Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #46
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post
Nah, he's Catalan! As you know from your visits and my girth, we take our food seriously!
Hi Jorge

Had a listen to my mystery noise over on GSpot yet?

Mike
Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #47
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
Hey MikeO... Still loving this thread but could you post less pics in one reply and post more replys instead? I'm having a hard time loading the page and scrolling down due to the number of pics you're putting in one reply.

Ride Safe,

Loutre - Tom
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #48
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Hey MikeO... Still loving this thread but could you post less pics in one reply and post more replys instead? I'm having a hard time loading the page and scrolling down due to the number of pics you're putting in one reply.

Ride Safe,

Loutre - Tom
No
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #49
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
No
Then ride safe,

I'm out
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #50
Manuel1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Hi Mike,

should you be around central Spain next sunday (Gredos or Guadarrama Mountain Range, etc), it would be a pleasure to have some cups of coffee with you...if you do not mind to ride with a Guzzi Breva 1200

And you translated very well the road sign: it means "CAUTION, BAD SURFACE"

Ride Safe and be aware of "Lorenzo wannabees" riders in Spain this weekend: final round of MOTOGP in Valencia Track!!

Manuel
Manuel1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #51
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel1200 View Post
Hi Mike,

should you be around central Spain next sunday (Gredos or Guadarrama Mountain Range, etc), it would be a pleasure to have some cups of coffee with you...if you do not mind to ride with a Guzzi Breva 1200

And you translated very well the road sign: it means "CAUTION, BAD SURFACE"

Ride Safe and be aware of "Lorenzo wannabees" riders in Spain this weekend: final round of MOTOGP in Valencia Track!!

Manuel
Hi Manuel,

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm starting the long haul home in the morning and will be well into France by Sunday.

Mike
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #52
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Laugh

More pics, less chit chat....

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #53
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,824
Great report Mike.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #54
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

8th November 2012

I checked the weather forecast last night - it didn't make good reading. If you wanted to head for good weather, then Granada was not the place to start. No problem - the local weather is meant to be fair, so I extend my stay for 24hrs and decide to do a local loop. It will be nice to ride the Adv relatively lightweight for a change...

I take the lift down to the basement and put the tank bag on the bike - I'm leaving most of the other stuff in the room, so the panniers are nearly empty. I ride out of the garage and fill up at the Carrefour service station next door. I'm out on the road heading north at about 0925...

I've programmed a loop of about 100 miles around the national parks north of Granada. Bettie steers me on the dual carriageway away from the city then turns me north...

It's obvious from the cloud I can see that I am in for a mixed bag of weather today...

There's a tiny white church right at the top of this rock...

I pass what I assume is the soccer stadium on my left...

I'm on more minor roads now - there was some kind of secure facility - military, probably, on the right - with guard towers...

...at the corners.

I'm now on a well-surfaced and fast road -similar to the N322 the other day. As it climbs into the mountains, a 'crawler lane' forms to the right...

...to allow traffic to pass slow movers. Interestingly, though, there is a minimum speed limit of 70kph in the overtaking lane.

I'm soon in hill country and seeing the familiar geometric patterns of olive groves. It has rained quite heavily here, and the road is just drying out...

I turn off and enter several miles of twisty roads, much narrower than the one I've left, but well surfaced and marked...

The Adv's going well, so I get a bit of a shuffle on...

The hilltop town of Montefrio appears...

I ride down its tiny narrow cobbled streets...

...which have a single central gutter...

I take a couple of pics of the churches...

...and then blindly follow Bettie's directions and end up descending a slope I can only describe as terrifying. It was probably nothing - I tried taking pictures, but they don't portray the white knuckles I had descending to the main road at the bottom...

I get my breath back and take a few pictures of the rock formations at the base of the hill...

Moving on, I notice I'm going through an area of rather affluent looking housing...

Anyone have any idea what this might be, built in the front garden, though?

I wondered if it might be a bread oven or something - it just seemed a strange place to put it...

Do you think the owner of this house might just be in the olive oil business?

It's very pretty up in the hills...

The roads are in good shape and pretty much empty.

There is a habit of building cemeteries up high, so that ancestors have a good view for eternity...

This is their view - not bad, eh?

Onward!

I expect it's the gardener's weekend off...

I found this little gem...

...hidden away in the centre of quite a modest little town.

Odd ruined towers dot hilltops throughout the area...

I ride on, and am beginning to feel a little peckish...

...and decide to stop at the next cafe/bar I see...

...but nothing turns up for a while...

...so I keep riding and snapping away...

At last - and at almost exactly at the halfway mark...

...I come across this roadhouse and have the house special, which today is:

Scrambled eggs with green beans and chorizo - which tasted a LOT better than it looked

...to start.

Whilst I am waiting for my main course to arrive, the heavens open...

It's pouring down. I decide to take my time over lunch...

The second course turns up:

...some kind of flatfish pan-fried in olive oil. Delicious...

I should point out that nobody at the restaurant spoke English, and my Spanish is dormant, so I had no idea what I was ordering. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise...

The rain abates, but I decide to get kitted for wet weather as a precaution anyway. I have paid my €8 bill and am just getting kitted up, when Chrissie...

...asks me if I've really ridden my bike all the way from the UK. She and her family are ex-pats from the UK and have lived in Spain for several years now - she's sneaked out for a crafty smoke. We chat about this and that and it turns out she has good friends living about ten minutes away from my home...

I say goodbye and head off onto some very gnarly and under maintained roads...

My average speed drops considerably...

Three untethered horses trot across the road ahead of me...

I'm pretty sure the rain hasn't finished for today, though...

There seems to be some sort of disused (or little used - very overgrown) narrow gauge railway running through here - the bridges are still standing. Perhaps it's a method of collecting the olives and transporting them to a hub for collection?

I get back onto some decently surfaced roads. It's a crime that it's wet - this one would be fun in the dry...

I start making tracks - I'm going to have to start heading home tomorrow and I don't want to be writing late...

The rain has cleared the air and you can see forever...

I spotted this old olive press decorating someone's garden...

The skies clear and I make good time...

...back towards Granada...

The bike...

...might have to get a bit of a wash when I get back to the UK...

...for now, though, I join the A92 for the last 40km, arriving back at the hotel, after filling up, at 1700.

I start the photos uploading, then walk over to the supermarket and buy some dinner...

I can't ever remember seeing puppies for sale in pet shops in the UK...

Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #55
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 834
Yes you are right it is crime that roads are wet when you encounter this type of roads

Goran69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #56
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

9th November 2012

It’s time to start heading back north.

I looked at the map last night, and then at the weather forecast. It’s not going to be easy to find a dry route from Granada, but it looks like heading towards Madrid might be the best bet.

I book a reasonably priced room in Guadalajara, northeast of the capital, and get an early night.

Waking this morning, I am dismayed to see that the forecast ‘broken cloud’ has been rather inaccurate…

Hey-ho...

I have some breakfast then kit up for a period of wet weather. I leave my sheepskin seat cover in the pannier, as I am convinced that sitting in the sodden mass of it a few days ago didn't help keep me dry.

I filled up last night, so get fully kitted in the underground garage and then set off at about 0920...

It's every bit as miserable as it looks. Bettie steers me onto the main dual carriageway out of town...

...and as I leave the outskirts of Granada, the heavens open. I quickly put the camera away under the shower cap on the tank bag and hunch down to minimise the surface area exposed to the drenching torrent. I am keeping up 130kph and the road has very little traffic on it. A single drop of water - exquisitely icy cold - runs slowly down my sternum and I find I've failed to do up my Velcro fastened collar. I put this right and ride on.

This lasts for two hours, at the end of which I have covered 130 miles and stop to refuel...

A trio of sports bike riders are refuelling - all Spaniards. I fill up with Super Unleaded, give them a wave and ride on...

The weather doesn't abate - it's nasty. I retrieve the camera from its waterproof lair for a second to get a pic of this huge silhouette of a fighting bull. They appear prominently on high ground all around Spain and are adverts for the Osborne Sherry Company.

Just after entering the province of Toledo, the rain starts to abate. The skies gradually get lighter, then some blue appears. I'm quite cold, as the water in my suit is starting to evaporate and chilling me as it does so. Unfortunately this is the time my heated jacket decides not to play...

