Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #46
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Nice trike. Not all projects need a purpose. Here's one I did recently.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one that in mid-project realizes that the project is practically useless haha. That wagon looks sharp. reminds me of an old T-bucket rod.

Anyone looking at this page should also check out Good Spark Garage these guys are awesome and have some sweet bikes. They helped me with the stickers that will be going on the bike.

Iron_HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #47
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Got some more stuff done today since it's fall break. I used a break to bend the heel guards. I stripped down the frame and finished all the welding and grinding. I am now looking to either sand blast it myself or pay someone. Since this is a budget build (more out of necessity than desire) I will probably do it myself. I started building a brake light and license plate bracket that I'm not so happy with but I think it will work. I cut the kick stand off so I will only use my center stand. Sparkymoto did it and the bike looks so good with a vertical stance. More pics to come. Sand blasting, priming, and painting the frame is very close and I'm getting those butterflies again.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #48
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Suzuki seriously wanted you to remove the entire exhaust system to get the back axle out.
I have a 1980 and theres no need to pull the exhaust. If you remove the rear shocks you car raise the swingarm high enough that the axle bolt can come out over the musfflers.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #49
Nasty20
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Build Questions

I really like what you've done, I have the same bike and have a couple quick questions for ya: What kind of wheels are those and where did you get them? Also, are those aftermarket handlebars or the originals turned down? Thanks!
Nasty20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #50
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

The project is coming along well. My funding has came to a halt for the moment so I can't get the frame powdercoated quite yet. It will be soon. This summer the bike WILL be complete. I've had several questions regarding the wheels.. These wheels came with the bike. I did not purchase them seperatly. The spoked wheels are kinda rare on these bikes and I'm super lucky to have them. Thanks again guys. Happy Riding

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #51
Spikus
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Tire size?

Dude, I love your bike build, especially those tires! I have a 79 GS425 (with spoke wheels) that I'm also turning into a cafe racer, and I want slightly wider tires than stock on both the front and back. It looks like that's what you've done with yours. Can you tell me what size they are? After I saw this, I researched those Shinko 712s, and they got rave reviews basically everywhere!

Once you tell me the sizes of yours, I'm buying a pair!

Thanks, Scott
Spikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #52
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikus View Post
Dude, I love your bike build, especially those tires! I have a 79 GS425 (with spoke wheels) that I'm also turning into a cafe racer, and I want slightly wider tires than stock on both the front and back. It looks like that's what you've done with yours. Can you tell me what size they are? After I saw this, I researched those Shinko 712s, and they got rave reviews basically everywhere!

Once you tell me the sizes of yours, I'm buying a pair!

Thanks, Scott
Thanks Scott I appreciate it! Sorry it's been a while since your post but to answer your questions my tire size is as listed:

Front: 100/90-19

Rear: 130/90-17

The rear is a tad wide but should work and if it doesn't... I'll change things. That's what I love about building this bike, if it doesn't work.... fix it.

Powdercoating should be done soon on the frame. I can't wait to start putting this bike back together.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #53
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 628
A "tubbed" Radio Flyer!!!

COOL!

Now it just needs some "big n littles" to get some rake to it.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #54
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Well today I got a few quotes for powdercoating. Places around here are quoting $200 - $250 for sandblasting and powdercoating it satin. Right now I shouldn't be spending that money right now. I'm gonna keep trying to find someone to do it for around $100. I don't know how likely it is.

But I did get some progress going today. I some time away from school and decided to work on the tank. I stripped it all down to bare metal. The whole plan up to this point was to would paint the tank burnt orange. Not anymore... I changed plans to keeping the tank stripped and painting the cowl and fiberglass black. Here's some pictures to keep this thread going

After wire brushing:

Now after some sanding:

Decided to try my hand in pinstriping. I think it looks terrible but it adds to the "vintage" look of the bike. To add to the budget build the pinstripe was done with black $2.13 nail polish. The paint did great other than the fact I used the brush that came with the nail polish kit. To be honest I kind just liked using the brush just for the fact that it adds to the "homemade" build. The girl at Target asked if the nail polish was for me, answered well of course and explained to her I was going to try my hand at pinstriping my motorcycle with it. She laughed and stated that she had never seen a guy so happy to buy nail polish.

Hope yall like the looks of it. Overall I am very happy with it. I will be clear coating it tomorrow. I'm happy how the bike has changed to this new look. Thanks again for keep looking! and as always let me know what ya think

Iron_HawK screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 08:31 PM
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #55
M Bouthillette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Subscribed !

This is a great project, it inspires me to try my hand at doing the same. Maybe not now, but I'm definitely looking into this for the coming years. Keep up the good work and thank you for feeding this thread.
M Bouthillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #56
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bouthillette View Post
Subscribed !

This is a great project, it inspires me to try my hand at doing the same. Maybe not now, but I'm definitely looking into this for the coming years. Keep up the good work and thank you for feeding this thread.
Thank you! It just takes time. You can do it without spending lots of money and still come up with a nice "custom" bike. What I'm really going for is "barn built". To all it's own but I enjoy seeing what people can do with what they have.

Okay The bike is going back together... Task #1 is to ride it. I have not powdercoated the frame. Under persuasion of LooseNut I believe I am going to paint the bike... I hate doing things not "right" the first time but painting the bike will keep it under budget. As of this point I have about $275 in the whole bike. If I powdercoat it, it will nearly double the total I've spent on it. With this in mind and some short convincing my next step is to get the bike going to where I can ride it. So It's all going back together. Over the next few months I should be very active on getting this bike together. More pictures soon to come

Iron_HawK screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 06:17 AM
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #57
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

More pictures of this morning's progress before I have to run to school... The motor is a bear to put in yourself but I have the technique down so when it goes together finally I will have it down pat. I'll be wiring it all up soon and hopefully having a video of it running for the first time. Hope yall like what ya see!

I love what is going on here and can't wait to get it running and get the fiberglass work done!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #58
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 229
130 tire..

The Shinko 130 tire fits on the rear.. Just mounted up one on my Wife's '82. If you're using the stock chainguard, you'll have to make sure it's straight as an arrow and just give it a little clearance where the crown comes very close to it. Nice build!

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
The Shinko 130 tire fits on the rear.. Just mounted up one on my Wife's '82. If you're using the stock chainguard, you'll have to make sure it's straight as an arrow and just give it a little clearance where the crown comes very close to it. Nice build!
Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm not planning on using the stock chain guard. That's the magic of this rebuild is that if something doesn't fit I'll just fabricate my own clearances. How's your wife like her GS?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #60
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,163
Keep going.

I had a shaft drive 450 suzuki automatic years back. It was a great bike.

I'd like to see the finished product.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 08:44 PM
bmwhacker is online now   Reply With Quote