Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
zvez OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Garmin 350LM mount options Multistrada

Well did a search but can't seem to find a lot about the 350LM garmin. I've been using a Garmin nuvi for a few years on my goldwing which has served me well, Wing's going away to be replaced by a Multistrada 1200.

Does anyone have links for different mount options for the 350LM, not a lot out there on this unit I guess since it's pretty new.

Thanks!
Chris
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Oddometer: 62
Garmin Zumo 350LM mount options

Good afternoon Chris,

The Garmni Zumo 350LM includes the all necessary RAM mounting hardware. No further accessories are needed. I have had two Ducati Hypermotards and have mounted both the Zumo 660 and Garmin Oregon 450 to the handle bars with the included hardware.

If you haven't purchased the unit yet, you might consider that the Garmin Zumo 350LM is a fairly new device and there are some points to consider about it. I wrote a primer on this a few days ago and that information may be of assistance. The ADV Rider thread is here. Look at the second post "GPS Ready Room".

If you do purchase the unit, just mount it to the Multistrada and start to use it. If you are considering a locking mount, here is your choice. The product line is mature and works. The 350LM is merely a replacement for the discontinued Zumo 550.

That Multistrada is a nice bike. Well done.

River
River Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
zvez OP
Adventurer

River thanks so much for the superb info. I did look at the primer you mention and think I shall revisit it.

Thanks again, I do have concerns bout it being a new unit and have thought perhaps the 660 as I don't need bluetooth, but the lifetime updates is a big point as on my nuvi it's around $60 or so. And my understanding you get up to four updates a year for the life of the unit.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Pilot View Post
Good afternoon Chris,

The Garmni Zumo 350LM includes the all necessary RAM mounting hardware. No further accessories are needed. I have had two Ducati Hypermotards and have mounted both the Zumo 660 and Garmin Oregon 450 to the handle bars with the included hardware.

If you haven't purchased the unit yet, you might consider that the Garmin Zumo 350LM is a fairly new device and there are some points to consider about it. I wrote a primer on this a few days ago and that information may be of assistance. The ADV Rider thread is here. Look at the second post "GPS Ready Room".

If you do purchase the unit, just mount it to the Multistrada and start to use it. If you are considering a locking mount, here is your choice. The product line is mature and works. The 350LM is merely a replacement for the discontinued Zumo 550.

That Multistrada is a nice bike. Well done.

River
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
"All things being equal, costs as no factor, regardless of manufacturer, the Garmin Zumo 66x or Garmin Montana 6xx are the only devices that are sophisticated, rugged and engineered with enough software flexibility to be the core devices for all motorcycle evolutions. Zumo 220 is acceptable for entry level costs. Garmin GPSMap 6x units are acceptable. Garmin Oregon 4xx-5xx units are acceptable. All these units have smallish screens. The Zumo 350LM does not support the same robust features, software, A2DP and track manipulation at this time and cannot be recommended."

Besides not being an MP3 player, what else does the 350LM lack?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Garmin 350LM mount options Multistrada

Good afternoon Chris,

Your welcome. Glad to help.

The good news is that all new Garmin Zumo 660's now include Lifetime Maps at no additonal charge. Still the same price as before. They are called the Zumo 660LM. Yes, you can download up to four times a year. Zumo 660's also include Bluetooth. The Zumo 660LM will do everything you need. If $ are a concern, the Zumo 220 is an option but with that small screen, you'll wish you spent a few more for the bigger screen and real estate of the Zumo 66xLM's.

Give us a call if you need more help and good luck with that great Multistrada.

River Pilot Tours
Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
PH: (01) 307-222-6347
E: tours@riverspilot.com
Web: www.riverspilot.com
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Garmin 350LM shortcomings delineated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
"All things being equal, costs as no factor, regardless of manufacturer, the Garmin Zumo 66x or Garmin Montana 6xx are the only devices that are sophisticated, rugged and engineered with enough software flexibility to be the core devices for all motorcycle evolutions. Zumo 220 is acceptable for entry level costs. Garmin GPSMap 6x units are acceptable. Garmin Oregon 4xx-5xx units are acceptable. All these units have smallish screens. The Zumo 350LM does not support the same robust features, software, A2DP and track manipulation at this time and cannot be recommended."

Besides not being an MP3 player, what else does the 350LM lack?

Hello Emoto,

at this time those insufficiencies are the big ones. The MP3 player is a more global item with many Garmin PND's and they are certainly aware of the platform distinctions among model lines. A user is given device options and at this time, the Zumo 66x series are the available option for those looking for particular feature sets. Don't expect MP3 on the device. Go Zumo 66x.

The hard drive size is 3.50 GB direct from the factory with only CNNT 2013.2 installed. Showing 659MB available. Would like to see 7-8 GB as with the Montana series but I believe this is actually going in the other direction due to lower price points desired to inspire sales. Higher HD space costs more, even if its a little bit. The HD size will certainly stay the same during the life of the device.

At the time of this writing, the device can't handle a simple track. Create a simple track and send it over. The device won't recognize it. That's a big one.

Lower rubber covers for SD card slot and 3.5mm audio jack may eventually become less malleable. Secure compartments similar to Zumo 66x or Montana 6x would have been a good idea.

The sample unit is having battery strength issues. Even after being plugged in for a full day into a Garmin wall charger, the battery indicator shows it as "low". Could truly be a battery issue or the software. Who knows.

Battery isn't accessible like the Zumo 66x or Montana.

The simplified, single connector to the cradle is a clean setup but only time will tell if it's durable enough. Garmin has good R&D and quality.

When one touches the screen to move it with a finger, it has the common "rolling" and "smoothness" feel to it like the other new devices. The standard Zumo 66x and Montana 6xx lines have a very definite and workable screen digitizer. This one moves the screen more than desired.

Strengths - The Zumo 350LM has Garmins excellent fit and finish and is a great device to hold in one's hands.

We had high expectations for this unit but unfortunately, it's a substantial deviation from the other Zumo's. However, over time and with user input, the developers can (and should) go on an offensive and start updating the units software like the Montana series. If they do, it may turn the corner. This has the potential to be a good unit and we are pulling for Garmin to keep on this and bring it up to standards.

In summary - Until such time as the unit has some of these items addressed, it's best to stick with the prior recommendations.

Good questions and good luck with your GPS.

River Pilot Tours
Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Thanks for the reply, River Pilot. Sounds like the track thing is the largest concern. I am going to do some research on this. A quick look at both the 350 and 660 manuals does not reveal much about track use in terms of differences that I could see.

Am I correct in thinking that "you" want to use a track for offroad routing? Or on maps that don't support routing? Pardon my ignorance, I am trying to figure out the need and primary use for a track that one would create, so I can follow what you say.

I will experiment a bit with creating a track and trying to send it to the unit and see what it does. Your experience is that "The device won't recognize it". What is the desired method of recognition? Is it simply to show the created track on the screen, or something more elaborate?

Thanks for your patience with my simplistic questions!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
zvez OP
Adventurer

This is great information guys. I'm kind of leaning towards the 660LM right now, tho I'm not sure track capability will be needed for me as I'll be strictly paved roads.

I guess I'm a bit confused tho,, nearly everything I've read, it doesn't seem the 350 is an improvement over the 660 and yet more expensive but has more limitations?

Chirs
Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Garmin Zumo 350LM vs. Garmin 660LM

Good day Chris and Emoto,

With your permission I'll combine the answers to your questions in one.

@Chris - "it doesn't seem the 350 is an improvement over the 660 and yet more expensive but has more limitations". Answer: Correct. At this time it is not. Counterintuitive isn't it? We were hoping for an addition to the "family" that would be of similar or better capabilities and unfortunately it is not. It may change in the future with O.S. updates but it's not suggested to wait for "possible" fixes. The 660LM is tried, trusted, capable and has its only peer in the Montana 6xx series.

@Emoto - If I was to narrow it down, from larger to small its: a. Lack of ability to use or even impliment a user defined track b. lack of A2DP for more than just Bluetooth headsets, c. lack of MP3 support d. lack of sufficient hard drive size e. requirement to change MTP settings in order to use it with Mapsource

Yes, in the Garmin 350LM Manual look at page 10. There you will find information about TracBack. TracBack is a trade name for a process. That process is to take a "track log" that is created when one moves in any direction and to name and store it. Within the GPS, TracBack is really creating a "track". Then, when TracBack is initiated, the GPS loads the saved "track" file, reverses it, and you go back the way you came. In essence, the device is using an internal track for navigation. Its odd that the device can use an internal "track" yet a user can't create one and send it over.

Question: " Am I correct in thinking that "you" want to use a track for offroad routing? Or on maps that don't support routing? " Answer: Yes on both accounts. For us, the lack of track manipulation, or to even see it, is indicative of a more global problem. As a rider becomes more accustomed to the device and uses more features, the ability to send over a user defined route or track becomes normal. All Garmin Zumo's to date work with a track. The Zumo 350LM does not.

Yes, Off road riding and going in locations where the underlying map doesn't have a road will require pre planning or a track sent over (unless of course you just blaze a trail where you want to). Think of it in these terms. Buying a car without air conditioning. While it works, the car is missing a standard and rather important convenience. While a track may seem like an advanced item, it will become more necessary as time goes on.

Question: "What is the desired method of recognition? Is it simply to show the created track on the screen, or something more elaborate?" Answer: Both. The device should allow for a user to see the custom route or track sent over to it and then to either watch it in the devices "GPS simulator" or to actually go out and navigate it.

Summary - With the current availability of the Zumo 66x and the Garmin Montana 6xx, its not imperative to get this "fixed at all costs" because the those other devices feature not only entry level capabiliites but advanced features we all need as well. Buy either one and enjoy the road. The Zumo 350LM will be a work in progress while the other devices carry the day to day lifting.

Good questions. I hope that helps.

~ River

River Pilot Tours
Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
zvez OP
Adventurer

River,
very helpful information, your description makes track capabilty sound good, as how many times I discover a route and wish I could remember it.
Thanks very much!
Chris
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Pilot View Post
The hard drive size is 3.50 GB direct from the factory with only CNNT 2013.2 installed. Showing 659MB available. Would like to see 7-8 GB as with the Montana series but I believe this is actually going in the other direction due to lower price points desired to inspire sales. Higher HD space costs more, even if its a little bit. The HD size will certainly stay the same during the life of the device.
You should not be calling the storage on any modern gps a "hard drive". They are solid state memory devices which do not suffer from the problems inherent in a gps which does use a hard drive. There were some Garmins (2620/C330) which actually used hard drives but when used on a motorcycle, they were prone to failure. Once SSD became cheaper, it replaced the real hard drives.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
Well did a search but can't seem to find a lot about the 350LM garmin. I've been using a Garmin nuvi for a few years on my goldwing which has served me well, Wing's going away to be replaced by a Multistrada 1200.

Does anyone have links for different mount options for the 350LM, not a lot out there on this unit I guess since it's pretty new.

Thanks!
Chris
Here's what I just used on my NC700X. It's a Techmount 4-30912 retails for 49.95. http://www.techmounts.com/products/i...arch&mount=bar

'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?

River pilot, thanks for the explanation. I was aware of the "track back" feature, but now I understand how you like to use other kinds of tracks. I agree that being able to display a track created elsewhere and pushed to the unit would be a good feature to have, particularly for offroad or hiking use.

I will still play around with this when I get a chance, just to see if there have been any updates.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
zvez OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the link Gene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
Here's what I just used on my NC700X. It's a Techmount 4-30912 retails for 49.95. http://www.techmounts.com/products/i...arch&mount=bar

Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
TraumaQueen
WW( ;,; )D?

Oddometer: 449
$100 rebate on the Zumo 350LM

I've posted this in a couple of other threads.

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/2...in-rebate.html

Last year's road trip: MN - UT - OR - MN

TraumaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote