ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
I know where this one is! Too bad I don't have time to grab it.
You seem to know all the crack spots.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #32
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
I see this game as a means of A) encouraging people to ride to places they normally wouldn't, and B) encouraging people to document their endeavours. It would seem to me, the more active games running in parallel, the more likely you would be to get people not normally interested in playing to go document a tag a few blocks from them, and possibly get them engaged in the game. I don't see having more games as a problem, but simply giving the members here more chances to put his or her mark on the game. Maybe I missed the mark.... Like I said, I'll be riding whether I take pictures or not.
The game worked for years as is. People play when they can, the new Charleston will be no different.

Quote:
The reason some of the tags seemed to linger, is because they were further than a lot of people were willing to go for a day ride. I would normally not care about putting these miles on my bike, but I'm not made of money, and chains, tires, oil, fuel, cams, valves, piston rings, main/rod bearings, tranny dogs, gears, clutches, etc are all consumable parts. Because I'm a maintenance Nazi, I do my valve adjustments every 6k miles, and the more I ride without good reason, the quicker I have to replace parts, tackle big tasks, and the more money I spend to see places that I likely couldn't give two shits about seeing. If this game is the motivation some people need to get out and ride, that's great. I don't need motivation, so I'll play when it's convenient.
Everybody has to do maintenance, you seem to REALLY enjoy it (that's not a poke, it's cool if you like to work on your bike)

Quote:
I really wasn't trying to harp on anyone. It's not like I'm talking to a group of Harley owners that spend more time polishing their heavy chrome behemoths than putting time into developing adequate skills. It just seems like (and this is the American way), that the people complaining aren't the people contributing.
You feel this way because you haven't spent enough time playing to know who plays. When you decide to take a break from tag will you be upset if someone tells you that you are not contributing? I think I can speak for many of us when I say this whole thing started with one man's bad mood. Had this game come about under different circumstances it may have been greeted with open arms. Tag will not always move at a pace that suits all of us. There are other games on ADV that may. Did any of you ever consider looking before you decided to blow up the community? When this game fails to meet the collectives standards of the group will another one be created? The conclusion can easily be drawn that you didn't, nor did you care if you offended inmates that have been playing the lowcountry game longer than presumably you have lived in Charleston or at least known about the game. Please do not presume that we must not care because you haven't seen us play much.

I sure as hell hope that this has reached the discussion stage, if anyone took offense to anything I said, I'm sorry--that you have thin skin.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
bronco6.5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
The 'dirty minded' thing is probably reference to the road to get down there.
I'd intended to use that same place as my next tag, and was going to say that if you're not comfortable riding extremely rutted rocky roads, to approach from the east side. It's short, but not something everyone would want to do.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #34
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
The game worked for years as is. People play when they can, the new Charleston will be no different.

Everybody has to do maintenance, you seem to REALLY enjoy it (that's not a poke, it's cool if you like to work on your bike)

You feel this way because you haven't spent enough time playing to know who plays. When you decide to take a break from tag will you be upset if someone tells you that you are not contributing? I think I can speak for many of us when I say this whole thing started with one man's bad mood. Had this game come about under different circumstances it may have been greeted with open arms. Tag will not always move at a pace that suits all of us. There are other games on ADV that may. Did any of you ever consider looking before you decided to blow up the community? When this game fails to meet the collectives standards of the group will another one be created? The conclusion can easily be drawn that you didn't, nor did you care if you offended inmates that have been playing the lowcountry game longer than presumably you have lived in Charleston or at least known about the game. Please do not presume that we must not care because you haven't seen us play much.

I sure as hell hope that this has reached the discussion stage, if anyone took offense to anything I said, I'm sorry--that you have thin skin.
What would the different circumstances have been? Should I have asked the "communities" permission first? Come on man this is an Internet forum not the Lions Club. Here is it broken down. Low country tag game comes to a stand still when the game leaves Charleston. I wanted to create a game without so much downtime. This idea didn't come about from a bad mood. It came about as I was thinking how I enjoy the tag game and I'd enjoy it more if I could get more people to play. This game wasn't created to shut any other games down. As ter3e mentioned I created it to get more people playing. I'm really not sure how this created so much upset among the "community". It seems there is a lot of upset over very little. As I've said numerous times now if no one wants to play then the thread will die. Let's just all calm down. There is no reason get all worked up and challenge each others riding cred.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #35
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
My take on the issue...I like having 2 games going, one local, one more expansive.

My choices on tacking a tag; am I working 7 days this week? what gear ratios am I running? how far the ride is?

Right now, working 6 days, still have dirt ratios installed, local tag is less than 5 miles away, coastal tag is much further away.

I may grab the local tag, have to bail on the coastal. Nice to have options!
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco6.5 View Post
Keeping the theme of 'under bridges', or 'places crackheads may hang out'
Here's a new tag:
There's a railroad track right behind me here, and the next bridge has a real boat landing.
Also it's been established that my geography sucks, but I think this is still in charleston county. Over the next bridge(this is more like an overpass), I think Berkeley county starts.
Could I ask for another hint on this one. My Google map skilz have let me down. I was convinced I knew the spot until I took a ride out and realized I was wrong.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
bronco6.5
Adventurer

It's near the limehouse boat landing.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #38
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Dang I was right there. How the hell did I screw that up!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Grab I think. Far west side of Limehouse bridge?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #40
bronco6.5
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Grab I think. Far west side of Limehouse bridge?

That is very close. When I took the picture, I was literally ten feet from a set of railroad tracks.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #41
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Shit man..twice I've screwed this one up. I'm going to defer to a better tag finder than myself. I wanted to get a shot under the bridge but there was some crackheads doing lord knows what in a mustang.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #42
bronco6.5
Adventurer

When I went to this spot, there was an RV parked about 30 yards away, but I figured they were probably just cooking up some meth, no biggie.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #43
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco6.5 View Post
When I went to this spot, there was an RV parked about 30 yards away, but I figured they were probably just cooking up some meth, no biggie.

Yeah it was seedy. I didn't want to get to close as I was scootering and I was worried they'd mistake my practicality for weakness.

So just to be clear we aren't counting the photos as a grab right?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #44
Lowcountry Thumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
found tag

located under the bridge between limehouse bridge and hiway 17S.

new tag: redoubt number 3 on james island
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #45
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Nice XR