Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I was expecting something completely different. Stairs have a different meaning to off road riders in rock country. But actual stairs are just a bumpy ramp. Unless maybe you are facing something like the Exorcist stairs.........

Old 11-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
jrou111
Stair Climber

Oddometer: 256
I've ridden up and down stairs a bit on my WR250X supermoto and here's some things I've found that work for me...

When going up stairs, it's different from going up a hill of the same incline. I have to lean way back to keep the front wheel from digging into the edge of the step. So lean back and let that front wheel come up. You also have to stay on the throttle. If you chop the throttle the forks will dive and you'll bottom out or stall out.

Going down stairs is simple. Just like going down a steep hill, you keep your weight back and use the back brake to slow your speed.
jrou111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 127
Never tried it myself but I live in a small town the motorcycle police uses as a training facility. Next to my house is a one story staircase to the main shopping street and I see them driving up and down this staircase, which is not very wide, every month. They do it on BMW RT's, mainly they use 850's of some years ago for training new cops.
Now I ride with some officers in my club, and some of them are very experienced riders, but I also see a lot of police riders that make me think, maybe you should get some training.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I was expecting something completely different. Stairs have a different meaning to off road riders in rock country. But actual stairs are just a bumpy ramp. Unless maybe you are facing something like the Exorcist stairs.........

I have very, VERY good mountain biking skills. I am a very proficient rider. I sat at the top of those stairs for 5 minutes contemplating riding down them. They are just steep and narrow, and I wussed out. One of those things you KNOW you can do, but you are just too chicken to try.

I was kicked off the Canadian Embassy for jumping off their stairs on my MTB.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
c5babe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264

See those stairs behind the fountain? I used to ride them on my bicycle when I was in 4th grade. It was a blast. It's 3 flights of 30 or so stairs. I'd also slide down the grassy slope on a flattened cardboard box. Damn! I had a great childhood!

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I have very, VERY good mountain biking skills. I am a very proficient rider. I sat at the top of those stairs for 5 minutes contemplating riding down them. They are just steep and narrow, and I wussed out. One of those things you KNOW you can do, but you are just too chicken to try.

I was kicked off the Canadian Embassy for jumping off their stairs on my MTB.

Barry
That wasn't wussing out or chickening out my friend. That was wising up.

Christ, I don't even like walking down those stairs
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Not a problem, even on a heavy pig of a bike like a DL.

Helps to have tread but NOT have knobs. Last time for me was a couple of years back, got lost in a maze of twisty little passages looking for the parking at a Uni where I had a meeting. Spotted the bike park, 60m down there .....

Made sure there's no one coming up and just rode down and parked the bike - got a standing ovation from the crowd of students and made it to the meeting on time.

Take it slow, lots of rear brake, only use the front brake when it's on the flat bits, and line up the turns really far in advance.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #23
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
never been up stairs, but going down just feels like a little hill
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #24
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,672

Escalators . . . but ATGATT only.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #25
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

That picture creeps me out worse than the Exorcist stairs.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post

A guy from a local forum went down those stairs on a supermoto.

09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,363
I've done a fair amount of this when I had my 950 SE. Down is easy except you really need to watch the angle of the top, if the stairs are steep and the bike has a longer wheel base you can knock the skid plate pretty hard on the top step. Up is pretty simple, get on the pegs, keep on the throttle and hit it. I've even done a few sets up and down with a light passenger.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #28
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
So how exactly did that happen? Seems like there might be a funny story behind this...
It wasn't that funny, just dumb. I was riding around town, got up on to a sidewalk to park, and totally ignored my surroundings - where I parked was wide and street-level. Where I was going wasn't. It was raised up off the grass about a foot on the left, and against a building on the right, and about a meter wide. No turning around, and the one-foot dropoff was not looking good. So I took the stairs.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
Going up, for me, was all about commitment. Line up, throttle up, and tell myself I could do it until I popped over the top. I had to tell myself that indecision or changing my mind halfway up would lead to certain fiery death. After I did it the first time on three steps, I worked my way up. Seem like a piece of cake now, but the 'Exorcist steps' in the picture are probably beyond my nerve.

I went to an abandoned steel mill site that had a lot of foundations and steps, and learned to ride steps and ride off ledges, starting small and getting bigger. Didn't see a soul the whole time.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
Going up, for me, was all about commitment. Line up, throttle up, and tell myself I could do it until I popped over the top. I had to tell myself that indecision or changing my mind halfway up would lead to certain fiery death.

THIS. ^^^^^^

indecision = bad

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote