Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Roughseas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Help! Just bought a crashed R1200GSA

Just picked up a crashed 2011 R1200GSA for a friend. Bike has done 500kms on the odo and barring the accident damage seems to be in pretty good shape.

The right magnesium cover has disintegrated and the cam holder has slight damage at the edges but does not seem stressed. The front bodywork is totally smashed but that is not my immediate concern as I want to see if the bike cranks first. I've tried turning the engine by rotating the real wheel and the bike in gear and it rotates freely (i think :) ).

Since the lcd has cracked I don't see the error messages showing up when I try to crank the engine with the starter. I had to scavenge the ignition kill and the starter switch from the switch housing in order to try this.

On switching the ignition key on I get the yellow caution sign for a few seconds followed by the red caution sign and then the steady ABS warning sign which stays on. If I press the ignition kill microswitch, all warnings disappear but nothing happens if I press the starter button. Without depressing the kill switch, if I press the starter button, I get a loud knock from the starter motor. I've tried a fully charged battery but same results. BTW side stand switch looks ok and I get a Neutral indication on the dash but after a few tries the neutral light goes away.

The clutch and brake master cylinders are cracked and the brake lever microswitch is missing. Can the lack of oil in the clutch or brake system inhibit the starter motor from engaging?

I've tried cranking the motor with the crankshaft at different positions but all I get is a loud knock from the starter and no movement.

Any pointers anyone? I've ordered a replacement brake master cylinder with the right side switches and a new meter so should at-least get some insight into the alarm messages. Will try purging the clutch today and see if it helps.. What oil goes in there, mineral or brake fluid?

Roughseas screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 01:59 AM
Roughseas is offline   Reply With Quote