Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,361
How To Get Stuff Shipped In Advance In Mexico?

How To Get Stuff Shipped In Advance In Mexico?, we need to get chains and sprockets sent somewhere but how and where, we don't know anyone here.

How has everyone else done it as I am sure we are not the first.

Many thanks.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
there are 2 Mexicos, the one next to the border and "interior or main land" Mexico, wait.. where are you?? I see you are from NZ I am thinking maybe you are somewhere north (USA) so maybe that can help some in sending stuff here.

AS I was saying the border area and Baja California (the peninsula) it is call a free area so duties are less and getting things from one point to the other is easier, if you are thinking of main land it will be expensive, that is all BUT another option is to buy it in Mexico. It will take time, unless you have a small bike (even this could take time).

Some more info could be nice to have, what bike do you have, where you want to ship stuff. and so on.

Damasovi
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,061
There are quite a few inmates who expat in Mexico.

SR, MikeMike, Craneguy, Kiko, Miguelito, TurkeyCreek and on and on and on.

You probably could DHL your stuff to one of these cooperative gents with a little planning.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
I'm down in Manzanillo on the coastal road (200), SW of Guadalajara. If you're coming this way I'd be happy to receive whatever parts you need. Just be sure whoever sends them includes all the right customs documents or your shipment will be 'lost' forever. Also, be aware that you'll get billed at least 16% tax on whatever you import and no matter what anyone tells you up front, it'll take at least a week to get here from the US (even if they're overnighted). You're best off using either UPS or DHL. Fedex has horrible service in Mexico outside of all but the largest cities. If you guys are rolling through town I'm happy to offer work space and tools or even some basic (but free) accommodations. Happy trails.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
expats work, as do hostels. we shipped a country or two ahead of time in some cases.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Thanks Guys

May take up the offers, trying to get a local addy around here in Hermosillo, if it is a week or so away we can do some day runs out and hang about, we would prefer to get them sorted up here as the fronts are getting skinny, at worst we could try and find another front to cover us until the new stuff arrives, will hear about that today hopefully.

Be back to you gents.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
May take up the offers, trying to get a local addy around here in Hermosillo, if it is a week or so away we can do some day runs out and hang about, we would prefer to get them sorted up here as the fronts are getting skinny, at worst we could try and find another front to cover us until the new stuff arrives, will hear about that today hopefully.

Be back to you gents.
Oh OK, if it's just tires you need then order them in Mexico. They can usually be had anywhere within a couple of days. It's when you have to import from the US that things get sticky. If it's just tires you need then any moto shop should be able to order them for you if they don't already have them on the shelf.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Tucson

If your still in Hermosillo, and doing day rides, you will be better off going to Tucson. Getting parts supplies, maps before heading south. As Airhead mentioned you do not have to check out your moto's and should not have any issues. I will be in Hermosillo tonight, probably going to stay at San Sebastion, near the ballpark.
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Oh OK, if it's just tires you need then order them in Mexico. They can usually be had anywhere within a couple of days. It's when you have to import from the US that things get sticky. If it's just tires you need then any moto shop should be able to order them for you if they don't already have them on the shelf.
It is just chains and sprockets, we ordered the Sidewinder stuff which was on backorder, so we are getting

2 x 14 t front
2 x 43 t rear
2 x chains

At worst if we were to have them sent to you where could we pick up another 14T front for the DR650, up here?

Will go out to the bikes and take photos of the front sprockets so you can see, we were going to go through Copper Canyon then head down your way, we may have to chance tactics, back in 5.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
At worst if we were to have them sent to you where could we pick up another 14T front for the DR650, up here?
I've never been to Hermosillo, so I can't help with specifics, but I'd imagine a city of 750,000 would have a decent suzuki dealership, especially since police often ride V-stroms down here. For the rest of the stuff, if it's on backorder and you're not picky on the brand, the local suzuki guy here can get any oem suzuki parts in a couple of days from Guadalajara. Enjoy copper canyon.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

This is my bike with 18962 miles on the clock

This is Ellens bike with 18227 miles on the clock

As I said, wanted to and tried to be done and dusted before now but outside circumstances didn't let this happen
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJeff View Post
If your still in Hermosillo, and doing day rides, you will be better off going to Tucson. Getting parts supplies, maps before heading south. As Airhead mentioned you do not have to check out your moto's and should not have any issues. I will be in Hermosillo tonight, probably going to stay at San Sebastion, near the ballpark.
By my reckoning you will only be about 3 km from us, will PM you where we are.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 935
What part of Mexico now? still looking?
I have a hair brain idea if your not traveling to quickly down the coast... & still in need of parts...??

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
I've had lots of stuff shipped down here always by USPS.

Taxes are hit and miss. Small packets are ignored. Bigger boxes get hit for taxes.

FedEx and the other couriers always declare.

Everything made it to me in 10 to 14 days.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
What part of Mexico now? still looking?
I have a hair brain idea if your not traveling to quickly down the coast... & still in need of parts...??
Hermosillo till tomorrow lunch then off toward Copper Canyon, Copper Canyon then south/east/west from there

Only need our chains and sprockets for both bikes, everything else is done and dusted