Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
zano874
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Pretty amazing to think when the real Belstaff was in the US from 97 until about 02 a Trialmaster waxed cotton jacket was less than $250 retail.

Great looking jacket, but they are very hot in the summer & very thin for use in the winter. The cut does not allow layering, unless you order it in a really big size.

It is a mostly waterproof, but does not compare with modern textiles

They also stink like hell with they get hot, the wax combined with your funk will have you smelling like a horse.

The J. Crew version looks like is has been pushed to the fashion side of things, it looks less heavy duty and even more closely tailored. (they got the plaid the wrong color too)

Mine is way cool. It is the perfect jacket for 50-65 degree days when it might mist a little. Trouble is we do not get many of those around here.
Supposedly they've updated the characteristics to address some of the things you've mentioned. I've also heard the old ones run on your clothes and feel oily. A rep from BMG is on this thread maybe he'll reply back with a better explanation. He also commented on the line fashion verson. These new ones are also armored. I'm not sure about the OG ones. The armor is also removable.
2012 Ducati 1100 evo
zano874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by zano874 View Post
A rep from BMG is on this thread maybe he'll reply back with a better explanation.
He and I do not see things the same way. We have not had very good conversations in the past.

Yes they can leak oil/wax onto your other clothes & will make a greasy jacketprint on anything you lean against on a hot day.

Still they look damn good dirty & dusty....very authentic.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
Dantegod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
If you get a chance check out the Tourist Trophy Jackets at any of the International Motorcycle Shows this year. They have changed a lot and the Italians have done the Belstaff Brand Proud with the Pure Motorcycle Line.

The Fashion line is for Fashion.. The Pure Motorcycle line is made for riding..

Paul
www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com
Dantegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #19
zano874
Adventurer

Happy TT owner here. It looks great on and off the bike.
2012 Ducati 1100 evo
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
Dantegod
Gnarly Adventurer

Belstaff Jackets.. Pure Motorcycle Line..

We just put up some of the new Belstaff line for 2013 on our web site. www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com

We hope to have them in stock in November so we can show them at all the IMS show. The new video with Ewan McGregor shot at Goodwood is also on our web site.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Dantegod
Gnarly Adventurer

Belstaff Oulton Park

This is made of Full Grain Horse Leather..

Paul
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
Dantegod
Gnarly Adventurer

Belstaff Jackets for 2013

The Belstaff Ballig Jacket features light weight ballistic fabric on shoulders, elbows, waist band, cuffs, neck collar and center front band. Mesh on body and sleeves. Corduroy on inside neck collar, cuffs and waistband. CE removable soft protectors on shoulders and elbows.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #23
doc moses
fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer: 68
from Mr. Waxed Cotton:

My two shillings worth: The Belstaff is a nice fashion statement, but the fit is horribly undersized; and with larger chest sizes come silly long sleeves. And compared to a Barbour it is horribly overpiced as well.

I would so highly advise the Barbour for everyday wear and occasional riding. It is still made in GB, it is made from a quality waxed cotton formula, and the fit is proper, especially in the larger sizes.

If you want to ride in waxed cotton (as I do on most every ride) consider the Aerostich Falstaff. It is a heavier fabric than the Belstaffs and zips more tightly (waterproof) than either jacket AND it comes with pads. For long rides or wet rides the Aerostich is far and away the best.

Summary: Fashionistas: go with the Italian Belstaffs. Real riders: Barbour or Aerostich.

Cheers. Doc
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
Dantegod
Gnarly Adventurer

CHeck out the Belstaff PURE Motorcycle Line..

Sounds like you need to look at the Belstaff Pure Motorcle Line... Not the fashion line ( get out of Barney's and stop by an IMS show).. We took the Barbour Iternational Jacket to all the International Motorcycle Shows for the last 3 years as well at the New Belstaff Tourist Trophy Jakcet ( Pure Moto not Fashion).. Belstaff outsold Barbour 20 too 1.. Belstaff is Heavier, Armoured and close to the same price if you add the liner to the Barbour and some Armour.. I love my Barbour Jacket but the Belstaff is in another league all together for protection, attention to detail, Fit Etc Etc. The Pure Motorcycle Line is cut to fit great... the fashion line is for those avoiding Beer and dounuts.

Paul
British Motorcycle Gear
Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
doc moses
fearlessly flatulent

Paul/Dante:

There is nothing wrong with a little salespersonship but I do think that claiming pricing equity based on adding armor and whatever else to the Barbour is a bit unrealistic. The Barbour (without armor) is just not going to be the road jacket the motorcycle specifc Belstaff model is. They are obviously not made for the same market/use. What is the name of the company who writes your paycheck?

