ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #31
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
now that's some funny shit right there!

glad everything's fine.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #32
backseat_driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Baja Ho's wife

I am home from Cabo now and I just wanted to thank everyone. Whenever Baja Ho rides I get texts and emails throughout the day letting me know he is safe. I received a phone call from the SPOT team within 1-2 minutes of the SOS text message on my phone. I had not even checked my message yet when I got the phone call because I was walking up to a neighbor's house for dinner. I have to say the SPOT team was excellent! She made all the calls to San Quintin (Search and Rescue - whoever that is). After 2-3 hours they told her they did not have the man power to continue their efforts. I did not find out until the next morning that a volunteer did continue looking and only found parts of a motorcycle. Fortunately I did not get this news until after Nancy at Old Mill called to tell me Baja Ho had problems with his master cylinder, returned to the Old Mill, his 3 friends went on and he was sleeping soundly. That's when I finally broke down and cried.

Just so you know, Baja is different. She/SPOT said some areas are good about going out to rescue you and some could care less. We weren't getting the help from San Quintin search and rescue so SPOT called the US Consulate and someone else. Baja Ho had to call the US Consulate to let them know he was safe and not lost.

Baja Ho has always had his SPOT attached to his bike. I think it was in August when his friend went over a cliff and separated from his bike and we discussed if wearing his SPOT might be a better idea. I will get more information hopefully today. I sent him a link as to where he can pick up his SPOT and told him if he ever loses it he needs to contact them ASAP so I don't call in the Army. I am sure all of your wife's would have done the same. There is nothing worse than thinking your husband is in the middle of nowhere broken in pieces or being tortured.

Mexican cell phone for the next trip........
backseat_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #33
sloburban
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Great news!
sloburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #34
backseat_driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Yes it is great news! After sending my husband google images of where the SPOT was sending messages, he found his SPOT late this afternoon and sent me an OK message. All is well and good here.

It's a shame how someone (myself) who has always loved the Mexican people and the culture can go from volunteering in their orphanage in Cabo to thinking the Cartel is hurting my husband and wanting revenge against the whole country and back again to having faith in the human race all in 24 hours. It's exhausting. Going back to Cabo on Dec. 31 for my birthday with my best friend, my husband, Baja Ho. :-)
backseat_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #35
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Awesome wife. Baja Ho is a lucky dude.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #36
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Awesome wife. Baja Ho is a lucky dude.
Really awesome! Good job! Even brought a tear to my eye.
Sounds like you are really giving back to Baja too. Love hearing that there is actually some GOOD in the world.

As someone else said, I'm not sure my wife would know what to do, besides increase my life insurance.
In fact I'm going to put together a tip sheet for her on how to get help from SPOT and the ADV Crew.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
My wife would never look this hard for me.....
Mine has tried harder than this to get rid of me

Glad it turned out good. I see someone getting a Sat Phone from Santa this year.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #38
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,301
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
My wife would never look this hard for me.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Mine has tried harder than this to get rid of me

Glad it turned out good. I see someone getting a Sat Phone from Santa this year.
cuz u got murriedworth more gonzo
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #39
Baja Ho OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I am Now Home and Safe

I am now home & safe. I was never in any danger, the only mishap is that I lost my Spot tracker. I keep it in the map pocket of my tank bag, that has a Velcro closure. I have used this setup on thousand mile rides with no problems, but will now add a safety pin as a backup. Evidently the the old Spanish speaking couple that found it did not know what they had and started pressing buttons. They pressed the 911 button which started a rescue scenario. This of course alerted the Spot team who alerted my wife within seconds, the American Consulate ( which got in touch with me ) and the local authorities in San Quintin. I take this very seriously as I do a few solo rides every year.

Many thanks to all that offered assistance and PMed, as my wife was in a true panic. Also thanks to Nancy at the Old Mill for use of her phone and relaying messages. I have learned an important lesson through this mishap and that is don't lose your Spot Tracker DUMMY and if you do, call the Spot Team, cancel your service and also contact whoever your Spot messages are sent to.

And a special thanks to my wonderful wife , for looking out for my safety, as she knew I was in Baja but not where in Baja. Again thanks to everyone on ADV that offered to help, what a great community this is. Dan Baja Ho
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #40
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,301
Wow, what a story.... Glad it all worked out
Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #41
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
wow, what a story.... Glad it all worked out
+1
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #42
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Wow, what a story.... Glad it all worked out
+2

Glad to have you back Dan
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #43
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Spots are for tourists.
There are many tourists.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #44
Baja Ho OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Spots are for tourists.
There are many tourists.
Really! I haven't seen to many tourists riding dirt bikes solo in the Baja backountry.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #45
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,376
I swear by my spot... I broke down at dusk about 2.5 hours from the Panamint Springs Camp Ground in Death Valley earlier this year. My spot was on, of course, and inmates from ADVrider in the camp ground were monitoring the spot tracks. Someone noticed I was not moving for over an hour and they sent 2 4-wheel drive pick-up trucks with 4 dudes to come find me. I was rescued around midnight and it was another 2.5 hours back out to the camp ground.

I'm glad your endeavor was a case of a misplaced tracker. This stresses to me the practice of taking the spot messenger from the ram mount cradle when I park the bike for any reason. I am also looking at somehow mounting it to my jacket, something like the way BigTodd has his hanging from his.