Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #301
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKTW2 View Post
My Mikuni floods all the time. My XR is still out in the wood where it left me, stranded for the millionth time, I walked home...
It runs awesome on the street and on fire trails but when you try and ride in the woods and you go over steep mounds, or god forbid you tip over the top heavy elephant, it floods and shuts off then will not start back up until it has fully cooled down. I put a new iridium NGK plug and it worked good for a few months now back to being stranded.
What gives?!
If you have one of the gas tank fuel vent hoses with check valve, remove the check valve and install only an open fuel vent hose. There is a warning in the Mikuni manual about the check valve causing problems with fuel delivery and float levels.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #302
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Time to come clean.
For quite a while I've been advising to use the 27.5 idle jet instead of the 25, for reason to keep the engine cooler at low revs/pace. Oh, airjet 1.2, altitude 1100-1700m HASL, temp ~30C.
Well, it doesn't, or not enough, on my last trip it boiled over again, in an area even where I'd have thought the wind/speed was enough.
So, I'm going back to the 25: better idling (perfect doesn't exist but it's close), and getting as hot & as quick (maybe a tiny notch quicker) as with the 27.5 it seems.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #303
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Time to come clean.
For quite a while I've been advising to use the 27.5 idle jet instead of the 25, for reason to keep the engine cooler at low revs/pace. Oh, airjet 1.2, altitude 1100-1700m HASL, temp ~30C.
Well, it doesn't, or not enough, on my last trip it boiled over again, in an area even where I'd have thought the wind/speed was enough.
So, I'm going back to the 25: better idling (perfect doesn't exist but it's close), and getting as hot & as quick (maybe a tiny notch quicker) as with the 27.5 it seems.
What jets are included in the new set from power barn ?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #304
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
No idea, never bought from them
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #305
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
TM40 jets

[QUOTE=ZXRaziel;21139076]What jets are included in the new set from power barn ?

Nice chap, very helpful.
Specified what I wanted and thats how it arrived
Ordered a number of extras after the event and they arrived in a few weeks.
You are closer than we are here in OZ so it may be quicker for you.

Some of us (Ridefreak/Myself and others) sent back our settings and he (Mike?) may have a database for the XR650R by now.
That info should be a good place to start based on your elevation/motor/exhaust/air filter config.
Ridefreak is up fairly high in NewMexico so his data may not be appropriate for you in the UK.
I ride between 3000-4500 feet as a rule so can dig up my settings if your'e interested.
Runs acceptably well at lower levels as well
JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #306
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Thanx for the valuable information everyone
Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #307
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-rider View Post
I temporarily zip-tied the knob part to my case saver mount until I fashion a bracket for it. Then again maybe I won't bother with a bracket - works fine the way it is...
Same here, but would like to proper hold this as this solution puts the choke between frame and boots.

Any sugestion guys?
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/

babuja screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 01:58 PM
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #308
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Time to come clean.

Might try a 1.6 bar rad cap. I'd also toss the thermostat. Been running my BRP SuperMoto like that for years and only stop and go traffic makes it overheat.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #309
Bench Racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Question

Does anyone know the part numbers for all the parts that come in a TM40 kit? The carb, cables +4", intake and boot spigot adapters, and jets. I do have some jetting specs from a buddy so I'm not super worried about that. Im trying to find a way yo save money on this purchase. Any help would be great. Thanks

Bench Racer screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 06:18 AM
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #310
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
Same here, but would like to proper hold this as this solution puts the choke between frame and boots.

Any sugestion guys?
See the case bolt that holds the wiring stay behind the clutch arm? I fashioned a holder that attached there to hold the cable, worked great.

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #311
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,331
RF, that's a nice setup on your choke. I've never seen your XR on any of the trips where we've met up, as you always have the KTM's with you. Looks like a nice ride in some of the pics I've seen. The TM-36 on my KLX is basically identical to the 40. That XR aftermarket tank must really droop low on that side. Even that huge Acerbis tank you've seen on my KLX allows access to the idle and choke knobs. How much fuel does that XR tank hold?
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #312
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
See the case bolt that holds the wiring stay behind the clutch arm? I fashioned a holder that attached there to hold the cable, worked great.

Tnks man, i'll do something similar 😜

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #313
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
RF, that's a nice setup on your choke. I've never seen your XR on any of the trips where we've met up, as you always have the KTM's with you. Looks like a nice ride in some of the pics I've seen. The TM-36 on my KLX is basically identical to the 40. That XR aftermarket tank must really droop low on that side. Even that huge Acerbis tank you've seen on my KLX allows access to the idle and choke knobs. How much fuel does that XR tank hold?
The XR is a great DS bike, #1 for rippin through the Dez on a long ride. I really liked it but I got seduced by a skinny bitch dressed in an orange bikini

Here's a 6 gal Safari, 300mi with the TM40

3.1 Clarke, 160mi range

Getting to the carb with the tank isn't that bad but the version of TM40 they sell has that cable setup so unless you want to retrofit a knob ya got to route it somewhere.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #314
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,243
Nice ride. I know what you mean about the allure of the pumpkin bikes. I'm leaning that way myself (530 EXC). However, I'll never sell my XRs they're just too cool.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #315
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider View Post
Nice ride. I know what you mean about the allure of the pumpkin bikes. I'm leaning that way myself (530 EXC). However, I'll never sell my XRs they're just too cool.

Same here, but I am looking at 300 2t or a 350 4t. I was looking pretty hard at the 530, but felt it was too much overlap with the xrr. I just don't think I can replace the xrr for open desert comfort and reliability and haulassness.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote