Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
its a bit futile to argue...but the above post is true!

UNLESS

you have to wait a month or more to get the jets and you're not in a big civilized country like the us or a countty in europe...

it has to do with thinking outside the box a bit and understanding that not everybody has access to $2 jets! in a day or so...or over the counter

the second to last post is exactly what you need to ream jets well, a jeweler can probably get you what you want, in my case I reamed them with torch cleaners, same thing except you dont have the nifty handle...

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Or you could just drop $2 and buy a jet. How silly.
Knowledge is not silly. It can be applied in other endeavors.

....and he did state he could not purchase the size needed.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post

UNLESS

you have to wait a month or more to get the jets and you're not in a big civilized country like the us or a countty in europe...

it has to do with thinking outside the box a bit and understanding that not everybody has access to $2 jets! in a day or so...or over the counter

the second to last post is exactly what you need to ream jets well, a jeweler can probably get you what you want, in my case I reamed them with torch cleaners, same thing except you dont have the nifty handle...

cheers
I bet those fancy ass drill bits grow on trees in the Amazon, too.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

dude?

I said torch reamers...and that those jeweler reamers/drills are exactly what you need, and yes in fact you can get them here, they are expensive though...

now getting jets over the counter or quickly thats another story

bro youre not the only person in this world...

there are others
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

bro youre not the only person in this world...

there are others
Like the next poor sap who buy this bike?
It's high on my list of stupid PO tricks, right up there with jamming SAE screws into metric threads, using Scotchlok connectors and using globs of permatex or RTV to seal a leak from the outside. It's hardly thinking outside the box, they've been doing this for decades. Sure for the guys who's stranded in the Andies, you do what you've got to do.
For the rest of you, buy the jets.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:

UNLESS

cheers

You know, what would be great would be to have a device that would extrude an abrasive paste through the jet. Extrude Hone (Kennametal) does this with diesel injectors. If one could rig up a system on the cheap, interesting. Like a Play Do Fun Factory, but for carb jets!

You could squeeze goo through the jet until you see the flow you want, using that other member's burret technique.

But then, for me, I'd just buy a Dial-A-Jet and avoid it all. Oh - forgot - already did that 14 years ago! Compensated for the open air box, Vulcan piston big bore, and full reverse cone megaphone exhaust along with temperature changes from 18 deg F to 95 deg F and elevation from sea level at Daytona to about 5000 ft in West Virginia. Carb off once to drill the float bowl for a fitting since I wanted to keep the bowl drain.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

good stuff!

i tried doing something similiar and what I tried doing was to push polishing compound(almost like fine grade valve lapping compound) in the jets and the spin the jet on a similiar sized nylon strand(pulled very tightly) to sort of polish the jet...it worked well and I still have my reamed jets to play around with...

in fact I had a 60 pilot jet that I wanted to make like an "s" style jet with bigger emulsion holes like the famed 68s for the xr650r...

I think I went too far cause it was a bit lean when wrenching the throttle.

I now have many jets to play around with thanks to friendly members on here that helped me out with jets they no longer use...I now have extras...

my point was drilling jets can get you out of dodge while you order real sized jets... and that not everywhere can you get a jet over the counter. Or quickly by internet.

by no means is drilling and polishing jets stupid, and cant be compared with splashing goo on the outside of a gasket seam or stuff like that...

its a science...how do you think they make them?

in any case

peace to all
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post

But then, for me, I'd just buy a Dial-A-Jet and avoid it all. Oh - forgot - already did that 14 years ago! Compensated for the open air box, Vulcan piston big bore, and full reverse cone megaphone exhaust along with temperature changes from 18 deg F to 95 deg F and elevation from sea level at Daytona to about 5000 ft in West Virginia. Carb off once to drill the float bowl for a fitting since I wanted to keep the bowl drain.
How well does it work? Hoopla or the real deal?
Been thinking about trying one for a long time, never got around to it.
Now I'm riding a thumper from 5,000 to 13,000 ft, might be time.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
mebuildit
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I realize that this thread is old, but I just have been looking for ways to size jets. I always thought that a reamer would give you the best finish of them all and a nice straight, true hole.
I've seen in the past that not all jets are exactly the size stamped on the sides.
Have any of you found a chart that tells the metric to inch jet sizing? or do you guys just do the conversion?
mebuildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Hobby shops-the kind that have r/c planes & stuff-usually have numbered drill bits.the main jets used in the xrl carb are the same jets used in a keihin pwc carbs.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote