User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
turbojet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
dealer loyalty/2012 990 price

I'm planning to switch from BMW to the Orange side and I have a local KTM ONLY dealer (who seems like they have all the parts, accessories, etc) has several 2012 990's for $14999 out the door. They seem to know the 990 really well and other dealers don't seem to know as much. The other dealers within 30-60 miles have the same bike for $13399-$13999 OTD. The difference is that these are big box multi-brand dealers and I would plan on doing whatever service at my local dealer. Obviously I would do simple service's myself. So is dealer loyalty worth $1000? Also he says their set up is stellar and I should be concerned re: other dealer's set up. Plus they have a really good mechanic with many years of KTM experience. My location is Portland, Oregon and I am talking about the Gresham dealer. Any thoughts?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 164
Get the cheaper one and save some money. Put that extra $1000 into
your new bike.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
I agree, put the extra in heated water proof gear, your going into winter you always need new winter gear!

Or have the dealership throw in the extra gear or things you need, just a thought.

Congrats on the ride!
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Purchased two new bikes from this dealer

In the last three years i have purchased a 990 Adv and a 500exc from this dealer.
I love the small dealer feel to this shop. Everyone there always has a friendly greeting and actually remembers your name and not just big shop sales guy who goes through the motion or ignors you completely.
Always willing to answer your tech questions for do it yourself types. Great customer service for warranty service and willing to back the customer for warrantys.
I think you will find they will work with when you get down to the business of putting the money down on the table.
Also will work with you on your extras.
My next KTM was purchased used, sure they wished they would sold me a new bike, but they at least they acted excited for me. I can honestly say there has not been one time they didnt have a part i needed in stock.
In these times if we don't support these stocking dealers that has good local service they may slowly fade away.
That is worth the value for me.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I was quoted 13,599 OTD at a couple of the big stores too but once i got there the story changed. 14,799. Twice

Setup is important on these bikes. They are also there for you when you need them. I have needed that kind of service twice in six months. I'm up in Vancouver and bought through Gresham.
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
In the last three years i have purchased a 990 Adv and a 500exc from this dealer.
I love the small dealer feel to this shop. Everyone there always has a friendly greeting and actually remembers your name and not just big shop sales guy who goes through the motion or ignors you completely.
Always willing to answer your tech questions for do it yourself types. Great customer service for warranty service and willing to back the customer for warrantys.
I think you will find they will work with when you get down to the business of putting the money down on the table.
Also will work with you on your extras.
My next KTM was purchased used, sure they wished they would sold me a new bike, but they at least they acted excited for me. I can honestly say there has not been one time they didnt have a part i needed in stock.
In these times if we don't support these stocking dealers that has good local service they may slowly fade away.
That is worth the value for me.
+1
Gresham ktm is a great shop and I've had great customer service even though I bought my bike used. At the ktm rally in Bend their mechanics name came up a couple times as being one of the best around.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
turbojet OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the excellent replies regarding Gresham KTM. My feeling was also that it was worth spending a little more to deal with a dealer that really knows these bikes and will support me and the bike going forward. Cheers!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
go2cnavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Thanks for the excellent replies regarding Gresham KTM. My feeling was also that it was worth spending a little more to deal with a dealer that really knows these bikes and will support me and the bike going forward. Cheers!
If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, $1000 is a small price to pay for knowing you and your bike will be treated well in their hands.

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I'm planning to switch from BMW to the Orange side and I have a local KTM ONLY dealer (who seems like they have all the parts, accessories, etc) has several 2012 990's for $14999 out the door. They seem to know the 990 really well and other dealers don't seem to know as much. The other dealers within 30-60 miles have the same bike for $13399-$13999 OTD. The difference is that these are big box multi-brand dealers and I would plan on doing whatever service at my local dealer. Obviously I would do simple service's myself. So is dealer loyalty worth $1000? Also he says their set up is stellar and I should be concerned re: other dealer's set up. Plus they have a really good mechanic with many years of KTM experience. My location is Portland, Oregon and I am talking about the Gresham dealer. Any thoughts?
I would try and buy the bike from the KTM ONLY dealer. Is there any way they will meet the other price? One way you could get closer is ask them to include some accessories like a tank bag/top case, or heated grips and the first service and an oil change or something like that to show you would rather spend the money with them and you intend to have them service the bike. My guess is they would rather sell you the bike and it doesn't seem like they are worlds apart and might just need to be a little creative.

I have tried to take my bike to a multi-line dealer with pretty poor results and am going back to the KTM only dealer which is further away, but the bike always seemed to be dialed in better by them. Think about it. How many KTM's does a mulit-line dealer actually service in a year? I learned the hard way trying to save time as the mulit-line dealer is closer. The answer is not too many. The KTM only dealer sees more bikes and has more knowledge because of it. (I did buy it from the KTM only dealer, but they were the only one who had the bike I wanted at the time.) I usually do most stuff myself but digging into the engine the bike sees the dealer. I am still learning but have come a long way since I purchased the bike.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,614
Btw, did you try to deal with them? I was there today picking up a few things and saw their price on the 990's but it's been my experience with them that that's a starting price. Back when I was looking to buy new from them those were about the same prices. But they were going to throw in a set of heated grips and some luggage. They'll work with you a little.

Good luck
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,041
I've never had a good experience at a dealer. I'd buy it from the cheapest place and just service it yourself.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I've never had a good experience at a dealer. I'd buy it from the cheapest place and just service it yourself.
+1 on that.
Better yet find a '10 or '11 that's sitting on a stealers floor.
Something around $12,500

A dealer with good parts prices, not !!! Like the 2 orings for $53.

Buy your parts online.

Max
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Shop and compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
+1 on that.
Better yet find a '10 or '11 that's sitting on a stealers floor.
Something around $12,500

A dealer with good parts prices, not !!! Like the 2 orings for $53.

Buy your parts online.

Max
I think your view is a generalization. Maybe in your area. In case of the Gresham dealer their part prices are in line and some items & some less than I found on line. I have also bought a fair number of items on-line. I suggest at least get a comparison first. For example a couple weeks ago I bought an adjustable a KTM multi-cam throttle tube. The Gresham dealer was $25 less than the KTMparts online store. Plus no shipping to pay. If it's within the cost plus shipping I go local.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup View Post
I think your view is a generalization. ......
...... If it's within the cost plus shipping I go local.
Good words, fellow Columbia Gorgian

Gresham is a good dealer with good long-term people.
I bought my 990 there over 5 years ago.
When I used to get serviced there, it was always perfect, and well-done.
Tod (mechanic) is easy to work with and talk to, and knows these bikes inside out.
While I do my own service now, I will still buy parts there,
...they can ship them to me in one day !!

Blinkers are always in stock , rear mud guard, rear brake bleeder nipple,
other small, not-every-day parts that they regularly have in stock
.... ...and they DO price the same as KTMTwins
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
turbojet OP
Adventurer

Mt Hood Guy, I'm in Mosier so we will have to get together. Thanks for all the replies, I feel the same way about the local dealer. I'm planning to go in there in the next day or so and put a hold on a blue KTM 990. Just so everyone knows I'm coming from a long line of BMW's including two GS's. My current 800GS is for sale and I have some angst about switching to the Orange side but I'll get used to it. I'll let you know when I get the bike.