6K? Deal ... I will pick it up this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
weeman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
So, I guess with that response 5k isn't that bad even if the engine needs going through. Right now it starts with one or two kicks and the right cylinder has the lowest compression but runs okay. If you've read the above posts I'm sure you'll agree on the rebuild as I do. Having said that, I'm going to sort it out and just ride it after the rebuild.
By the way, the Alfas aren't mine. Thanks for the comments!

Steve
weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
Tracknod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeman View Post
So, I guess with that response 5k isn't that bad even if the engine needs going through. Right now it starts with one or two kicks and the right cylinder has the lowest compression but runs okay. If you've read the above posts I'm sure you'll agree on the rebuild as I do. Having said that, I'm going to sort it out and just ride it after the rebuild.
By the way, the Alfas aren't mine. Thanks for the comments!

Steve

Have you been watching ebay for prices? POS rust bucket /2s are going for 4.5k This is a good deal if that is the bike. That bike is a day of white diamond, steel wool, and wax away from being a really nice rider.

If I didn't have 3 /2s and a /3 i would be trying to get it if you didn't.

Bikes in the garage:

'09 BMW 1200 GSA
"Blü Oni"
'03 Honda VTX Bored, chopped, raked, and fat "Hassen "
'02 BMW 1150 GSA "Red Wooster"
'85 Honda CBR 900 Cafe'd For Sale
'83 Suzuki GS450 Bobber "HydroStream"
'70 BMW 75/5 Cafe'd "She Devil"
'38 BMW R71 Hack Jackie Chan Edition "Slow Boat"
Tracknod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,891
note taking compression on airheads requires taking off carb or raising carb slide to up position. better to remove carb. your compression reading will be low if carb is not removed.

that /2 has ADV sticker on it... who did it belong to?
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #20
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
note taking compression on airheads requires taking off carb or raising carb slide to up position. better to remove carb. your compression reading will be low if carb is not removed.

that /2 has ADV sticker on it... who did it belong to?
The ADV sticker is my bike. Just for comparison. I'd not heard that compression should be measured with the carbs off. What's up with that?
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #21
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

The other side

Another shot of Weeman's new? bike...

Much can be determined by your first fluid change. Inspect the motor oil carefully for shiny bits. Do the same for the tranny. Take a small stick and measure the level of the gear oil in the driveshaft. Drop the rear drive oil and check again for "the brassy sheen". Order the magnetic drain bolts from Benchmark Works. They are very helpful in keeping track of wear and tear.
To post pics on this website you need to have them preposted on a photo sharing/storing service like Flickr or something.
Better yet, instead of blowing $40 on MOA, blow it on joining SmugMug. The owner of ADV, keeps ADV free for our use, by running the SmugMug operation. You'll then be able to post all the pictures we want to see...
Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
weeman OP
Adventurer

Thank you for all your wisdom and info regarding my decision whether or not to bite the bullet to get this bike. I know that there are things to replace but can say that from your reactions it will be a solid purchase.

Steve
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,891
Quote:
The ADV sticker is my bike. Just for comparison. I'd not heard that compression should be measured with the carbs off . What's up with that?
airheads carbs have a sliding piston that blocks air flow when taking a compression reading even with butterfly open. to get an accurate reading one needs to take carbs off or jam piston open. BMW motorcycle compression testing instructions

if you are new to airheads .. take extra care torquing down bolts that thread into aluminum. which is pretty much all over airheads. when spec's say 7ft lb ... it means it. a 1/4in drive in lb torque wrench is a handy tool to have around.

spec's list compression at a low 7.5-1 ... so engine could be just fine if your /2 starts and runs good.

pretty safe to say several inmates, including me would be happy to take that /2 home.

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 06:25 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
weeman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
airheads carbs have a sliding piston that blocks air flow when taking a compression reading even with butterfly open. to get an accurate reading one needs to take carbs off or jam piston open. BMW motorcycle compression testing instructions

if you are new to airheads .. take extra care torquing down bolts that thread into aluminum. which is pretty much all over airheads. when spec's say 7ft lb ... it means it. a 1/4in drive in lb torque wrench is a handy tool to have around.

spec's list compression at a low 7.5-1 ... so engine could be just fine if your /2 starts and runs good.

pretty safe to say several inmates, including me would be happy to take that /2 home.

Fantastic useful information! I do know after reading this that the right cylinder does have the flat spot when trying to adjust the carb plus it's sound is not as crisp as the left. We shall see...

Steve
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Man, that looks like a good find. Certainly cleaner than my /2's.. and it runs! Nice.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Tell us about yourself!

Are you mechanically inclined?
What attracts you to that bike?
Do you want to ride it or just own it?
Have you ever heard of "slingers"?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #27
weeman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Are you mechanically inclined?
What attracts you to that bike?
Do you want to ride it or just own it?
Have you ever heard of "slingers"?
Started riding bikes at 13 (honda s90) then late teens raced motox campaigning a Husky 400. In my early 20's raced a Yamaha rd 350 in AFM until a nasty crash set me into street riding until I got married. Recent divorce launched me back into riding again with a 1995 r1100 rsl. In between motorcycles I've restored many English cars mainly Mini's or English Fords (locorts or GT's) with a few Lotus's in the mix. Right now at almost the age of 60 yrs. all I would like to do is enjoy riding a vintage bike any chance I can get before they pry my hands off the steering wheel or handlebars.

Steve

weeman screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 10:45 AM
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
weeman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Started riding bikes at 13 (honda s90) then late teens raced motox campaigning a Husky 400. In my early 20's raced a Yamaha rd 350 in AFM until a nasty crash set me into street riding until I got married. Recent divore launched me back into riding again with a 1995 r1100 rsl. In between motorcycles I've restored many English cars mainly Mini's or English Fords (locorts or GT's) with a few Lotus's in the mix. Right now at almost the age of 60 yrs. all I would like to do is enjoy riding a vintage bike any chance I can get before they pry my hands off the steering wheel or handlebars.

Steve
Forgot to mention that I'm very informed about slingers......will have to do it on this one because no mechanical history at 52k.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

That is such the RIGHT answer!

Quote:
Forgot to mention that I'm very informed about slingers......will have to do it on this one because no mechanical history at 52k.

Nice bike. You'll have fun with that!
Keep us posted.
Feel free to ask questions. You'll have more answers than Carter has Little Liver Pills...
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
weeman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Nice bike. You'll have fun with that!
Keep us posted.
Feel free to ask questions. You'll have more answers than Carter has Little Liver Pills...
Thanks for all your encouraging words I do appreciate it! I will most definitely keep you posted.

Cheers,
Steve