are not really suitable for big bikes
That being said, other parts will surely be boring on the small bike
Whatayagonnado

If I find the time, i'll piece together big bike friendly and fun route

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #29256
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
The bike size..... rider skill debate... is fun
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #29257
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:

Back to bikes..........

I've done 2-up on the 990 on the road, I probably wouldn't want to do dirt unless it's just cruisin on a dirt road, but nothing too rough even though the KTM is the most dirt worthy of the bunch. Funner then shit on the twisties and I gotta be mindful she is back there as it can quickly bring the hooligan out in ya. Plenty of power and the wife says she is very comfy with the Seat Concepts tall seat. She has a back rest with the top case, but it's harder to mount the bike because it's in the way of her long legs, so we ride without the top case. When we ride for long periods we take breaks, get off and stretch and walk around to ease the old man pain.
John,
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Any dirt that I plan to ride with her will be graded dirt roads that should be paved if anything. Our other friends that she wants to tour with have cruisers, so no dirt as a group. But I will want to hit the dirt when riding alone, so your experiences on your 990 are helpful. There was a 990 on consignment at the KTM shop in Palmdale. If it is still there we will go take it out for a run.

Take care.
Russ
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #29258
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
The bike size..... rider skill debate... is fun
Well seems most of the guys left around here can actually ride. If you can ride, bike size is really less important.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #29259
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:

Back to bikes..........

I've done 2-up on the 990 on the road, I probably wouldn't want to do dirt unless it's just cruisin on a dirt road
ah come on you puss my big ass and my wife use to rock the '82 Honda 2-up all the time...been all over Big Bear, Calicos and Hi Dez on that beast

But in all honestly fireroad stuff is most enjoyable 2-up..two track is ok until you start hitting rock gardens and shit oh and steep climbs .. then you just yell " Start walking" , been there done that but she knew it was part of the deal and even got good at a rolling dismount should it be needed
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #29260
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Two-up?

How big is your passenger? Long legs or short?

I've done Canada and back (mostly paved), lots of Baja (mostly dirt) and Panama (fair amount of dirt) two-up on a 1200GS. The bike was fine for that. Also did Alaska on a 650 Dakar. That sucked two-up.

It is really about your passenger being comfortable. If they're not, you won't be either.
I've done all of USA and central America (plus Colombia/Ecuador) two-up on a DL650. It's more than sufficient.

MJS has it right- passenger comfort is key.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #29261
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Small bike group is full (4) unless someone backs out.

Don't want to start a debate, but some parts of my planned route are not really suitable for big bikes
That being said, other parts will surely be boring on the small bike
Whatayagonnado

If I find the time, i'll piece together big bike friendly and fun route

-M
No worries, I have lots of tracks out to Husky. Will be interested in the schedule of the big group and when they are planning to arrive at Husky.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #29262
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,815
Quote:
I know this is the "ride thread", but wanted to get the question out to this group. As we all live in roughly the same area with the same traffic/ terrian. I am looking at getting a big bike in the next few months and am interested in what some of you have experienced with 2-up riding. Your likes/ dislikes of riding with a passenger on your bike. How does your bike handle, how is the power of your bike with a pasanger, and what your suggestions would be. I am considering everything from the F800GS, 950/990 Adv, 1200GS, Super Tenere, Tiger... In the next few weeks we are going to start test riding together, and am interested in what your experiences have been. This will be for road tours with boxes or bags, and as long as we are getting a big bike, I want to hit the dirt too. Currently ride a DR650 as my daily commuter/ dirt bike/ ADV bike, my wife rides a plated CRF230, and she wants to go out for multi day trips riding together; a bigger bike is needed.

Thanks in Advance!
I know I'm speaking for a friend (that's rarely on ADV) but I was just over at his house and he now has a KTM 950 but used to own a BMW GS 1200 and said hands down the KTM wins.
dirt. power. flickability. smile factor. and his wife has a better time on the KTM over the BMW. he also mentioned a problem with the BMW central wiring that even the dealer couldn't figure out.

I've ridden Scorpion's 990 and was in love. so was my GF when we rode the twisties out to Malibu/Rock Store.

post up pics of your new ride when you get it.
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #29263
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,301
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
A group of us plan at being at Mike's Roadhouse for an 8:30am DEPARTURE time....a few of us will be there eating earlier....

Sunset will be 5pm next week....
New front tire on way.... See you SE Frs for breaky
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #29264
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdad View Post
what's your game plan todd?

Quote:
No worries, I have lots of tracks out to Husky. Will be interested in the schedule of the big group and when they are planning to arrive at Husky.

bill, todd and others coming from oc. most likely you guys will take the 395 and hook up at Johannesburg or Husky. some of us are riding from home, plan to leave a 6am, good chance we will be at mike's roadhouse before 8am. We will take Cal City then get gas before heading out to the monument.

anyone wants to join the slower group, let me know by posting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
New front tire on way....
getting a front too today.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #29265
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Hahahaha...you said, "schedule"...bwahahaahhaa...

You know how it is T...sometime between 10am and 4pm....

Breakfast at the Roadhouse...leave at 8:30...Everyone will have already gassed up and set tire pressure etc etc....

We will probably Skirt the West side of the 14 up to Jawbone Station..From there take Redrock/Randsburg Rd for a couple miles...then follow the tracks near the RR Line south of that Rd to Randsburg...over the Hill to The Lakebed etc etc...

We will have 1.7 Flats...2.3 loose bags....6.4 stops for jacket removal...At this point we will send 3 riders out to find DannyG...after that we will roll into the Husky...

Hopefully you will enjoy the morning air and just want to blast up to Mojave for Breakfast....If you guys take the 405 up..several of us will meet you in the valley and ride up wich ya....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote