Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
I did a 7,000 mile ride from Michigan to California and back this past August. I had the TKC 80 front and 140/80-17 K60 rear, both mounted brand new for the trip. I still have the k60 on the rear with over 9,000 mile on it as of right now. It was a good combo for the varying road conditions. If your going to ride dirt and have a long way to get there this was a good set up.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,322
Another vote for the Anakee II's. I put my current set on before a 5000 mile loop around the southwest last Sept. and they're still in pretty good shape. Great traction dry or wet, used them all winter. I love these tires.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
I have the Anakee II on my F658GS ... roughly 12K miles on them now and they would have been good for another couple thousand I think ... alas ... today I picked up a very small puncture in the rear ... what I pulled out of the tire looked almost like a small shark tooth and was none metallic ... not sure WTF happened...

With the tread "almost" gone, I'm not sure I'll bother trying to repair ... unless someone has a clever suggestion?

Anyway, I like the tires ... good grip nice ... in pretty much anything but slick/wet hard clay
One thing I do notice which I think is a result of the tread grooves getting larger as they get to the edge of the tire is some heavier "road noise" when I have the bike leaned over ... not a big annoyance.

BTW: Does anyone know what the original tread depth is on the Anakee II ???

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 12:28 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
alas ... today I picked up a very small puncture in the rear ... what I pulled out of the tire looked almost like a small shark tooth and was none metallic ... not sure WTF happened...

BTW: Does anyone know what the original tread depth is on the Anakee II ???
Landshark!

Tread depths (from Michelin chart):

Front: 6/32"
Rear: 10/32"
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Landshark ... sheezzzzzzzzzzz I better not see him again soon!

Thanks for the tread depth info!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Thumb Scorp Trails

No one's mentioned the Pirelli Scorpion Trails, so I will. They look pretty tame, but I've had a set on my bike for about 4k miles now and am enjoying them. I've had them on a some rocky dirt roads and wet pavement and they've worked well. Just rode them over Hunter Mountain (back way into Death Valley), and out to pavement past Tea Kettle Junction with no problems over lots of dirt, gravel, rocks and washboard. Then more dirt and gravel into Nevada to watch the eclipse . Certainly not a mud tire, a little squirrely in the sand, excellent traction on the street and perfectly good for a lot of off-pavement riding. And they're wearing well, too.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
No one's mentioned the Pirelli Scorpion Trails, so I will. They look pretty tame, but I've had a set on my bike for about 4k miles now and am enjoying them. I've had them on a some rocky dirt roads and wet pavement and they've worked well. Just rode them over Hunter Mountain (back way into Death Valley), and out to pavement past Tea Kettle Junction with no problems over lots of dirt, gravel, rocks and washboard. Then more dirt and gravel into Nevada to watch the eclipse . Certainly not a mud tire, a little squirrely in the sand, excellent traction on the street and perfectly good for a lot of off-pavement riding. And they're wearing well, too.
I thought it was just me!

In dry weather, I do fine on all kinds of road surfaces from gnarly rock trails to loose gravel, dirt, etc. Yeah, you'll definitely get some fishtailing in sand, but they're amazingly capable for a mostly street-oriented tire and if you use your head, you can go damn near anywhere with them. Mud, wet grass, and the like? Fuhgeddaboutit!
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I would run with a combo of Metzeler Karoo 2 (without T) in the front and Heidenau K60 in the rear. Works great on and off the road.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Mefo sports

I have these on my DR350,2000 miles on rear and seems to be holding up well,I'm seeing 5000 miles for sure maybe more,these things make the DR a cornering machine,and 70mph on the Freeway is not as squirrelly as before,in dirt,rocks,and roots they stick and make the DR chug along in the single track stuff.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #25
nathan8315
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
K60 Scout

I bought a K60 scout set for a trip this month and have about 2500 miles on them now. The front shows very little wear and the back looks used. The tires have seen dry and rain paved roads and dry, rain, hail, and snow off road. 2000 miles have been on the road and about 500 off road. Off road includes fire roads and rocky terrain. The only time I had problems was in the snow and ice, but I think most duel purpose tires would have a problem there too. Below are a couple pics of mid trip. I leave again tomorrow to head out on the last part of my trip which will add about another 1000 miles to the tires. They really don't seem to be wearing that fast and the only thing I would possibly do different is put a TKC80 on the front for some better off road performance (the K60 front tends to "slide" if not careful). These also seem grip very well on the road. I did some rides around the mountains in the denver area with my brother on the street and was very comfortable leaning the bike over and not worrying about them breaking loose.

edited: I have been using these tires with a loaded down bike. Both side BMW side cases full, a dry bag of clothes on the back seat, and a trunk of misc (camera, notepad, sleeping bag, extras gloves, and rain gear). Basically they have been holding up very well with some weight on them.

nathan8315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
Farkler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thumb #1 on the Tourance

As mentioned by several others, the Metzler Tourance is an outstanding tire. I have one on the rear of my F650 classic with about 5,000 miles on it and I'm expecting AT LEAST maybe another 2k or so. They are a little pricey sometimes, but find a set online and get them sent to you.

I've been very impressed with the grip in the turns as well as the traction in the dirt. After a couple multi-day trips both in dirt and on the slab, I've been pretty happy with them.

-Farkler
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Thumb Scorpion update

My front Scorp Trail now has over 9k miles and is still OK. Replaced the rear at about 6500 miles with another Scorp.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 189
Puke Anakee...

Well, I did a very long trip last December/January, Northeast Brasil - El Calafate (Argentina) - Back Home again and I have a different opinion: the first 5.000 km the Anakees 2 are great. The best grip ever on the wet and dry pavement. After that I felt the front really unstable. Thought it would be the tire. I checked it and at the first glance all I saw was a perfect tire (for that mileage of course). Then, it got worse. Looked again (closely this time) and realized the tire was deformed in a very strange way, even though it didn't look like it.

Now I have the Tourance (without the "T") and they handle more mileage big time. But they sure don't have the Anakee's grip. The Anakee's rubber seams to be "softer";
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #29
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkler View Post
...tire....
I suspect the OP bought his tires, rode to Montana and is back home by now.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,895
I got 14k out of a set of Metzeler Tourances. Trying the Tourance EXPs right now, not so impressed. Will swap back to a Tourance rear and probably go with a TKC80 front for next years trip to Iceland.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote