Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #31
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,649
I see a big problem riding a bike with linked brakes when the ABS is not working. If you brake with the front hard enough to break the rear loose, You can't get control of the back wheel without letting up on the brakes, you may not have the option to do so.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #32
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
So changing the module fixed your odometer and speedometer?

Sorry, I don't get that at all. They are not related. The usual fix for that is a rear speed sensor. This is often caused by crud on the sensor, or a damaged sensor.

Jim
On the servo bikes (and likely the later ones also), the ABS module is responsible for transmitting the speed sensor signal onto the data bus. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see the speed sensors are connected to the ABS module. Only connection between the ABS unit and the Kombi and ZFE is the data bus.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #33
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
On the servo bikes (and likely the later ones also), the ABS module is responsible for transmitting the speed sensor signal onto the data bus. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see the speed sensors are connected to the ABS module. Only connection between the ABS unit and the Kombi and ZFE is the data bus.
Interesting that the servo unit can be removed and you still have speedo and odometer then.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #34
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,840
Happens..There Is Still Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I see a big problem riding a bike with linked brakes when the ABS is not working. If you brake with the front hard enough to break the rear loose, You can't get control of the back wheel without letting up on the brakes, you may not have the option to do so.
What you describe happens often where I ride..since I ride almost 100% dirt, a lot is down hill with weight forward and rear light...you still need the front brake and learn to feather in the rear as you apply the front...no big deal, just a touch you learn...remember the linked brakes, which I love, are 70% front and 30% rear when you apply only the front brake [which I always cover while riding], but you can feed in more rear sooner to keep it planted. ABS can be a life saver on pavement...but many of us rode bikes before ABS and learned to ride and stop without it...admittedly sometimes fear and inexperience could result in bad things happening when panic braking...but the front usually was tucked under and ther rear was not the biggest problem..

Just my experience...
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #35
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
On my 05 I had to reroute the rear speed sensor wires to the ZFE and have the bike reprogrammed.

I think some others have piped around the servo but left the servo module in place. As long as the servo is still connected and doesn't have an electronic fault in it's processor (unlikely IMO) the speedo would still work. Not really sure about the newer non-servo bikes though.