Most importantly, and more to my point: You did not mention the Aerostich, I am not sure where it prices against the Belstaff but it is heavier, armored, and draws tighter in a much more comfortable manner than does the Belstaff. Which summarizes to dryness and more comfort for riders in real road conditions. In my considerable wet weather experience it is the better jacket. I would be interested in your opinion (as a motivated seller) as to how the Belstaff stands against the Aerostich Falstaff.

Now if I may ask, are the Belstaff motorcycle specific jacket products made in Italy as are the fashion oriented jackets?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
Dantegod
Gnarly Adventurer

Belstaff

I have not had anyone write me a Pay check since 1988 when I worked for Berkshire Hathaway in Manhattan at that time Warren Buffet signed my Paycheck.

The Belstaff Pure Motorcycle Jacket is made in Italy.. The Italians have quite a reputation fro producing well made cloths that fit very well. The Belstaff Tourist Trophy Jacket tapers in very nicely and fits well with or without the belt and is cut to fit a Motorcyclist .. Italy makes a few motorcycles as well as Moto GP champions so none of this is new to them..

Belstaff and Barbour both make these wonderful historic Jackets.. Belstaff still sells it as a Motorcycle Jacket so it has to meet current PPE and CE codes.. Barbour sells it as a Historic Jacket so it does not need to meet the current standards.

As far as Price.. Barbour International Jacket New MAP price is $449 the liner is $98.. Total $547..

Belstaff is at $595 with new 3do Armour.. So for $48 you get Italian Manufacturing and finishing work, which most people seem to prefer and Real Armour made for today's world and the new PPE and CE standards of Protection.

I stil love my Barbour Jacket and we sell these as well if you are worried about my pay check..but the Belstaff is simply a better made more protective garment.. Come on out to the IMS show and do a side by side comparison for yourself.

I am not sure where AeroStitch comes into this.. This is a historic Jacket that is why people want them! History..Tradition and all that.. I don't recall Aerostitch being part of this history.. There are much more protective modern material out there that will take a high speed slide better.. Like Stretch Kevlar 1800 cycles to failure on pavement used by Wayne at MotoPort or 1000 Denier Cordura used by Belstaff and Rukka to name a few 1780 cycles to failure on pavement.. None of these people write me a pay check either.

Paul
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
doc moses
fearlessly flatulent

Aerostich

Paul, the Aero came "into it" at the bottom of my first post when I suggested that it was superior to the Belstaff. You avoided comment on it originally. I do wish to thank you for your comment on the Aero jacket. I will of course grant that Aero was not a player in the old days. And of course there are jackets made which perform vastly superior to all the waxed cotton jackets on the market. But do understand that people still buy waxed cotton for its performance and the Aero is a more comfortable and more waterproof jacket than either of the lines you sell/promote.

I mentioned your paycheck to allow you to comment and affirm that you have a profit motivation in the jackets. Your little tizzy fit in regards to your paycheck was an entertaining tangent by the way. You see Paul, when folks understand that you have a profit motivation they can make a call in regards to the veracity of your comments. This of course does not mean that anyone would infer that you would be dishonest, but buyer beware and all that.

I mentioned the place of manufacture of the modern Belstaffs to allow you to affirm that they are indeed made in Italy. I thought you would have more of a stumle explaining or spinning it. You did well. I thought your defense of the Italian made jackets would be creative and interesting. Paul, you did not let me down in that regard.

Motorcycle shows: good luck with those and what an interesting pattern of inclusion of the shows in your comments. Are you part of promoting those shows as well? If not Paul then perhaps you might wish to consider that a hugely overwhelming majority of the ridres in the country do not find the shows a valuable use of their time. Do understand that many riders would rather ride than attend the show, Paul, although I understand they (the shows) are very informative and a great showcase of whats new in the motorcycle world. From your comments you do seem to sell much in the way of product at the shows.

You worked for Warren Buffett? And now you're selling motorcycle gear? Congrats, Hopefully you're able to take some of what you learned from Buffett (is that one or two 't's?) and build several empires to compliment your huge motorcycle gear company which you promote on a site which must serve as quite a valuable use of your time!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #28
zano874
Adventurer

2yr TT owner chiming in.

Here's what I want to know. Paul, will you be offering a show discount?

Entertaining thread btw.
2012 Ducati 1100 evo
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
Dantegod
Gnarly Adventurer

Belstaff Tourist Trophy Jacket

The new prices are quite a bit higher.. We will be selling them at a show discount at all the IMS shows. The new price on the TT Jacket is $850 and the Mojave is $795.. The show price will be quite a bit lower..

Paul Brooks
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #30
zano874
Adventurer

I just noticed the price increase on the TT. I think I paid $595 2yrs ago.

I've got my eye on the waxed version of the Mojave which is currently selling on your site for $595. You're quoting much higher prices. Have you not updated the site or something????
2012 Ducati 1100 evo