ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,145
GPS for Android-based Smartphones

I did a few searches and didn't find what I was looking for. It seems hard to believe that there isn't a mega-thread on this topic on advrider... So if there is, could someone please provide me a link? Otherwise...

I just dumped Apple for a Samsung Galaxy S3. On my iPhone I had been using Navigon. I know it is available for purchase for my GS3, but I was really unhappy with the app on my iPhone and am not in a hurry to give it a try on my new phone. What are you guys using for cell signal-free navigation? I ride on the street virtually always. I wander off onto some light trails occasionally, but it happens so infrequently and I'm usually close enough to a paved road that I don't need offroad navigation capability. I just want a good road navigation app.

So, what say ye advrider?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
The Cyclops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,789
I have never heard anything good from any offline app, but I wanted to get in the conversation in case something has changed.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Darmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Have you tried google's program Navigation? You first can select maps, then from there, select the blue arrow icon and it will give you turn by turn.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I did a few searches and didn't find what I was looking for. It seems hard to believe that there isn't a mega-thread on this topic on advrider... So if there is, could someone please provide me a link? Otherwise...

I just dumped Apple for a Samsung Galaxy S3. On my iPhone I had been using Navigon. I know it is available for purchase for my GS3, but I was really unhappy with the app on my iPhone and am not in a hurry to give it a try on my new phone. What are you guys using for cell signal-free navigation? I ride on the street virtually always. I wander off onto some light trails occasionally, but it happens so infrequently and I'm usually close enough to a paved road that I don't need offroad navigation capability. I just want a good road navigation app.

So, what say ye advrider?
navigation = googles own nav, built into google maps is the best in the world

offroad/offline = dualsportmaps (bad ui, ok offline, ok app), or oruxmaps, or whatever you find on the market.

for offline, I've given up on having a good reliable app. they jujst freeze, c rash, track wrong, or loose gps signal for no apparent reason. just today dualsportmaps had my phone shutting down while hiking. oruxmaps has the shittiest re-referencing and repositioning spontinaity ever.

ill be happy when they finally make offline maps effing WORK without all the extra bs settings, options, and stupid ui mistaks.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Darmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I think that Google maps app did have a good UI for downloading sections, areas of maps. I am not sure how well it works or if it works with navigation. I have t mobile and there are at times heading to NC from SC signal is not the best and have issues with the programs not creating a route. So, here's hoping you have good coverage even if you did download different maps.

[QUOTE=ohgood;20000404
ill be happy when they finally make offline maps effing WORK without all the extra bs settings, options, and stupid ui mistaks.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

The Google Navigation offline is nearly worthless. The allowable sections of map to be saved are too small. I'm looking for something with downloadable maps for an entire country/continent.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,589
www.dualsportmaps.com. There's a thread in vendors, and an android app. Many many people swear by it. i've used it several times with great success.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
www.dualsportmaps.com. There's a thread in vendors, and an android app. Many many people swear by it. i've used it several times with great success.
+1 so far so good for me
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

That looks like a good app... Just not for what I'll be using it for.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #10
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
That looks like a good app... Just not for what I'll be using it for.
you need to define more clearly then. :-)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
you need to define more clearly then. :-)
A road navigation device. Not an offroad navigation device. I want a turn-by-turn navigator.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
What your looking for may be Motionx Drive (the road version of MotionX) but apparently it's an iPhone exclusive. Motionx rocks. http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,111
Quote:
The Google Navigation offline is nearly worthless. The allowable sections of map to be saved are too small. I'm looking for something with downloadable maps for an entire country/continent.
Then you did not do it right. Or what is "worthless" to you is gold to most. I have the entire west coast on my phone and it works. If I had no more memory and needed the entire country, a clever person would just download more when they do have a signal.

I have mentioned this several times with little reaction. Google Maps gives you exactly what the OP asks for. And it is free. That may be the problem, people seem to demand something they need to pay for. I would not want to be in the GPS or map selling business right now.

Tweaker screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:24 AM
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Then you did not do it right. Or what is "worthless" to you is gold to most. I have the entire west coast on my phone and it works.

I have mentioned this several times with little reaction. Google Maps gives you exactly what the OP asks for. And it is free. I would not want to be in the GPS or map selling business right now.
How did you load it into you phone? Is there an app for that to make it easy?

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 976
I've been using offline maps for a long time on my phone, and using my phone clipped to the handlebars.

I'm currently using CoPilot Live. This does almost everything I need. You can just have the maps on 2D or 3D ( I hate 3D). You can route using different rules for quickest or more scenic, etc. But it does not have tracks that are practical to export.

I also use OSMand+. Cheap. The maps are free. It does tracks well and has a pretty good feature set. Routing is a bit weak, but that isn't the reason I use it.It has a neat feature where you set the destination, and it gives you a simple map, with an arrow pointing towards the destination. You select the path you want to take by looking at the map or just randomly driving. You glance at the arrow occasionally to see if you are headed in the right general direction. Neat way to explore, yet still get to a destination.

Then there is Trapster and Waze. both are online maps with police and traffic camera warnings.

And of course Google maps, which are great for planning and searching, but limited on routing types.

I've tried Orux maps and a few others, but I just can't get used to them.