I press on, not bothering to stop - it's not far to the hotel...

A slightly drier bull.

Still heading north towards Madrid, the weather is now quite pleasant...

These boards are all over the place too - they show a black silhouetted man with a red jacket and hat on - I believe they are sherry adverts too...

Skirting around the south-eastern corner of Madrid, I am struck by the amount of graffiti there is. Every vertical surface seems to have been painted on. It was something that I've noticed generally about Spain - spray paint everywhere...

At 1315 I stop and fill up, then check into my hotel...

...with its very pleasant ground floor room. The Adv lives outside under a carport...

I have a relaxing afternoon reading.

Where to tomorrow?

MikeO screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 06:54 AM
MikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

9th November 2012 Continued...

Felt a bit peckish, so popped into the hotel's restaurant...

Whilst downing an ice cool cerveza, I decided to opt for the 'special'...

...which turns out to be a rather nice salad, followed by (vegetarians please turn away now)...

Veal

€10 including three beers!

I've planned a route of about 325 miles for tomorrow - the forecast is not promising...
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #58
Manuel1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Sorry Mike, but weather in Spain this weekend is terrible

And Thank you very much for the report and the pictures

Manuel
Manuel1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #59
MikeO OP
Wage slave...

10th November 2012

I wake early after a good night’s sleep. I have breakfast and load the bike – it’s a dull day and the roads are still damp and there’s a mist of rain in the air. I've booked a room in Pau Lescsar, in the French Pyrenees, this evening and it's going to be a 6+ hour ride...

The lovely Claire and Letty wave me goodbye and I set off.

In order to get onto the motorway I have to double back through an industrial estate. Without warning the bike slows – it has started firing on only one cylinder. I keep the engine running and turn into a roadway in the industrial area. I find I can keep the engine running on one cylinder, so long as I keep the revs above 2500. I set the throttle lock to this setting and put the bike on it’s side stand...

I feel each of the headers in turn with my (gloved) hands and the right header is considerably cooler – indicating that this is where the trouble is. I take off my gloves, pull my tool kit out and undo the two bolts holding on the right hand side-panel. I turn away to pick up my camera, turn back, noticing a sudden smell of petrol and, with a dull whoosh, a large fire develops in front of me. I later found that I took a picture – probably a reflex action.

I quickly turn off the kill switch to stop fuel supply, but it’s obvious this fire is going to be catastrophic. I tear the tank bag off (later noticing that I burn the fingers on my right hand and the thumb of my left doing so) and throw it to the pavement. I then rescue the GPS and empty each pannier in turn – throwing the bags far up the pavement, heedless of any damage.

I then step back some way from the bike. The 30-litre fuel tank is full and the fire has now really taken hold, with thick, oily black smoke curling upwards into the sky.

I take my ‘phone out and call 112, but the operator cannot speak English - it wouldn't make much difference if she did, as I have no idea what the name of this road is.

There can’t be many more lonely experiences than standing in a deserted foreign industrial estate early on a Saturday morning, watching your bike burn.

Eventually a local stops and I give him my phone and he rings the fire brigade. They arrive in fifteen minutes or so, along with the police. They quickly put the fire out, but there’s nothing left by this time, the bike has burned out and all it ever was is now ash and twisted metal.

One of the firemen, Carlos, speaks a little English and he and his colleagues dress the burns on my fingers – I have lost the skin off the fingertips on my middle and ring fingers and have blisters on the index finger and on my right thumb.

The administration starts and I produce my licence and passport and – through Carlos – explain that I’m on my way back to the UK after just over a week. I explain how the fire started (as much as I know, anyway) and the police tell me they are not going to make a report. I ask for some form of official reference to quote and the fire chief gives me his name and station contact details – I’m almost certainly going to need this for an insurance claim.

Got to have a team picture, haven't you?

At length, Carlos gives me a lift back to my hotel – where Claire is shocked to hear what has happened and gives me the key card to my room and asks if there is anything else I need. I thank her and shake my head – I have to start making some calls to the UK…

Bugger
Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #60
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,824
Noooooooo! Mike, if you need any help, shout.

Seriously; anything you need?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote