Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #14206
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
You do? How is that hooked up?
Just take it as granted I am not going to like ABS , anywhere. I Ilike to use the brakes and be in complet control of them. It is a lot more fun for me
Here ya go.

http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-1200-Z...XT-1200-Z.html
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #14207
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I agree with everything you said but this. Rear brake pads go much quicker on this bike than just about any other. This is very well documented here and on the S10 forum; with most reports saying 7000-12000 miles per set of rear pads (although there are definitely out-layers). Luckily they're cheap, and literally take 2 minutes to swap out.

Speaking of, now that the whole oil thing has been covered, what brake pad preference does
everybody have? Sintered, organic, semi metallic, kevlar organic....
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #14208
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Speaking of, now that the whole oil thing has been covered, what brake pad preference does
Stock?
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #14209
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I would have preferred stock, but I just bought whatever the dealership had on the shelf, which happened to be EBC HH Sintered pads. Talked them down to price matching the OEM's online price of $26 or there about.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #14210
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,747
Cool2 Well, maybe...

Quote:
I agree with everything you said but this. Rear brake pads go much quicker on this bike than just about any other. This is very well documented here and on the S10 forum; with most reports saying 7000-12000 miles per set of rear pads (although there are definitely out-layers). Luckily they're cheap, and literally take 2 minutes to swap out.

I can only speak to my own experience, but both the front and rear pads on my lasted more than 21,000 miles... And both could have gone farther. I just swapped them because I was there, prepping for an upcoming 2,500+ mile trip.

That said, I rarely, if ever, touch the rear brake pedal.

Quote:
Speaking of, now that the whole oil thing has been covered, what brake pad preference does everybody have? Sintered, organic, semi metallic, kevlar organic....

I was so impressed with the performance, feel, and durability of the stock Yamaha pads that's what I went with.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #14211
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
I am at 13K and it looks like I will need rear pads with in a couple thousand miles. Must be the linked thing as I rarely use the rear brake pedal. For example my old ZX11 had the original rear pads when I sold it with 80K on it.

I have always had good luck with EBC HH pads and will probably try them. I know they are harder on the rotors but I like how they work and like how they last. Usually they are also a lot cheaper. However, I did find OEM pads on line at one place for $22 and change. I haven't checked the price of EBC's yet.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #14212
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Stock?
Quote:
I would have preferred stock, but I just bought whatever the dealership had on the shelf, which happened to be EBC HH Sintered pads. Talked them down to price matching the OEM's online price of $26 or there about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
I can only speak to my own experience, but both the front and rear pads on my lasted more than 21,000 miles... And both could have gone farther. I just swapped them because I was there, prepping for an upcoming 2,500+ mile trip.

That said, I rarely, if ever, touch the rear brake pedal.

I was so impressed with the performance, feel, and durability of the stock Yamaha pads that's what I went with.

Dallara

~
Weird, after riding to Alaska not being able to use a rear brake, I don't use it much either.

When I just changed out the rear wheel I didn't think the pads were bad at 9K. I thought I would
look closer at the front tonight.

I'm an online guy. The closest Yamaha dealer burned bridges with me years ago on my first FJR
purchase. I even worked there for 8 years as a youngster. Next closest is maybe 20 minutes away
I just never seem to have a need to go there.

So got on ebay and there are too many choices. So that's why the opinion question. I can find stock
parts on another site. Maybe I'll just get out of the office and support the brick and mortar guys.

Hence the confusion..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...e+pad&_sacat=0
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #14213
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I suggest you try both ABS systems. I don't have a clue how well the new BMW ABS will work, but the S10 works pretty well nearly everywhere for 98% of riders. .
How many times must I say it, I don’t like ABS on a MC and if I had a choice I would never have it again.
I have a 2005 R1200GS that I have been riding for the last 8 years. I would not still have the bike if I could not turn ABS off and ignore the linkage system on it.
These are two things I dislike about the bike, ABS and linkage.

I like using the brakes on a MC, it is fun for me.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #14214
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How many times must I say it, I don’t like ABS on a MC and if I had a choice I would never have it again.
Then just pull the ABS fuse and trash it at the dealership; your biggest complaint is now completely eliminated!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #14215
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Then just pull the ABS fuse and trash it at the dealership; your biggest complaint is now completely eliminated!
Do you take candy from babies too? The one thing mudcat could possibly have to bitch about
and you take it away. Grinch.

Oh wait, the throttle hiccup, nevermind.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #14216
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,166
28,000 miles and still on original brake pads, front and back are wearing about the same, should go another 8k easy maybe more.

I use UBS almost all the time, tho I do add some rear to the front (UBS) when stopping quicker. ABS is superb on this bike and will be the standard to go by for me in the future on other bikes. Never found a need to disable, and I have been on about all you want to get into on and off road.

The 2013 Multi 12 is also software linked to apply rear when you apply front brake. Looks like some type of linked brakes is coming for most all bikes.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #14217
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you take candy from babies too? The one thing mudcat could possibly have to bitch about
and you take it away. Grinch.

Oh wait, the throttle hiccup, nevermind.

Awww, too bad the ABS fuse isn't of the mini blade variety! Then you could pull it out of the ABS slot, and jam it into the clutch switch... and POW POW!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #14218
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
I have a 2005 R1200GS that I have been riding for the last 8 years. I would not still have the bike if I could not turn ABS off and ignore the linkage system on it.

OK Buy the bike, rip it out, bypass the whole thing, put the system aside and sell it in 10 years to fund your retirement.

But really I've got to ask, why the whole anti ABS thing.

Manufacturers are now making bikes with non switchable ABS because in general, they are required to.
So don't get me wrong, I am only expressing MY opinion based on MY experience with MY bike.

I don't care about "nanny states" or how any other bikes ABS works because they are all different. If I couldn't buy a bike without ABS, I would just treat the whole thing as a personalization (farkle) and go and get the thing permanently disabled. If I decided I hated it I would buy a bike with out it installed and save a few dollars.

But in the end I saved big bucks by going for the YAMAHA and can't see any downsides. The bike works really well with or without ABS / UBS. It's just I don't ride enough to keep my skill levels up that high and haven't found a place where the ABS/UBS has caused me a problem. Not that I go looking for it.

When I can I just ride and go down roads, whatever they may be. YMMV.

Maybe a KTM would be more to your liking. It's a bit more raw and feral.

I am not trying to convince you of anything really, just giving you MY opinion.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #14219
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,747
Cool2 Sad news...

Quote:

I feel your pain... That's the way I used to feel about ABS, and all my other bikes are ABS-free. For me it's really not a problem one way or the other. That said, the ABS on the Super Ténéré is about as close to having your cake and eating it, too - i.e. having ABS yet never really knowing you do for the most part.

But unfortunately you better get used to ABS, or find a bike now without it you want to keep for the rest of your life. IIRC, the powers that be are about to mandate all street-legal bikes come standard with ABS in Europe, and it is looking like all the major manufacturers are going to be equipping all their bikes with ABS to stave off government regulations from telling them the best way to do it. After a certain point, due to no more than basic economies of scale, it'll be cheaper for them to simply make all their bikes with ABS standard. Then there is the liability issue... Once they start equipping large portions of their model line-ups with ABS then any model that doesn't have it becomes a potential lawsuit magnet.

Point is, standard, across-the-board ABS is coming, like it or not. Thank goodness folks like Yamaha are making it pretty damn good now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
28,000 miles and still on original brake pads, front and back are wearing about the same, should go another 8k easy maybe more.

I use UBS almost all the time, tho I do add some rear to the front (UBS) when stopping quicker. ABS is superb on this bike and will be the standard to go by for me in the future on other bikes. Never found a need to disable, and I have been on about all you want to get into on and off road.

The 2013 Multi 12 is also software linked to apply rear when you apply front brake. Looks like some type of linked brakes is coming for most all bikes.

And as above, linked brakes are coming, too... Whether we like it or not, driven as much by bureaucrats who think motorcycles should be more like cars, with one actuating point applying the brakes on all the wheels on the vehicle. IIRC, this is also in some of the European regulation proposals to make ABS standard on bikes. My recollection is that these proposed regulations will not allow switches to turn either system "off", either.

Welcome to "1984", and "Big Brother" is going to "save you"...

Regarding the pads, Llamapacker... my experience mirrors yours - i.e. the pads F&R wore at about the same rate, and though I changed them at 21,500 miles they could have gone quite a bit further.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #14220
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
But really I've got to ask, why the whole anti ABS thing.
Despite all the glowing endorsements for the ABS system on my 1200, I found the system to be only a source of frustration and close calls.
And I like to use a brake to steer at times; I want to be able to lock a wheel. In the dirt I may want to lock both wheels, at times

My 1200 is much more fun to ride with ABS off and I have better control of the bike.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 06:52 PM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote