User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 901
#@%! Snow!

My day started off so nice. Got into work early (I run the coffee bar at the Whole Foods on E57th St.), packed out a bunch of stuff, placed some orders. One of my all-stars was working with me, so I figured I could get away and do some more packing out and office-y stuff. Nope. At 9:30 she left due to stomach issues. And because of tight labor budget and scheduling, I was alone until 4pm. A nice 10-hour day.

Meanwhile, I see the snow outside the window, but everyone assures me it's not sticking. Since the store was dead (everyone hiding at home) I decided to do some shopping. Got to the bike, loaded it up, suited up, then headed for the QBB.

OK, visibility was nil and people were still driving like assholes. Got over the bridge fine. Northern Blvd moving slow, but that's fine since snow was sticking and I still couldn't see. And some guy in an 18-wheeler next to me wondered why I didn't just weave in and out of traffic. I tried to explain traction of a two-wheeler vs. 18-wheeler, but I don't think he got it.

Hung a left onto 45th St, er, almost. Someone was turning right onto it but aborted midway through. No prob. Traffic moving slow up 45th. Rear wheel of the GS swung out left a few times, but I kept it up. Headed up a slight hill to a stop sign where intersecting traffic on left does not stop. I was gonna just ride through but saw headlights. Eased on front brake -woopsie-daisy! down I went onto the starboard side. Was able to hurk it up onto the side stand, but it was sorta leaning against an SUV. Tried to stand it up to see if I could straddle it to ride it. Boots had no traction and the camber worked against me cuz it went down onto the port side. A good samaritan helped me get it back up.

After breathing for a bit, I took out two bags of groceries and humped it the two blocks home.

Yes, I dumped it two blocks from home.

I put on my new Red Wing boots, with traction!, and walked back to the bike. A car had left the parking spot just in front of the bike so I started to maneuver it into that spot, instead of being half in the road. I got it against the curb and noticed it was fairly upright. I swung a leg over and could stand it up. So, I fired it up, put on the hazards and duck-walked it the two blocks home.

Damage? The left Jesse bag is pushed in even farther so it barely opens & closes. I'll find out more tomorrow. Me? A sore back.

Message to Mother Nature left on my topcase:

Duck-walking tracks:

(Also, very similar to the tracks I leave when walking on a nude beach)

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer: 1,813
"very similar to the tracks I leave when walking on a nude beach

ROTFLMFAO!

-Eff
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 765
Cool2 Climate Change? What Climate Change???

AWESOME ADVENTURE.

BTDT

Hard to believe NY has snow, and it's tee shirt weather up here in the GWN.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Chuckle, I kinda don't think the snow was to blame.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
chasssmash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
The snow in NY yesterday was horrible. Snow mixed with ice.

I hardly ever don't ride home. And snow is usually no problem. But yesterday I got a lift home and left the bike in the parking lot. It was the worst road surface I have seen for a while. Very dangerous.
chasssmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post

Duck-walking tracks:

(Also, very similar to the tracks I leave when walking on a nude beach)
.....You're a bad ass. TAke it easy today.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,040
Not yesterday, but I rode when snow was in the forecast for the p.m. though it "won't stick to roads and treated surfaces"...

Within 15 minutes of the first flakes, all surfaces may as well have been coated with grease; this on a rear tire just at about lifespan.

I made like a bike messenger in terms of my front brake. Interesting ride home.

Now knobbies, on the other hand...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378

Duck-walking tracks:

(Also, very similar to the tracks I leave when walking on a nude beach)[/QUOTE]

Btw gla you and the bike are ok
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 901
So how does one handle a bike in the snow?

When the rear end starts to slide out do I gas it? clutch in? throttle off? hands off the bars and cover my head?

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Smoothly.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

When the rear end starts to slide out do I gas it? clutch in? throttle off? hands off the bars and cover my head?

Keep loose, make your inputs smooth and light, don't fight it, let it have its way.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,922
I dont even drive a 2wd car if there is snow anywhere in the forcast.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:

Well if you're on a big, heavy bike, and 'normal' tyres, and there's enough snow to make the road really slippery, then you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Especially if there's lots of traffic around you.

Proper winter tyres usually have some sort of studs, and their thread pattern is much closer to a motocross tyre, than a street one. Riding on snow, the studs won't help, they're for ice, but the pattern must be open enough, so that snow will not stick to it so easily. If that happens, you go down before you notice.

The choice of bike also makes a world of difference. A big GS, for example, is about twice as heavy as it should be for winter riding (I know some people do ride them in winter though). Think 125cc - 350cc enduro bikes, now those would be much more suited for wintry riding conditions, and also much easier to pick up when you crash

Pecha72 screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 11:27 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Sidecar!
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
I strive to keep the bike vertical. As in no leaning into the turns and such. I steer it like a shopping cart. Very gentle on throttle, clutch and brakes so as to not break traction, quick gentle action to regain traction if I do lose it. My feet are generally down on the pavement, sliding along to act as outriggers.

I will maximize traction wherever possible; from riding an unpaved shoulder to staying on an interstate where tires have melted snow. Whatever works best for the area and situation.

Increase the heck out of stopping distance, turning radiuses, slow acceleration, etc. This can cause problems with cars as they have more traction and tend to crawl up your backside to "encourage" you along.

Speeds are low, so should I go "woops" and wipe out, I hopefully won't get hurt badly.

If it ices up, I quit trying. I have not found ice riding on the streets with non-studded tires to be successfull in any fashion.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote