ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
turbojet OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 46
Question Ktm 990?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I thought I would throw this out in this forum again. I am thinking of jumping ship from a 800GS (before that had an 1100GS) to the last of the 990's. Issues I think the KTM would solve would be highway power/speed and off road performance. Concerns are maintenance and mileage. As a long term BMW rider this decision involves a fair amount of angst. Thanks in advance for help.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD
 
BELSTAFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona--Land of the free and heavly armed
Oddometer: 1,040
vise a versa

I made the switch the other way had a 2010 990 that was possessed & tried on three separate occasions to kill me.

Loved the bike, had more usable HP than a normal person needs or can use,would cruise at I-state speed ( 75-95 mph)
in the hi-hole & would go more if you wanted to reduce you tire contact patch to zero.

But like I said the bitch was possessed,so after her third attempt at my assassination, I sold her and went BMW 800 gs, same

hi-way speeds, MORE comfort seating, as in Sargent Yes I'm a happy camper now, and have lived to ride a lot more

But that's my story & i'm sticking to it & not what you ask,

2009 & newer seem to have all the old issues well in hand,--snatchy throttle, water pump etc, if you do your own maintenance their

like any piece of machinery --they go back together just like they came apart--easy to work on at least for me anyway.

They do however use up rear tires at an alarming rate----so if you want to go fast in the rough stuff & don't mind picking up a

behemoth when it decides it's nap time KTM 990 's the bike for you
__________________
"WIND CALLS THE HEART,ADVENTURE BEGINS"

Arizona OHV Ambassador

BELSTAFF screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 12:28 PM Reason: add
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
ebnelson
Frozen rider
 
ebnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Boulder
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I thought I would throw this out in this forum again. I am thinking of jumping ship from a 800GS (before that had an 1100GS) to the last of the 990's. Issues I think the KTM would solve would be highway power/speed and off road performance. Concerns are maintenance and mileage. As a long term BMW rider this decision involves a fair amount of angst. Thanks in advance for help.
I hear you. I got gun shy every time I was ready to pull the trigger on the 950 and later 990. Fun test rides though!
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!
 
GeeK_InsiDe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 204
I had a 950 Adv before my actual '08 800GS.

The 950 has better suspensions (WP) you can adjust, a powerful engine but you can't ride it under 2500rpm, is heavier, drinks a lot of fuel and the seat isn't comfortable. You can't make some tight curves as you can with the GS (I don't know the name in english for the distance in what you can ride a tight circle).

Speedo and onboard computer isn't as good as the one on the GS too...

In fact, the only thing I regret is the "explosive" V-Twin of the 950...

Two great bikes
__________________
Sorry for my bad english
GeeK_InsiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Podman
Rocketman
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Oddometer: 229
Rode BMW's for 17-18 years. Last 16 months ktm990smt. Fun bike. Month ago 2700 mile trip on it big grin factor. Maybe triumph 800 next time.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Blur
Beaned
 
Blur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: by the fire
Oddometer: 3,896
If you've ever been told that your riding scares people, get the 990. If you have trouble finding people to ride with because they think you're nuts, get the 990.

I've owned 4 BMW's over the years. Worked as a motorcycle instructor at the BMW PC for 2 years and got to ride everything they had. I think BMW makes great bikes. Very well made, very dependable.

The 990 isn't nearly as nice in fit and finish. The damn glove compartment lid comes off my bike a lot when I ride. When I was re-attaching the left gas tank (after changing the oil), I had to get a 2x4 to help me line up the bolt holes.

This, however, can be an advantage. When I get stuck in the woods, I have no trouble kicking the bike over so I can drag it out. I never could get comfortable doing this with my Adventure. I RIDE the 990 .... and ride it hard. You have to... it doesn't like anything under 5 grand.

I bought a 990 in June. I've ridden it to the northeast (from NC), I've ridden it in the woods, in the snow.... everywhere. I love this bike!

The truth is...you'll have fun on whatever you choose. But pick the bike that speaks to you.
(Of course, if you hear voices in your head, you should probably buy the 990)

Have fun! Ride hard! Be safe!




(The whole time I was writing this reply, Buckcherry's 'Crazy Bitch' was playing in my head. I think they were probably thinking of a 990 when they wrote the song.)
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
ebnelson
Frozen rider
 
ebnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Boulder
Oddometer: 233
I'm not sure this thread should have been moved to Orange Crush from Parallel Universe. The point was of moving from a F800GS to KTM, asking F800GS riders what they thought.
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD
 
BELSTAFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona--Land of the free and heavly armed
Oddometer: 1,040
how it is

the moderator givith, & the moderator taketh away,blessed be the moderator
__________________
"WIND CALLS THE HEART,ADVENTURE BEGINS"

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
turbojet OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 46
It's all good! Thanks for the replies. Test road a 990 today, definitely more go than my 800 and fun to ride (at least on the street). Seat seemed better than my stock 800GS 2x4.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
HighFive
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,515
I had a 950 before switching to the F800GS.

The 950 motor is more exponential.....so, quicker on pavement but more challenging to control in the dirt. The F800 is much smoother and more linear power band. You need better throttle control habits for the 950/990 offroad.

