Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 912
Man oh Man you are killing me, that looks Awesome, great pic's... I need to get out more...
Thanks for taking the time...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!!!
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for the RR

Copper Canyon just moved up a few spots on the Bucket List after reading your RR. Thanks for posting

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 212
Great pictures. I was a week ahead of you, and did a similar route. Saved potential ticket though, just carried on from Montezuma via Sahuaripa straight south to Yecora.
If you do this route again, take the turnoff just past Basaseachic, great road direct to San Juanito and you get to see the falls too.

Camping is good at Villa Mexicana as well ($10), but it does get cool overnight. Supposedly, they will be working on the road down to Batopilas for the next four years., so the route you planned via Guachochic and Yoquivo is the right one. Road is paved halfway to Yoquivo (and it is currently being extended) Rest of the way is good as long as there hasn't been any rain.

The other route, Samachique to Batopilas is much rougher and definitely impassable after rain.

Really enjoyed your write-up and the pictures.
beemer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #19
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer67 View Post
Great pictures. I was a week ahead of you, and did a similar route. Saved potential ticket though, just carried on from Montezuma via Sahuaripa straight south to Yecora.
If you do this route again, take the turnoff just past Basaseachic, great road direct to San Juanito and you get to see the falls too.
I considered those routes, but I really wanted to ride as much of MEX-16 as possible this trip. I think next time I may try both of your suggestions either on the way down or the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer67 View Post
Camping is good at Villa Mexicana as well ($10), but it does get cool overnight. Supposedly, they will be working on the road down to Batopilas for the next four years., so the route you planned via Guachochic and Yoquivo is the right one. Road is paved halfway to Yoquivo (and it is currently being extended) Rest of the way is good as long as there hasn't been any rain.

The other route, Samachique to Batopilas is much rougher and definitely impassable after rain.

Really enjoyed your write-up and the pictures.
"A little cool overnight" if you're from Fish Limb, B.C., for the rest of us its damn cold, and I'm from Maine.

Thanks for the road info. I keep hearing that those roads are pretty rough after a rain.

Looking forward to getting back down there again sometime and doing more exploring.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
CeeBee
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
When I got up Wednesday morning and looked out the front door of the cabin I realized I had made a good decision not to camp at the lake. The layer of ice on my bike indicated that it had obviously gotten pretty cold overnight.

I wasn’t too surprised by the cold considering the elevation
Yes, It was a nice place and I can relate to the cool in the a.m. - You did alot in three days! definitely worth a trip back to see all thats there. Great report! Thanks for posting
Later, Chuck

CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,175
Great report and great information kobukan, we will be heading there in the next few days

Thank you for your effort.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,371
Great images man!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Great report and great information kobukan, we will be heading there in the next few days

Thank you for your effort.
Awesome journey you guys have going there!

Enjoy your ride across MEX-16. It's a fantastic road, but there is not much along the way other than mountains - plan accordingly. From Hermosillo the first fuel is in Tecoripa at about 120 km's, then in Yecora about 150 km's beyond Tecoripa, and then in Tomochi about 190 km's beyond Yecora. After that it's only about 105 km's to San Juanito - plenty of fuel there and in Creel.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Awesome journey you guys have going there!

Enjoy your ride across MEX-16. It's a fantastic road, but there is not much along the way other than mountains - plan accordingly. From Hermosillo the first fuel is in Tecoripa at about 120 km's, then in Yecora about 150 km's beyond Tecoripa, and then in Tomochi about 190 km's beyond Yecora. After that it's only about 105 km's to San Juanito - plenty of fuel there and in Creel.
Thanks mate, we have 30 L tanks so good to go there, just looked at the map at 16 and so on, this is exactly where we had planned to go so with your info and pics your timing could not have been better.

I have one question if I may, not sure if I missed the info as my head is full of new input on Mexico, my understanding is we can't get through to Batopilas?, we will come in from the top at Creel so would be looking to head out through the south if possible or we committed to an in and back out to Creel?.

Sorry if I missed this part, please let us know would be great.

Many thanks Andi
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
I have one question if I may, not sure if I missed the info as my head is full of new input on Mexico, my understanding is we can't get through to Batopilas?, we will come in from the top at Creel so would be looking to head out through the south if possible or we committed to an in and back out to Creel?
They're in the process of paving the old main route to Batopilas and it was not passable when I was there. Paving is expected to take another four years to reach Batopilas.

The best route to Batopilas currently is from Creel to Guachochi, then on through Yoquivo to Batopilas. There is another route to the east, but I have heard it is pretty rough and I haven't heard of many people trying it. One of the locals I spoke with told me there was only one way to Batopilas - through Guachochi and Yoquivo.

As far as I know you'll have to ride back out to Guachochi from Batopilas. There may be some other route south from Batopilas, but I really don't know as I wasn't planning to head that way - may be not much more than jeep trails.

Here are some links to posts on the road conditions: Link, Link, Link

Good luck & safe travels
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 11-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good to see you singing the praises of Mex 16. Sorry you didn't get to see Batopilas. You know ... it's 4000 ft lower than Creel? Usually a 20F temp difference. Well, next time!

For the Kiwis,
there are at least two routes to Batopilas coming in from the West off Mex Highway 15. You can find your way from Alamos, a few miles EAST off Mex 15. I don't know it, but have heard it's possible. Folks in Alamos may know more.

A more common way is via El Fuerte. Take Mex 1 off Mex 15.
From El Fuerte, you head to Choix. Ask along the way. Lots of info here on ADV on these routes. I did the Choix route ... but followed someone .. so never had to think! (nice!) There were a few turns but relatively simple and the locals mostly all know the route to Batopilas. Should be fairly dry now, so a good time to go. In heavy rains the water crossings are challenging. I went in October. Rain picks up by mid/late November or December.

If you ever go down again ... another interesting option from Creel is to head South towards Higalgo de Parrall. When you intersect Mex 24, go WEST, not EAST.

There is a NEW road built from the previous end of pavement, which used to be at Guadalupe y Calvo. Most maps will show end of road here.

But NOW there is a paved road all the way to the coast to near Culiacan.
I rode this route before it was paved. (2006) It was a bit challenging. We were on BIG bikes. (GS, Vstrom, Tiger)

It's nearly as remote as the CC area, but more Ranchos and small villages. Lots of Pot growing there too ... so if you're there in the season, don't go snooping. The folks we met along the way were super friendly ... but there has been trouble in that area. Super diverse as you cross several mountain ranges (Sierra Tarahumaru) as you go from 1000 ft. up to 7000 ft and back down several times.

I guess a few of stayed at this joint! I only was there one night ... moved over to my buddy Eduardo's new place. Cheaper, nicer:

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 12:42 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Good info ADV Grifter - thanks!

I actually have a gps track for the route through Choix to El Fuerte, but its a track I downloaded off the net somewhere and had no way of knowing if it was any good or how rough the route might be. I may try going that way next time I'm headed to Baja - would probably be much more interesting than slabbing across AZ on I-8 to Mexicali. Ferry across to La Paz and ride north through Baja.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Right on!
Going via Baja is really much better if you have the extra time. I've gone both ways ... and last time went Baja coming down and going home.
There are two Ferries in La Paz, one to Mazatlan and the other to Topolobambo. The Topo one puts you within spitting distance of El Fuerte. Many go this way, and guys on GS's and Vstroms have done it, so a dual sport can make it no problem.

Or ... if you want to ride Mex 16 again, you can simply jump on Mex 15 for a few miles North up to Ciudad Obregon. Just out of town, at Esparanza, turn North East on 117 which leads you to Mex 12. Mex 12 intersects Mex 16 (where you found the Army check points). From there, you know the way ... but as suggested, next time take the dirt cut off over to Creel and save about an hour or so.

Glad to hear the DR was flawless. Good prep and good maintenance always pay off riding in Mexico. Nothing left to chance!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,676
going through Hermosillo always sucked for me. been through alot of mexican cities but for some reason that one was a cluster fuck. maybe it was just my mindset after traveling alot of open road just before getting there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Thanks for your ride report kobukan, we have successfully done that part of the trip, I was lucky enough to get down to Batopilas via Yoquivo from Guachochi, it was great and great weather too.

Don't think it would be a god road to try in the wet unless on a small bike with new knobblies.

Again thanks for your help, combined with you info and our info I posted that up in the Latin American section to help others.