User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #181
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Enjoying the Ride

I look forward to receiving notifications that you have updated your ride report and am never disappointed by them. Your photo illustrations and succinct, sometimes humorous, commentary and insights make this an enthralling trip to follow.

Please keep it coming; and ride safe.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #182
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
@Tom: yeah, at the moment of this writing we are out of Mexico and even though I recognize that it might not be the same for everyone, for us Mexico was just very nice and full of nice people that left us a with a wonderful impression. Writing the ride reports for those parts of the trip makes me think that I would go there again, someday, somehow.

@Julio: hehe, well you ar not that far from the border, and now, thanks to my very forgetful brain, you added a few friends on both sides of the border (in Bisbee and in Sonora :P). So things are possible :)

@duncanmac: thank you for following. I hope the story will not get boring. As I am not a writer, but an IT guy, sometimes I am thinking that I am repetitive... you know like writing code...
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #183
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,525
where are you guys now? i'm in Antigua for another week when you get here PM me
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #184
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
where are you guys now? i'm in Antigua for another week when you get here PM me
Hi Paul,

We are in San Pedro la Laguna for now. We need to be tomorrow in Ciudad de Guatemala for some bike work but then we might round back to Antigua for 1 night as we want to meet as weel. I'll drop you a message!

Alex
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #185
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjinSan View Post
@duncanmac: thank you for following. I hope the story will not get boring. As I am not a writer, but an IT guy, sometimes I am thinking that I am repetitive... you know like writing code...
My arse you're not a writer!
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #186
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 777
Alex, I quoted you over in the "Is Mexico Safe" thread. Thanks for being a great ambassador for Mexico. I'm sure you will find many great folks as you continue south. Lynn and I will be following along via your reports

Abrazos!
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #187
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Alex, I quoted you over in the "Is Mexico Safe" thread. Thanks for being a great ambassador for Mexico. I'm sure you will find many great folks as you continue south. Lynn and I will be following along via your reports

Abrazos!
I gotta find that thread.If our government keeps beating on it's citizens,I'm packing my trash and heading south.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #188
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

@ben2go: here you are... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...46927&page=731 In my opinion the thread is quite "diluted" with all sort of info more or less to the subject but it helped us decide to go South.

And since here it's night... let's have some fun with a short image-story called "Finding a place to sleep" :

Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #189
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
@ben2go: here you are... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...46927&page=731 In my opinion the thread is quite "diluted" with all sort of info more or less to the subject but it helped us decide to go South.

And since here it's night... let's have some fun with a short image-story called "Finding a place to sleep" :

Thanks.It looks you found a good place to stay.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #190
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Earthquake in the ocean off the coast near the Mexico - Guatemala border. Did you feel it?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #191
wegimex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
7.5 earthquake. Did not feel anything in Mexico City though !
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #192
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi guys! Thanks for the concerns! Yes we felt it quite strong here in Guatemala City. But I think it was accentuated because we were inside and also we are not used to earthquakes. I think here was felt like less than 4 even 3 maybe...
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #193
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Thanks for reporting in. We are glad you had no problems and you are safe. We need you healthy to keep your RR going.

Abrazos
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #194
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Hi guys! Thanks for the concerns! Yes we felt it quite strong here in Guatemala City. But I think it was accentuated because we were inside and also we are not used to earthquakes. I think here was felt like less than 4 even 3 maybe...
A quick look at the news indicates that 48 people were killed from that earthquake. We had a 4.6 quake here last month and it scared the hell out of me. I initially thought it was a car bomb.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #195
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
A quick look at the news indicates that 48 people were killed from that earthquake. We had a 4.6 quake here last month and it scared the hell out of me. I initially thought it was a car bomb.
Yes, last night we found out more news as well and it turns out that the earthquake was much more serious in parts closer to the epicenter. Sadly people died and also there was a lot of destruction.
We were fortunate enough to be far enough from the center and also people here in the city are very used to this and as long as there is no damage (people or buildings) they really don't care. I mean 10 minutes after the quake it was life as usual and that helped us a bit to not linger in the quake feeling (for me was the biggest in my life).

I was discussing yesterday with Paul (rtwpaul) in Antigua and he said something similar that people there just went outside, waited it out and that was it, back to normal. No panic no nothing. So that was good.