The KTM stock suspension is better. After $2k upgrade () my F8 performs admirably.....once brought up to my personal standards.

My 950 averaged 35 mpg fuel consumption. The F8 is getting 50+ mpg. Not sure how the 990 compares.

The maintenance routine on the 950 was a real PITA......ridiculously so. And I'm a good mechanic that likes wrenching. I got sick of working on my 950. Too much crapola to remove for simple tasks like oil change. They say you get used to it. I never did. Probably biggest reason I sold it. Bike was a real hoot to ride, otherwise. Well that....and I had to pick it up once. Ho-chi-momma that thing was top heavy tough to stand back up for this 5' 9" old fart.

Comparatively, the F8 is a breeze to work on. It's well thought out for easy access with good fit & finish. Haven't had to do much to it anyway. I like this aspect much better. AND its quite easy to pick up! I think that's due to the lower and better mass centralization primarily due to fuel location.

Both are super fun bikes with their own quirks......and expensive to own. I had a lot of fun on my 950, but have definitely enjoyed my F800 more.

HF

Ps. Seats are very easy to modify or replace to your liking.....not a serious factor.
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '71 Honda CL70
Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow Texas or Bust!
Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 04:35 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
MAXVERT
Rough Rider
 
MAXVERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sun Valley Idaho
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I had a 950 before switching to the F800GS.

The 950 motor is more exponential.....so, quicker on pavement but more challenging to control in the dirt. The F800 is much smoother and more linear power band. You need better throttle control habits for the 950/990 offroad.

The KTM stock suspension is better. After $2k upgrade () my F8 performs admirably.....once brought up to my personal standards.

My 950 averaged 35 mpg fuel consumption. The F8 is getting 50+ mpg. Not sure how the 990 compares.

The maintenance routine on the 950 was a real PITA......ridiculously so. And I'm a good mechanic that likes wrenching. I got sick of working on my 950. Too much crapola to remove for simple tasks like oil change. They say you get used to it. I never did. Probably biggest reason I sold it. Bike was a real hoot to ride, otherwise. Well that....and I had to pick it up once. Ho-chi-momma that thing was top heavy tough to stand back up for this 5' 9" old fart.

Comparatively, the F8 is a breeze to work on. It's well thought out for easy access with good fit & finish. Haven't had to do much to it anyway. I like this aspect much better. AND its quite easy to pick up! I think that's due to the lower and better mass centralization primarily due to fuel location.

Both are super fun bikes with their own quirks......and expensive to own. I had a lot of fun on my 950, but have definitely enjoyed my F800 more.

HF

Ps. Seats are very easy to modify or replace to your liking.....not a serious factor.
Perfect, just as we thought, you winners need to stay on the BMW forums and eat my dust out on the trail.
That is of course if you ever get more than 10 miles from starbucks.

Get back to your cubicle and let the Men rage.

Max
__________________
Da oggi la strada
senza limiti
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!
 
Alleycatdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
If you've ever been told that your riding scares people, get the 990. If you have trouble finding people to ride with because they think you're nuts, get the 990.

(Of course, if you hear voices in your head, you should probably buy the 990)




(The whole time I was writing this reply, Buckcherry's 'Crazy Bitch' was playing in my head. I think they were probably thinking of a 990 when they wrote the song.)
^^^This....
__________________
When in doubt, PIN IT! It may not help, but it'll sure end the suspense...
Wretched Exce$$ See ADVr's around the world-ADV spotwalla page
Riding Wretched Wretched Passes
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
go2cnavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
go2cnavy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Newport, RI
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Concerns are maintenance and mileage. As a long term BMW rider this decision involves a fair amount of angst. Thanks in advance for help.
If you're worried about MPGs and maintenance intervals don't buy a 990. If your're like the rest of us hooligans who don't give a damn about poor MPGs caused by the right wrist and enjoy wrenching on your toys then the 990 is the perfect bike.
__________________
Current Stable
- 2007 990A
- 2005 CRF450R - plated
- 1992 250 EXC
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Tom_C
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Perfect, just as we thought, you winners need to stay on the BMW forums and eat my dust out on the trail.
That is of course if you ever get more than 10 miles from starbucks.

Get back to your cubicle and let the Men rage.

Max
Wow, where did that come from? I personally appreciated the response, as it gave a balanced view of both bikes.

Still going to end up with a katoom though...
__________________
I've gotten old enough to enjoy the journey, and not just the method of travel.
07 KTM 950SE - possibly the forever bike... Til I get too old to get my leg that high...
Tom_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts
 
ShadySmurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Labama
Oddometer: 540
Owned a F800GS. Own a 990ADV R.

I rode the 800 pretty hard, dropped it quite a bit...still a heavy bitch...not a dirt bike. Soooo, if you are going for a heavy big bike anyway...990 no question. I did love the BMW, thought I was going to get another after I wrecked it. I am sure I made the right decision going to KTM now though. Try it out dude, if you hate it (not going to happen) you can always sell her and go back to the 800. 990 makes smiles everytime you get on it, and sounds way more badass when you get a real exhaust on it.

Of course my other bike is a supermoto and I am a hooligan at heart.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014