ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?
Yes 65 54.17%
No 55 45.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #316
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
You've made the reference to "most derisive president since Nixon" three times. What is your basis for this? Do you have some quantifiable measure, or is this simply your opinion? Sometimes you've stated derisive, other times divisive. They are somewhat different.
Edit: I mis-typed when I said "derisive" in a previous post or two. I meant "divisive". Sorry for the confusion and my occasional PUI...

It is my opinion based on being an adult during the time period. Also based upon how divided the country was at the time, much worse than now. In my experience, during the Viet Nam war was the most divided our country has been since WW2 and Nixon was in the center of that conflicted time and the cultural divide. There were marches and violent rioting in the street and people leaving the country to avoid being prosecuted for avoiding the draft. Yes, we have recently had the cute anti-Wall Street demonstrations, but they pale in comparison, again, IMHO. Sure, other presidents have been divisive (usually in direct relation to whether you voted for him or not), but I think a valid argument can be made that Nixon was the most divisive in our lifetimes. And I think Mr. Obama is the second most divisive as shown by the total paralysis in Washington. Even both Bushes, Clinton, Reagan et. al. were able to get things done with their congresses.

Who do you think the most divisive president was during that time? Wait, let me guess, does his name have a "W" in the middle?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 11:54 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #317
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
It is my opinion based on being an adult during the time period. Also based upon how divided the country was at the time, much worse than now. In my experience, during the Viet Nam war was the most divided our country has been since WW2 and Nixon was in the center of that conflicted time and the cultural divide. There were marches and violent rioting in the street and people leaving the country to avoid being prosecuted for avoiding the draft. Yes, we have recently had the anti-Wall Street demonstrations, but they pale in comparison, again, IMHO. Sure, other presidents have been divisive (usually in direct relation to whether you voted for him or not), but I think a valid argument can be made that Nixon was the most divisive in our lifetimes.

Who do you think the most divisive president was during that time? Wait, let me guess, does his name have a "W" in the middle?
Actually, I thought W was good at compromise, both as governor of Texas and as president. BTW, I voted for him both times. I didn't start voting for democrats until the tea party idiots took over the GOP.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #318
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Actually, I thought W was good at compromise, both as governor of Texas and as president. BTW, I voted for him both times. I didn't start voting for democrats until the tea party idiots took over the GOP.
hrm, interesting. I find myself more closely identifying with Tea Party than more of the traditional Republican ideals. In my view, Tea Party means don't spend more than you make - PERIOD.

I'm curious what you see in the Tea Party that is objectionable?
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #319
Junglerot
Hodor!

Oddometer: 3,415
Quote:
Yeah, all the right wingers in Springs and Texas seem to keep pulling this toward a CSM topic. I vote that we let southern Colorado secede to Texas.

Oh, I think you've earned your Trolling merit badge with this thread
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #320
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
hrm, interesting. I find myself more closely identifying with Tea Party than more of the traditional Republican ideals. In my view, Tea Party means don't spend more than you make - PERIOD.

Same here, except I view the Tea Party as two seperate movements. There was the original Tea Party movement which was simple, pure and very bi partisan that the one I identify with and support. Then there was a faction that splintered off that was hijacked by Rand Paul and others. That faction is decisive, noisy and gets all the media attention.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #321
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Same here, except I view the Tea Party as two seperate movements. There was the original Tea Party movement which was simple, pure and very bi partisan that the one I identify with and support. Then there was a faction that splintered off that was hijacked by Rand Paul and others. That faction is decisive, noisy and gets all the media attention.
Whats wrong with decisive?
MartiniUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #322
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
After doing a little research, I agree. Most of the basic principles are sound on paper, they are more libertarian than GOP. The biggest turn off for me is idiots like Sarah Palin espousing the tea party.

HellSickle screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 01:38 PM
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #323
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Whats wrong with decisive?
Decisive, derisive, divisive..... You guys are getting hung up on semantics.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #324
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,755
Quote:

Professional Troll work I think?

Tea Party objectionable.....................who woulda thought?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #325
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Edit: I mis-typed when I said "derisive" in a previous post or two. I meant "divisive". Sorry for the confusion and my occasional PUI...

It is my opinion based on being an adult during the time period. Also based upon how divided the country was at the time, much worse than now. In my experience, during the Viet Nam war was the most divided our country has been since WW2 and Nixon was in the center of that conflicted time and the cultural divide. There were marches and violent rioting in the street and people leaving the country to avoid being prosecuted for avoiding the draft. Yes, we have recently had the cute anti-Wall Street demonstrations, but they pale in comparison, again, IMHO. Sure, other presidents have been divisive (usually in direct relation to whether you voted for him or not), but I think a valid argument can be made that Nixon was the most divisive in our lifetimes. And I think Mr. Obama is the second most divisive as shown by the total paralysis in Washington. Even both Bushes, Clinton, Reagan et. al. were able to get things done with their congresses.

Total Paralysis in Washington is a new thing? Only happened under Obama?
Could be,just maybe,you didnt like Obama before he got there,and you dont like him now?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #326
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,847
Quote:
After doing a little research, I agree. Most of the basic principles are sound on paper, they are more libertarian than GOP. The biggest turn off for me is idiots like Sarah Palin espousing the tea party.
Yabutt she's kinda Hawt.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #327
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Yabutt she's kinda Hawt.
Are you saying she's a GILF?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #328
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
There was a lot of support for Paul in the party and that would REALLY have been a shellacking. People need charismatic figures to get behind and he's like that old boring college professor.

Quote:
I think I would agree with all that and find myself being more libertarian. Early on, I thought Palin could be a breath of fresh air and a "regular folk" people could relate to. Boy was I wrong and the more she speaks the more I run away screaming. But I do find her hawt when she's not talking.

That is why the movement has purposely not picked a "leader" or tried to become a party. It's always wanted to be a philosophy. When you pick a leader then there is a face to the movement that can be attacked and divided. Which is precisely what you see here as Palin is out there speaking and becoming more of a defacto face of the movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Professional Troll work I think?

Tea Party objectionable.....................who woulda thought?
I don't understand what you are trying to say?

But here are the principles:
1. Illegal aliens are here illegally.
2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.
3. A strong military is essential.
4. Special interests must be eliminated.
5. Gun ownership is sacred.
6. Government must be downsized.
7. The national budget must be balanced.
8. Deficit spending must end.
9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.
10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.
11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.
12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.
13. Intrusive government must be stopped.
14. English as our core language is required.
15. Traditional family values are encouraged.

TinkerinWstuff screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 02:44 PM
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #329
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Total Paralysis in Washington is a new thing? Only happened under Obama?
Could be,just maybe,you didnt like Obama before he got there,and you dont like him now?
I never said it was a new thing. I said in my opinion it is worse than it has been in recent history. If you could, please cite the legislative accomplishments (other than Obamacare which I mentioned) in the last four years to show that anything has been done. To make it easy, just keep with the bigger things like an energy policy or immigration or tax policy or debt reduction, maybe even just a real budget.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #330
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:

How is the tea party different than the libertarians?

Other than:
Keep government out of my healthcare (except my government run medicare)
Cut back government spending! (except my social security)
Cut government spending (except road funding for my state)

Once the hypocritical tendencies of the TP were shown, I realized that while they meant well, there is just way too much funny in there. If you like the tea party but want to forgo all the hypocrisy, just go libertarian or constitutionalism.