Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Horn being the easiest to access button and the signals being on a single button that goes left and right (a different action than the horn) on the non-throttle-grip hand just makes a lot more sense imo

The BMW indicators are worse for cancelling signals and for finding the horn because it's harder to cancel while full accelerating and because the horn is in between buttons instead of being the easiest to find in an emergency, and easier to hit by accident

Waiting for the auto-cancel signal is dangerous and not being able to throttle while cancelling signals is just annoying. I got used to them but it still impacts my riding a bit even though the standard ones never ever did. Just a waste of buttons for a slightly worse setup
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Flashdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I've had both and don't mind either. I actually didn't understand all the fuss.
Flashdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
kkrider
mountain endurance rider

Oddometer: 16
basic

Like the Harley switches. Left on the left right on the right each one cancels out. basic
kkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I definitely prefer the "old" system.
Had a long conversation with Mr. BMW about why. The why is because they were running out of real estate for solid state electronics with all of the eas esc blah blah blah.

I have anew 2013 now....and I have sure flashed hi-beam and honked my horn a lot at people in front of me at intersections!
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
If you only have the one bike you get use to it. It is a pain in the ass if you have other bikes with standard turn signals. It is like owning one car with the typical gas on the right and brake on the left and another car with the gas on the left and brake on the right. Everytime I change bikes I have to look down to figure out where the turn signals are. It takes 2 hands to make a left hand turn with the BMW switches. It just doesn't make sense.
+1 It's a typical BMW thing which makes aboslutely no sense. Using the turn signals on the old system requires more attention than necessary and this is always a bad thing when riding a bike.

BMW knows this since ages but Bavarians are willful. You may say ass like. Which means you keep on doing stupid things although you know it better. Like the ugly trun klid of the older BMW 7 series limousine. It was pig ugly and many thousand orders have been cancelled (in our company the whole BMW fleet contract was cancelled) but BMW stuck with it and presented a design superstar (C.Bangle) who obviously had the worst hangover when designing that most hated BMW car ever.

It is normal that fans of the brand have no problem with pecularities, they call it character and all other people who think its just shit are fuzzy idiots.
But I am not a BMW fan (although I own a F8) so I can say its just bullshit to have three switches for the blinkers And BMW guys arrogant as they are say loud and clear that their shitty turn signal system is just the best and the only reason why they changed to the "jap" system is due to the lack of space for other switches.

Go ahead flame me to death

Steveman screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 07:20 AM Reason: spelling error
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote