Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #16
BlackHoof
REMF

Oddometer: 244
Brush Guards

Bcostel,

I really like the look of those Acerbis guards, who did the machine work for those spacers, & was it expensive? Were the spacers needed to use the non stock heated grips? It looks like Touratech makes an adaptor to use with the stock heated grips but the price of admission is steep. Thanks for any info.
BlackHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #17
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
My main goal was to install better hand/lever protection that stock. The challenge is the BMW heated grips - which have the wire internal to the bar. TT take their approach which retains the BMW grips. A couple of flaws with their approach - the stock grips have, I understand, a longevity problem, secondly the bar end fixing they use is machined to avoid the wires - so installation is key and you'll have to be carefull if you rotate the controls.

My approach also has flaws.

I selected Hotgrips as they seem to have a reputation for reliability plus the wiring is external and robust. Now, external wiring is also a potential weekeness - you choose. You can order the grips with the ends bored out so end weights or hand guards can be fitted. They can also be ordered in different lengths.

I ordered some 7/8" stainless stock off of ebay and came up with a design for a freind to machine up. I can't tell you how much they would cost to make - a pair would take a couple of hours....I had 3 sets made so it was a bit longer.

If you skipped the little peg on the end of the adapter which mimics the acerbis part, then machining would be much faster - I just wanted max strength/fit/asthetics. You can also just use washers as a spacer if you want to forego the machining - I'm anal! But whatever you do, with these particular guards you need a spacer to avoid the levers. You will probably need to order longer end bolts - I purchased some 100mm stainless CSK screws which are perfect.

Btw, the lump of stainless takes 99% of buzzing out of the grips - the carbs are well balanced but there's always something....so this, for long distance is a great bonus.
bcostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #18
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcostell
My main goal was to install better hand/lever protection that stock. The challenge is the BMW heated grips - which have the wire internal to the bar.
Wow, I tried to fit (knock-off copies of) Bark Busters to mine, but
they fouled the dash ... have you got really big bar pullbacks or
something, or did I just stuff it up entirely?

My bike has thin element heated grips, basically a pair of plastic
elements which get glued to the bar and throttle tube under the
grips, they work great. All wiring is external, so you've got to be careful to protect it though.

-----sharks
sharkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #19
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I have BB's that raise and pull back by about an inch and a half in both directions - but that was for ergonomics rather than handguard fit. The guards don't fouls on anything - or even close - with a stock screen.

On my other bikes where I have Parabellums fitted then they foul - I loose a bit of steering lock - but a stock bike without BB's and Acerbis foul with a parabellum anyway.
bcostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #20
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,170
Here is a pic of the rear frame section of my R100 G/S 1984 model frame. Modified drive shaft, standard frame section.

Another pic of frame strengthening around shock area.

Frame strengthening.

I also use Barkbusters, no problems on the earlier G/S, but I know mates fitting Barkbusters to GS have used bar raisers to fit.

Mick
Old 11-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #21
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
WOW! That thing is beautiful. How about a little write-up on all the mods. I'm all eyes.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #22
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,170
I will get something together for you in the next few days.