User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
14TLC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Battery disconnecting/reconnecting

I want to install Battery Bug on my 8GS but I wonder if there is any issue with disconnecting the battery. I think I read somewhere in the forum or in Haynes manual that after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery the engine management system must be reset by BMW dealer. Is this correct? Is it a big issue if I don't do this reset?

Another question related to battery disconnect. I want to charge the battery using extension wires connected directly to the battery (not via on-board socket, ZFE). Is it safe to charge the battery while is connected to the bikes electrical system?

I really feel stupid asking these questions but you never know with these digital bikes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
You do not need a dealer, the electronics will revert to the original settings and then re-adapt to your riding style.

No problem hooking up to the battery direct. The gauge wire appropriate for what ever voltage the charger delivers.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
dvfisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
No problem hooking up to the battery direct. The gauge wire appropriate for what ever voltage the charger delivers.
I think he meant, use the appropriate wire size for whatever the amperage the charger delivers. You should only charge a motorcycle battery with 1 - 2 amps max. And make sure you use a 12VDC charger.
dvfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
dalebor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TLC View Post
I want to install Battery Bug on my 8GS but I wonder if there is any issue with disconnecting the battery. I think I read somewhere in the forum or in Haynes manual that after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery the engine management system must be reset by BMW dealer. Is this correct? Is it a big issue if I don't do this reset?
As a previous poster noted the engine computer will have to relearn your engine but that's no big deal. You'll likely not notice any difference in the engine performance. You will loose the two trip odo readings, other trip computer information, and have to reset the clock. Also no big deal.

You will loose the date and next service information. The word "service" will appear on the instrument display for a few seconds when you first turn on the ignition. It's a bit annoying but doesn't hurt anything. The dealer has to reset the service information but if you have a GS911 you can do this yourself.

Dale B
dalebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,616
Right, No prob.

IF you're anal like some of us tend to be here , hook a jumper wire from the battery to the cable so when you disconnect the lead, it will still be a complete circuit and won't disturb the clock or your precious trip computer settings. The only thing done at the dealers when new or after reconnecting the batt is to set the clock, date and open and close the throttle fully twice with the key on.

But I never do......

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Yes amps not volts, it is all 12volt.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
14TLC OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone. I have a CTEK XS800 charger which came with extension cable with waterproof connector. Very convenient. My concern was resetting the "droid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
.....re-adapt to your riding style....
This is a good one. Hopefully it will learn to retract the side stand by himself
Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
14TLC OP
Adventurer

Forgot to ask another stupid but important question. Is there a warranty issue by doing this? I know it may depend on the dealer, but what would be the general attitude?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... and open and close the throttle fully twice with the key on.
Reaver:

Side question:
Does the above reset the TPS calibration range?
I recently got a GS-911 and noticed that it said the max. TPS was only 90%.
Resetting adaptation values (via the GS-911) did not fix it....
I wonder if I'm missing the last 10% of my throttle ... I need to look at that again.......
Any thoughts appreciated!

For my cars I have a 9V battery hooked to a cigarette lighter plug that I plug in before removing the battery leads,
keeps radio settings and all that but might not work on the BMW due to can-bus.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Reaver:

Side question:
Does the above reset the TPS calibration range?
I recently got a GS-911 and noticed that it said the max. TPS was only 90%.
Resetting adaptation values (via the GS-911) did not fix it....
I wonder if I'm missing the last 10% of my throttle ... I need to look at that again.......
Any thoughts appreciated!
I'm no expert buy have PDI'd a lot of new Beemers. When never ridden (NIB) or after a battery disconnect, the various computers have a good idea of what to expect but need to fine tune things by "learning" the various sensors and potentiometers. Every TPS will have a range tolerance for idle resistance and full open values. Idle is quickly learned as, well, it idles a lot. Full throttle value won't be learned until it's opened fully and that could take a while with a new bike's break in or every day riding. Doesn't really matter, it'll figure itself out eventually. The gear position pot is the same. On a PDI we'd run it in each gear for at least 3 secs during the road test. When connected to the BMW computer and selecting "reset adaptation values" it'd ask you to do a full throttle for ~2 secs (key on, eng off) and run it through the gears while on the centrestand (running). A lot of TPS values never reached 100% when I checked and resetting things only sometimes fixed it. While the owner was anal, he didn't put much faith in that reading esp after hours of playing on the slow days.

Just go ride willya!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TLC View Post
Forgot to ask another stupid but important question. Is there a warranty issue by doing this? I know it may depend on the dealer, but what would be the general attitude?

My attitude is that you worry too much. It's your bike. There aren't any tamper proof stickers on anything. You're allowed to do your own maintenance. If you put vegetable oil in it there may be a problem. Bottom line is, they have to prove negligance in order to deny warranty. Don't know what reversing the polarity would do to it but then you would just have to drag it to the road and call roadside while wearing your best "I dunno, duh!" face.

Dealers make money and get work on warranty items so it'd have to be really obvious stupidity or an unusual failure to get denied. A loyal customer gets better treatment also.

Just my experience.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I'm no expert buy have PDI'd a lot of new Beemers. When never ridden (NIB) or after a battery disconnect, the various computers have a good idea of what to expect but need to fine tune things by "learning" the various sensors and potentiometers. Every TPS will have a range tolerance for idle resistance and full open values. Idle is quickly learned as, well, it idles a lot. Full throttle value won't be learned until it's opened fully and that could take a while with a new bike's break in or every day riding. Doesn't really matter, it'll figure itself out eventually. The gear position pot is the same. On a PDI we'd run it in each gear for at least 3 secs during the road test. When connected to the BMW computer and selecting "reset adaptation values" it'd ask you to do a full throttle for ~2 secs (key on, eng off) and run it through the gears while on the centrestand (running). A lot of TPS values never reached 100% when I checked and resetting things only sometimes fixed it. While the owner was anal, he didn't put much faith in that reading esp after hours of playing on the slow days.

Just go ride willya!
Thanks, sounds like I have a "normal variation" ....
That's just what happened to me ... even after the reset and holding the throttle etc....
The TPS only goes to 90% ....
Screw it - Ride it is ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote