Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Schwrtz27 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Trip form South Africa to Egypt! need information PLEASE!!!

Hello everybody!!

My name is Anthony Schwartz and I'm from Atlanta, Georgia. I just graduated with a degree in Biomedical Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology in May 2010 and then set off to travel 10 months in central and south america. I am leaving shortly again to go back down to South America and then taking a flight into Cape Town from Buenos Aires, Argentina in a few months.

I have a few questions that I'm really hoping this forum can help me!

Anyhow I'm planning on purchasing a Kawasaki KLR 650 in South Africa.

1) How can I obtain a motorcycle learner's permit?

2) How long will obtaining the motorcycle learner's permit take?

3) After the learner's permit, how long will it take to obtain a license that will enable me to cross borders?

4) What would be the best way to purchase a dual sport bike in South Africa as far as websites, companies, cities, etc?

5) Are there any biker enthusiasts out there that want to join me later on this year?

I'm really looking to update this post throughout the next 2 months or so and gather as much information and help from all of you as possible. I'm really looking to take on this adventure, and any advice or comments to get this post rolling will really help me!

AND - if you are wanting to join me any any/all of my adventure, PLEASE send me a message!!!

Thanks everybody!
Anthony Schwartz
Schwrtz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwrtz27 View Post

4) What would be the best way to purchase a dual sport bike in South Africa as far as websites, companies, cities, etc?

Anthony Schwartz
Buying it would not be a problem, there are plenty of bike shops in Cape Town where you can buy new/used KLR's. There are loads of used ones for sale too...Registering it in your name will be a hurdle though.

For the lower African part of your trip you will find all you need and more by subscribing here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php

AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Schwrtz27 OP
Adventurer

Great thanks! I have read that registering the bike in my name is a bit tough..can you tell me more about it? or are you going off second hand experience?

Thanks again,
Anthony
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Just going on what is required to register a vehicle here (NEW OR USED), so I stand corrected, but I think you would at least need a study/work visa to do registration for non-citizens.

E-mail these guys and ask them: http://www.kawasakisouth.co.za or post it up on Wilddogs, they will get you an answer quick quick.

And here is the price for a KLR in South Africa:$8300 : http://www.kawasakisouth.co.za/produ...ew_bikes&id=59 ... yes our bikes are EXPENSIVE!!!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

And a year old used one for $6400.00 :

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars...AdIdZ289225352

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Schwrtz27 OP
Adventurer

I'll post a few things on Wild Dogs too and perhaps they can help me answer a lot of the questions. i'll read everything on the forum first before i post something that has already been asked.

I found a few used bikes around $5000. They are very expensive in South Africa...but The cost to ship a bike from Atlanta, Georgia is around $3000 alone if not $4000. Its crazy.

I just figured the easiest way was to purchase a bike there and then outfit it with what i wanted when I get down there.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Squire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
hello adventurer

Good to see the community of overlanders growing.

I strongly suggest you read and learn about traveling in Africa from the HUBB http://www.horizonsunlimited.com . There are a number of things you need to know like the basics of a carnet de passage en douane (CDP) or "triptik" if you prefer and related costs -- especially to enter Egypt. You also need to learn about getting a visa for each country you wish to enter. Important security updates are also posted by contributors, I mean this is basic stuff you need to be conversant with. Africa is by no mean like South America, and it very much depends on the route you wish to take. It's all there, enjoy. /C
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I planned a similar trip for myself, and I created an excel file with all the border fees, carnet reqs/fees, and visa reqs for each country. PM me your email, and I'll send it to you if you're interested.
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Schwrtz27 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post

I strongly suggest you read and learn about traveling in Africa from the HUBB http://www.horizonsunlimited.com . There are a number of things you need to know like the basics of a carnet de passage en douane (CDP) or "triptik" if you prefer and related costs -- especially to enter Egypt. You also need to learn about getting a visa for each country you wish to enter. Important security updates are also posted by contributors, I mean this is basic stuff you need to be conversant with. Africa is by no mean like South America, and it very much depends on the route you wish to take. It's all there, enjoy. /C
Thanks for the link! I always read as much as I can about the countries before entering any of them. The US State Department is also a great resource for travel warnings for specific counties as well as country specific information for all countries. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_1764.html

I'll check out that website now and see what kinda information I can pull up in the next few hours!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Schwrtz27 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post

Also, from what I have read...it is cheaper for me to purchase a carnet while in South Africa and do all the paper work while I'm there, as the bike will be registered in South Africa as well. What other paperworks were you talking about that I should do in the USA that I cannot do in South Africa? I'm a Dutch and US passport holder...so that will help me get into Sudan for example should I want to enter, as US passport holders cannot get in.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
Maximum Hastings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
hello

We have just done it ... www.bigbiketrip.net and www.facebook.com/bigbiketrip
Maximum Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
Schwrtz27 OP
Adventurer

Hello all! For what its worth, I've just completed the 31000km+ trip from Capetown into the northern reaches of Uganda and back down again. i'll compile a summary of the journy and lessons learned as a new rider and experienced traveler in the coming days.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwrtz27 View Post
Hello all! For what its worth, I've just completed the 31000km+ trip from Capetown into the northern reaches of Uganda and back down again. i'll compile a summary of the journy and lessons learned as a new rider and experienced traveler in the coming days.

This should be interesting....